What is too much for a regular Monster Mill MM3?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javert

Reaction score
My partner in crime and I recently acquired a Monster Mill MM3 mill. Regular one, not the Pro or ProPD version.

We have been happy with it so far, using it for barley and wheat malts and maybe unmalted ones in the future. Upon browsing, I'm a little worried about the excerpt on the Monster Mill site:

We do NOT recommend this mill for any commercial operation, brew shop, brewery etc.

Where exactly is the bound between homebrewing and commercial operation? I use it once a week at best to brew a 5 gal batch, which means a load of about 4 kg (8,8 lb) a week and if we're feeling industrious, maybe two batches a week.

What is the lifespan I can expect from the mill?

To put it into perspective, I mill about 200 pounds a day at my shop. That is more like what they meant by commercial.

That sounds like a very busy mill! And quite happy, probably, doing all day what it is meant to do.

Looking at the product detail for the replacement rollers for your mill, Monster Mills provides a life expectancy of 12,000-15,000 pounds of grain. At the rate you're going, that should last you for at least 1,363 brews

https://www.monsterbrewinghardware.c...-2-3-8p155.htm

Thanks, I see. It seems like quite the quota for homebrewing. No time to lose, gotta plan the batches in order to get the malt grains through it.

I wore out the standard 1.5" rollers in seven years by milling about 800 pounds per year. When I bought a new one, I bought the 2" rollers that were heated treated (hardened).

When I wore mine out, MB did not sell replacement rollers. My original mill was a very early model. They simply told me to buy a new mill. I guess they have since had a demand for replacement rollers...

I had a monster 1.5'' 2 roller mill I finally killed it after around 10,000-12,000 lbs of grain ( a tad bit under the 12-15000) it worked beautifully until the very last batch of beer. I brew a metric ----ton of beer we are currently at 170 gallons this year alone and the last brew required 184lb of grain in one shot.

Latest posts

Back