What is your favorite Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lroog

Reaction score
I am just about ready to drink my PA that I made with sorichi (sp) hops. I used the same recipe for grain, yeast, and whatnot but I switched up the hops to see what the difference will be. I'm looking forward to drinking both types of PA side by side to taste the difference.

What are some of the different hops you use for a PA?

I'm interested to hear what you think about the sorachi ace pale ale. If it's good, then I would like to see your recipe. I just bought some of these hops and that sounds right up my alley.

As far as my favorite, I haven't brewed with too many different kinds, but I would have to say that my favorite is probably summit, which I made a delicious pale ale with.

I never thought I was an English pale ale type of guy... then I made a recipe using East Kent Goldings and Fuggles. I really, really loved that beer and will be brewing many similar to it. Cascade, Centennial, and Amarillo are also easy favorites.

for american pale ales - Cascade, hands down. The classic.
Simcoe and Columbus make good beers, too, though I'm not a huge fan of Amarillo and other really tropical-fruity hops like US Goldings.

For English beers, I really dig Styrian Goldings. Fuggles are supposedly pretty similar, and I also really like Challenger, Northdown, and First Gold hops.

Centennial is my #1 for IPAs
Cascades for my Pale Ales
Fuggles for bitters and esb's
EKG's for porters and Stouts

If I could only have one....

Cascades b/c of its versitility

It's hard to say which hop is my favorite, that changes all the time. But I can tell you what hop I buy the most of: it's Willamette. Red Ale, American Wheat, Brown, Stout, they all work fantastic with Willamette.
There is another thing about Willamette: mix it with Cascade and you have totally different and awesome taste, unlike Willamette or Cascade alone. Try it in IPAs, APA, American Wheat etc. you will be surprised how much better your beers can be because of this hop mix.

Hallertauer and Saaz for German and Belgian styles, EKG and Fuggles for UK styles and Cascade and Amarillo hops for American ales.

I used whole Cascade in Hefe I brewed at the end of May. Turned out so good the keg is now empty!

Cascade is tops for pale ale, utterly dreamy when dry-hopped! Best hop aroma ever might be from Spalt Select...

Cascade is tops for pale ale, utterly dreamy when dry-hopped! Best hop aroma ever might be from Spalt Select...

hmm interesting, im not sure how i feel about spalt, i used some in an alt recently and it was a different and pleasant smell, though i only used an unfortunately tiny amount for aroma. definitely nice though and i should try a larger amount next time

Well both beers are very good.

The Sorichi(sp) hops definitely have a citrus aroma and flavor. It's fun to take both beers side by side and get the taste difference.

Back