What is this brown goo coming out the top of my fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoslo

Reaction score
Hello my dear friends.

I have a vigorious fermentation. My airlock is filling up with brown crap, and when I unscrew the cap for the airlock, i find the brown crap filling up my airlock up wanting to climb out of the fermenter.

Is this yeast?

Should I dump it back in with a sanitized spoon, so that I will have more yeast available for when I will take the yeast cake and make some new batches with it? Or should I take great care not to dump it back in in case it ruins my beer?

Here are some pictures:

fermenter.jpg

Oh yeah, I've been good boy with sanitation. How many times may I reuse this yeast? OG is 1.1

Thanks,
Marius

i would drop it in or clear it out.. with something sanitized. it is yeast, hot break material. also, put another airlock on that is cleared out/sanitary. you dont want it to plug up... that is one active fermentation you have there! yeqast washing depends on when you grab it and how sterile you are. see this thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

fermentation by product known as Krusten (spelling way off). Pull the air lock, clean it out, and add a blow off tube into a sanitized container preferablly somthing you can seal up and keep. I have used blow off to start new batches of the same brew if I liked it alot, or simply to expeiment with. I wouldn't chuck it bakc it once it gets past the u-bend in the air lock.

Good luck

Clean it out. The last thing you want is the opening in your fermenter to get plugged up & build up pressure. If that happens you'll end up with a beer eruption once the pressure gets too great.

Oh yeah, I've been good boy with sanitation. How many times may I reuse this yeast? OG is 1.1

I would not reuse yeast from a 1.1 OG beer, it's worked itself to death already. You can certainly give it a try though.

I second all of the above thoughts, and would add that a bigger fermenter might be good to have the next time you try a giant beer.

Also, fermcap might be an option as well.

Blow off tube is a must. Your opening looks like it might support a 1" tube.

I would not reuse yeast from a 1.1 OG beer, it's worked itself to death already. You can certainly give it a try though.

+1 That is some seriously stressed yeast you'd be harvesting. You risk harvesting yeast that have been under increased selective pressure for a while.

Back