What is your favorite extract beer to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsmitty

Reaction score
Trying to figure out what i want to brew next, and was wondering what everyones favorite extract brew was. One of your own recipes? a kit from someplace? Would really love to brew a lager but i dont think i have the equiptment setup that i need for that just yet. Have a brown ale fermenting right now and plan on brewing something else the day i bottle the brown ale to start a good rotation of beer. Hopefully it will work out to where by the time im done drinking one batch the other will be close to being finished. So please share what ur favorite extract brew is and give me some ideas!!!

I shop at Northern Brewer. So far what I always have on hand: American Amber Ale, Caribou Slobber, Dry Irish Stout, Speckled Heifer, Bavarian Hefeweizen, and Witbier. Which I prefer at the moment is what pairs best with the current meal. Then I'll brew something different because it sounds interesting. May look at a Saison next.

I brew the Patersbier extract kit from Northern Brewer more than any other beer. So simple, great and inexpensive. The perfect summer beer!!!

8oz Briess 40L
4oz Caramunich II
2lb Briess Golden Light DME
6lb Briess Pilsen LME
1lb Corn Sugar
0.50oz Sterling 60m
1.00oz Saaz 15m
WLP566
8.4%ABV

That is for a full boil. Double the 60m addition for a partial boil.

2 cans Muntons bock
5 oz corn sugar
.5lb victory
.5lb munich

Steep grains 155 deg.
Remove grain add sugar and bring to a boil
Dump warmed extract into fermenter and add wort.
Add distilled water to bring up to batch size 5.5 gal.
Add two packs 05
Yummy.

The Woodforde's range, canned by Muntons, is very good, although they seem to skimp on the amount of kit yeast supplied. The kits consist of two identical pre hopped cans, yeast, and a hops sachet with, I think, the Admiral's Reserve kit. Great English Ale styles IMHO, and also in the opinion of a couple of relatives who consider themselves to be beer connoisseurs.

The Kilkenny Irish Ale extract kit at my LHBS is -- pardon me -- killer! Hoptech in Dublin, CA. I believe it is available online, if interested. Easy to brew, too.

I do a extract lager that i love
3.3# can breiss pilsner lme
3.3# can breiss munich lme
1.5oz. hallertaeu @ 60 min.
1.5oz. hallertaeu @ 20 min.
3/4 oz hallertaeu dry hop
munich lager yeast
you can do the primary at cellar temps around 58 for 2 weeks then put it in your fridge for a month of secondary or hang it off the dock in alaska like I do:D

Back