What is worse? Supper high FG? Or risking "dry" enzyme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jes2xu

Reaction score
I messed up my first BIAB batch and mashed at a really high temp. I am almost certain I know what went wrong and how to fix it.

Now I am looking for information on how to make THIS BATCH the most drinkable. This was going to be a cascade APA, based on Edwort's recipe ( can post the full grain/hop bill if you want)

The OG was 1.060 ( also high, also know why) and it has been steady at 1.034 for 3 days now. Given the expected FG is 1.013 it's still supper high! Haha.

So the question is will this be more likely to be drinkable if:
A). Screw it, just bottle the sucker! Hmmmm sweet sweet APA!
B). Risk it and try some drying enzyme!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

How high did you mash? What was the actual grain bill and yeast you used? Also, are you measuring the gravity with a hydrometer or a refractometer?

I made an amber ale that I messed up on when I first started doing BIAB. Had a buddy over, didn't pay nearly enough attention to what was happening, ended up mashing at something like 160 and I was dumping grains into my crusher without thinking about the recipe so I accidentally added 2 pounds of crystal malts (about 20% of the total grain bill). I got from 1.050 down to 1.024. It's not at all what I wanted to brew that day, but it's a low ABV and full bodied beer that has enough hop presence to balance out the sweetness - not a terrible beer like I was worried it would be, in other words.

How high did you mash? What was the actual grain bill and yeast you used? Also, are you measuring the gravity with a hydrometer or a refractometer?

I made an amber ale that I messed up on when I first started doing BIAB. Had a buddy over, didn't pay nearly enough attention to what was happening, ended up mashing at something like 160 and I was dumping grains into my crusher without thinking about the recipe so I accidentally added 2 pounds of crystal malts (about 20% of the total grain bill). I got from 1.050 down to 1.024. It's not at all what I wanted to brew that day, but it's a low ABV and full bodied beer that has enough hop presence to balance out the sweetness - not a terrible beer like I was worried it would be, in other words.

I will post the full recipe below for full clarity.

But I mashed supper high at around 164f / 74c. I misunderstood a few fields in my software, and also transposed numbers for the strike temp. So while I was being supper accurate and careful, I was aiming for the wrong numbers! Haha

Yeah I hear you, it is a cascade APA with a fair amount of late addition hops to carry the sweetness. But 1.034!?!?!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401482030.892706.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1401482098.272943.jpg

Are you talking about amylase enzyme? I've used it one time in a beer that was about twenty points too high. Mind you, it was an old ale that started up around 1.090. For various reasons it stopped about 1.045 and I was shooting for around 1.025. I tried a bunch of different things to try to get the yeast going. I eventually added like a 1/2 a teaspoon or so of amylase and it brought it down to 1.035. I didn't want to mess with it anymore and settled on that as the FG. Amylase can work, but I've only used it that one time when all else failed. I would not use Beano or anything similar. That can give you the opposite problem of having a beer that's too dry.

Are you talking about amylase enzyme? I've used it one time in a beer that was about twenty points too high. Mind you, it was an old ale that started up around 1.090. For various reasons it stopped about 1.045 and I was shooting for around 1.025. I tried a bunch of different things to try to get the yeast going. I eventually added like a 1/2 a teaspoon or so of amylase and it brought it down to 1.035. I didn't want to mess with it anymore and settled on that as the FG. Amylase can work, but I've only used it that one time when all else failed. I would not use Beano or anything similar. That can give you the opposite problem of having a beer that's too dry.

I can't seem to find amalayse sold by name here. Instead I can get my hands on this sort of thing.
http://www.brewshop.co.nz/low-carb-dry-enzyme.html

like u said I was worried it would just start cleaving away and not stop! I get the feeling that a APA at 1.004 would be worse the one at 1.034!?!?

I can't seem to find amalayse sold by name here. Instead I can get my hands on this sort of thing.
http://www.brewshop.co.nz/low-carb-dry-enzyme.html

like u said I was worried it would just start cleaving away and not stop! I get the feeling that a APA at 1.004 would be worse the one at 1.034!?!?

Yeah, amylase is more controlled. Using Beano, which is a different process, will cleave everything up and the yeast will go to town and suddenly you will have champagne beer.

You can apparently add amylase during the mashing process, but I've only ever used it one time to "rescue" a pretty sweet beer. The stuff in that link sure sounds like amylase, but it's hard to say from the description.

I'm not sure amylase is necessarily the best option. However, a lot of people get it confused with Beano and, unlike Beano, I definitely can see where it can have uses in the brewing process.

Choice thanks a bunch for the info!

I think I may just bottle it after cold crashing. That way I can free up the fermenting fridge for a new brew faster:) haha

Back