What is this rust on my brand new kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get what your saying but it doesnt normally work that way though... if you buy a scratch and dent item and then find another scratch elsewhere the store usually sees that as the same defect... its cosmetically flawed period. like a blem tire or car battery the warranty if any doesnt cover any cosmetic flaws that may result from use.
Granted Spike may still replace it especially due to this thread but the fact it you stated you bought a high end kettle and left out the fact that you did not pay the high end price for the full "support" which no doubt is one of the reasons they cost more normally to cover losses from people who want to return them...\ Honestly if they were super quick to replace it with a new one I might question what kind of costs replacement policies like that would have on the overall cost being higher for it... I for one like reasonable prices for quality products with reasonable warranties vs high costs for great return policies.... getting the most for your money is obviously a factor for you too since you bought from the bargain blem clearance section..

While I completely see your point, I am not here to try to get a replacement kettle or I would be talking to the company and not sitting here on a forum. After all, this thread is named "what is this rust on my brand new kettle" not "should I return this kettle". I was simply looking for input on what was going on and if it was an issue at all....

While I completely see your point, I am not here to try to get a replacement kettle or I would be talking to the company and not sitting here on a forum. After all, this thread is named "what is this rust on my brand new kettle" not "should I return this kettle". I was simply looking for input on what was going on and if it was an issue at all....

Understood... It seemed like you were going to use the thread as leverage against the seller... There has actually been a few threads like that here I've come across.

A couple thingsyou can try if you want to stop the rusting you could leave water in it so the iron rusts faster and you can remove it when cleaning. You can also use a dap of jb weld in the pitted area. (it is food safe I use it myself in a bad weld seam on one of my cheap no name conicals).

Reading a previous post about leaving the forum reminded me of an old saying my dear, sweet grandmother used to say, rest her soul. It had something to do with doors making forceful contact with one's backside. I wish I could remember how it went exactly....

not to get off topic but if its 304 stainless PBW/oxyclean is completely safe and how breweries clean thier 304 stainless equipment.. In fact the whole reason breweries even use 304 stainless is its ability to hold up to even much straonger caustic cleaners they use...

SSbrewtech doesnt make thier products. they may design them but it seems they have a bit to learn about 304 stainless and why its normally used... Its not just for a cool marketing term in real brewery use.

I'm actually having a hard time swallowing that they told you this. Are you sure your not mistaken?

Yea, it was on the directions, which of course I read right after cleaning it with oxyclean lol. It didn't do anything to the kettle, but it was certainly on the pamphlet the pot came with. I shrugged it off, I have been using oxyclean for years since it rinses out easier than other cleaners. I think it did say PBW was O.K. though which contains oxyclean anyways.

Back