What is your favourite beer with pizza?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I don't know....

It seems to me that pretty much any beer tastes great with pizza, but some beers seem to taste even better. Maybe it's just me?

To point out a couple of "commercial" examples, I've noticed that Beck's really, really seems to taste good with pizza, to me. A couple of other really good ones would be Hofbräu's Original and Peroni. These beers, at least to my palate, seem to really play well with pizza, and vice-versa.

I actually prefer soda, like cherry Pepsi, with pizza. I do, however, prefer IPA with wings.

Depends on the pizza type and beer type. In general, lagers go good with every kind of pizza, but especially Pilsners. If we go to specific pizza types, then I can get into specific beer types. For example, pepperoni and jalapeno pizza pairs well with IPAs and APAs (and, of course, pairs well with lagers since lagers go well with every pizza type). There was this "German pizza" that I got before that went really good with dark beers like stouts and porters.

Munich Helles is my go to with Italian style pizza. I also really like Peroni and other lighter european style lagers in general.

With American style pizzas, I really enjoy amber ales or IPA's.

I almost always eat Italian style pizza though :D

IPA or a pale ale, basically something with enough hop presence to cut through the pizza and that finishes dry

I always head for my Pilsner or Helles tap when we do pizza. Nice, clean and refreshing w/o bogging down with hops and overly complex malts. I like for my beer to compliment my food, not clash them as in a fistfight with each other. My wife heads for the Hefe tap on pizza nite. I make her Hefes more neutral w/o hard banana or clove, so they are more subdued than some. The wheat in the Hefe makes for a bready finish which compliments the pizza dough and crust.

Let me add that I did try a mild Gose sour with my last pizza. Very low IBU's, but the sourness caused a slight distraction in my taste buds. It was acceptable but I shifted back to a lager on beer #2 with same pizza.

Depends on the pizza... and what is it about your posts Ron that I just can't seem to stop putting my 2 cents on.

Stout and porter is great with a heavy meat pizza or Chicago style pizza
Any Amber Lager/ale with the supremes out there
Stone/brick oven pizzas need a light APA, ESB, Bel Pils, Kolsch, Czech Pils, American Blonde, or Cream Ale (margarita pizzas def all the above)

I agree that anything cold and overall bitter goes with anything spicy

I could keep going but I really shouldn't

LOL - I guess great minds simply think alike on subjects such as this!

My usual go-to pizza is a thin crust with pepperoni and green olive (and for Pete's sake, get it from some old, local, hole-in-the-wall, mom-and-pop pizza place). Sometimes, anchovies might be there with (or instead of) the olives. I like any pizza, but that's probably my favourite. A little extra spice on the pepperoni never hurt anything, either. For something like that, those Beck's/Peroni/Hofbräu and similar beers really seem to hit the spot. In my mind (which could be completely wrong), they seem to be great pizzeria beers.

If you can get it Yuengling original amber lager is pretty amazing with pizza. And honestly it has been my favorite American commercial lager for years, but I have to go out of state to get it. Anchor and Founders and hill farmstead for other reasons, but that's thread hijacking.

Believe it or not, I don't think I can get a single one of those mentioned above locally! :( But, I'll keep an eye out. We're doing some traveling later in July, and I'll be going through a couple of more-populated areas...so I might find them.

A lot of the beers I drink are meals themselves but when I drink with food I like light, crisp, refreshing blonde-amber beers, anywhere from mild to aggressively hoppy.

Great replies guys - thanks!

We had pizza over the weekend, but the only choices were Bud Light or Coors Light. We went with the Colorado Kool-Aid, which in my opinion was the better of the two choices - however, it just wasn't the same....

IPA and pizza is my go to, anything bold and spicy pairs really good with IPA. There is a Thai place in my town that makes amazing spicy squid fried rice and holy wow that is so good with a big DIPA

The 3 C's of diamonds= Cut, Clarity and Carat.
The 3 C's of beverage paring= Cut, Complement, and Contrast.

The trick is to include all the ingredients. For instance a hefeweizen would complement the yeast and wheat of the crust, tartness will cut through the cheese, and the fruitiness will contrast the savory toppings.

That's why I think the particular type of IPA counts here. More sessionable ones with pizzas that tend to the savory. The bolder ones with spicy...

Here's another great one that I discovered this past weekend at Bullman's Wood-Fired Pizza in Helena, Montana:

Flensburger Pilsener:

flensburger-pilsener.jpg

This was absolutely wonderful with our pizza, which was sort of a Pizza Margherita (tomato sauce, mozzarella and basil) with pepperoni added. It was a bit malty, yet had a nice, crisp-ish mouth-feel, and what seemed like a touch of honey at the end.

My favourite "pizza beer" is probably still Becks, with Peroni as a very close second; but when it came to this, I was a huge fan, and will definitely try it again, one of these days.

Any other good pizza beers out there?

Had a pizza with Spanish Serrano ham and green olives with fresh basil at a cafe just down the street from the Basilica in Budapest last night. Paired it with a half liter of Pilsner Urquell. Went down nice and easy.

I can't explain it (don't judge): Sam Adams Boston Lager

It's been my go-to Pizza beer since I first had it in 2005.

I've tried IPAs, Porters, Pale Ales, Saisons, Pilsners, Coors Light, Miller Light... but nothing "works" for me like Boston Lager does.

No Boston Lager? I go with water.

Back