What is your cleaning/sanitization process?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer1222

Reaction score
How much cleaning do you do? I am not sure if I'd doing too much or to little but cleaning/sanitizing are time-consuming.

My process is
1. hose the bucket off till I cant see any dirt/sludge
2. fill it to the brim, add Oxyclean, wait 1 hour or more
3. rinse 3 times and store

And then when I use it again

1. rinse
2. fill and sanitize with Starsan

Say you just bottled your beer so you have a giant dirty plastic food bucket - what is your routine for cleaning it and then sanitizing it for use next time?

This process sounds pretty much OK to me..but I almost never use Oxi-Clean on a plastic bucket, unless once in a blue moon when I de-stain it. Then I'll do an Oxi-Clean soak. When I'm through fermenting, I loosen up all the gunk inside with the sink sprayer, then take the bucket out and dump all the stuff on the compost heap. Then I bring it inside and wash it out good with dish detergent (Dawn, Palmolive) using a sponge only. When clean, I rinse it out good, and store it until next time. The next brew day, I spray down the inside with Star San (including the lid, obviously), and I'm good to go.
Cleaning the bottling bucket is similar, but easier because there's no caked-on krausen inside. I just make sure that I take off the spigot, and disassemble and clean it, too.

Another one who uses dish soap to clean out the bucket and then store until next use. When I use it again, I clean it again with a sponge and dish soap and rinse in the sink, then pour in about one gallon of Star San and use a paper town to rinse and splash all over the bucket and lid. Then I put all my other items in the bucket and let them set until I am ready to use them. When it's time to use the bucket, the only think left inside is the airlock so I pit it together and add Star San to it, take the paper town and rewet the sides of the bucket and lid and add my wort.

the only difference in my process is i don't use a bottling bucket, and am almost always cleaning a fermenter with a kruzen ring around the top

overnight soak with oxiclean

2.5gal batch of starsan, and swirl to make sure everything has contact (uses less sanitizer)

Back