What is this gonna make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moshmont

Reaction score
Well...
My my local brew shop made up a grain bill for me & accidentally mistaken 1.2 ounces of Belgian Aromatic for 1.6 pounds!
I'm brewing a small batch (1 gallon) & this is what I'm using:

1 LB Belgian Pilsner Malt
8 ounces Belgian Wheat
6.5 ounces Flaked Wheat
1.5 LB Belgian Aromatic (instead of 1.5 ounces)
0.8 ounces Flaked Oats

0.2 oz. Hallertau (60 min)
0.1 oz. Hallertau (15 min)
0.1 oz. Saaz (1 min)
1/2 tsp Coriander (15 min)
0.4 0z. Lime Zest (15 min)
Belgian Witbier Yeast (WLP400)

With all that Aromatic involved, should I have the grain bill replaced or will I get a good beer out of it?

A sweet mess. Belgian aromatic is a lightly roasted malt similar to crystal 20. Typically, it's used very sparingly in most recipes (max. about 10% of the total grain bill). By using it as the majority of your grains, it's going to instill a ton of unfermentable sugars into the beer leaving you with a very malty sweet beer mess. I would either fix the grain bill by brewing a larger batch (say ten gallons) or just have the LHBS replace the grains. If you gave them the right amounts and they measured and grinded the WRONG amount of grain, it's their fault, not yours.

I agree with 'aiptasia', the LHBS should replace your grain if it is in fact their fault. What you have now does not sound appealing at all as it stands.

Interesting.

I'd say ditch it. It's not going to come out drinkable.

If you want to try to save some, you could shake it up and pitch it on some apple juice or cider. It'd bring the OG of that juice up real quick, and probably be fairly tasty (though funky) when done.

thats more like a 10 gallon batch amount of aromatic malt. you could try it, but I don't think it will be very good. of course, I could be wrong and it could somehow work.

I agree that the recipe isn't great now- but aromatic malt is generally a Munich malt, and not a crystal malt. It can even be used as base malt. I wouldn't use it at 100% for base malt, but it could be done.

Back