What is the "worst" beer you like? Your guilty pleasure, if you will...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hamm's

...and Shiner Black is quite on point for a schwarzbier. It is certainly not bad beer. IMHO, it's the only thing Spoetzl makes that's worth drinking.

Yeah, I questioned whether I should even add those. I also enjoy a Bud Select from time to time.....

Old Style at a Cubbies game - preferably when they are winning! (-- yeah I know.)

I don't think Yuengling is a guilty pleasure. It's not great, but it's a step below Sam Adams and a step above the rest.

I actually enjoy Genessee. It's a good lawnmower beer, or for drinking with pizza when I want something cold.

Since I'm Buffalo raised I think I have to say Blue as well. Not generally, but when I'm at my father in law's and he has a six pack of craft and a case of Blue, I don't want to suck down his good stuff. Listen to 97 Rock while working on a car and tell me it doesn't taste good.

Steel Reserve. I knew this beer was awful when I started drinking it in college - before I really knew about good beer. But every once in awhile when I'm gearing up for a block party, I'll crack open a 22 (down from my college 40s), choke down the 9.1% metallic poison, and remember a time when I didn't have bills, I saw friends daily, more or less frequently met women who for some reason allowed me to see them without clothes on, and generally enjoyed being young.

If I ever made a beer that remotely resembled SR, I would cry myself a river. But every once in awhile...

i would have to go with lionshead....not only do you get a nice cheap beer, but you also get a nice little puzzle under the cap.

Bud Light Lime. Only had it once, on a hot morning after. Nice and refreshing. Strangely, I can't remember what it tasted like...

So, other than that, no. I just don't drink a beer I don't like.

Genessee Cream Ale, though I can't get it in my current location
High Life, generally with football
Michelob, one of the first beers I ever tasted

I don't think Yuengling is a guilty pleasure. It's not great, but it's a step below Sam Adams and a step above the rest.

I agree with that statement. Yuengling is the go-to beer in my area for block parties, weddings, whatever. I never really paid it much mind because it was so ubiquitous, but I quit drinking for about 2 years, probably didn't have a Yuengling for like 3. I had one after that long hiatus and I couldn't believe how good it tasted. Also, if you're in the 570 area code, its probably not a good idea to bad mouth Yuengling in any local bars. It's kind of a coal cracker point of pride.

My guilty pleasure beer is Schmidt's, preferably in pounders, preferably with a fish on the can.

Busch, from my College days. It was $5.00 for a twelve. Now I would have to say PBR at home in Kentucky, but I do go down to Alabama's Gulf Coast and there is a hole in the wall place I like on the beach. I get boiled shrimp and a pitcher of Yuengling. (Cannot get Yuengling in Kentucky :()

I don't know if they are "crap" beers, but I can easily drink Pacifico (esp. while eating tamales and the like!!) and there usually are some Labatt's in my fridge.

In college we had Big Bear. It was only sold in 40s and was the cheapest thing in the liquor store. It tasted like liquefied bologna soaked in King Cobra and filtered thru a used gym sock.

This. Is excellent.

Usually, when I go to a Mexican restaurant, I'll down a Negra Modela, or a Dos equis. The little fruitiness in there goes excellent with chips and salsa.

Haven't had it in ages but Michelob was my first "good" beer experience.

Had an aunt who was a distributor for Bud so that is a gimme, grew up on sips of Bud and Busch!

Apparently I am in a big minority but I will gladly drink a Foster's before BMC.

Ultimately if you are buying it, I am drinking it!

If im going to drink BMC, its either Molson Canadian or Keiths. This is usually when Im out drinking with friends, and the beer selection is exclusively BMC, so I need to find something to drink

oh and I enjoy Guinness on occasion as well. Pretty light for a stout, but still aint bad. better than BMC lager anyway

For me, BMC is either Miller High Life or Stroh's. I see them as refreshing beverages, and they don't disappoint. No thinking, no evaluating, just enjoying and moving on. For some reason, Bud, Genessee and a few others leave me with headaches. Anyone know if they use different additives / preservatives?

img_belle.jpg

I love them all! If you can find it in the US, try it! You'll not be disappointed.

PBR, MGD, bud light lime, budweiser select. I like a lot of commercial brews and there's no shame about it. Each has its place on my palette.

There's no shame in chuggin' down some good ol' American swill.
Like it or not it's part of most of our heritage!

I'm a chef by trade but I still order pizza from time to time, you know what I mean?
There's nothing wrong at all with supplementing your beer intake with some cheap stuff.

Actually, can someone link a thread where home brewers have successfully cloned or attempted to clone bud,mgd,coors etc?

From what I hear it's pretty tough!

I have several.

Cutting the grass or working on the farm - I like a so cold it hurts your teeth can of Miller High Life. ( Grew up filching pony bottles from my Pops )

Cooking out in warm weather - Corona , lime mandatory.

Cooking in cold weather - PBR cans

Goofing off, guitar picking, bull sh** session - I can get down with some Bud American Ale.

Now - Ones I USED to love, but cannot find :
Red Dog
The "RED" Miller - i LOVED it.
Country Club.
But the one I miss most of all, the one I dream about, the one I freely admit I wish I could brew a copy of just to keep all to my greedy little self - Champale. Man I loved that stuff.

PBR, Genny Cream Ale, and Stoney's all work for me in the summer when i cannot lager. My brother in law found a cheap Pils by the name of Wolters that is not too shabby as well.

Sometimes I think I am the only person in PA who doesn't like Yuengling Lager, tastes to me to use more adjunct(corn) than some of the more derided BMC types and is often skunky in bottles. I think people react positively to seeing the amber color over the typical pale yellow.

PBR... bottles,.. or for a real treat, off the tap. There's an awesome hole-in-the wall bar in Forest Grove, OR, where you can get PBR pints for a buck !!! yippie.

Start of NFL season. I had to get me a 12er of Miller High Life. Its what I do when watching Packers.

I have a special place in my heart for

sideImageBeerCan.png

Wow, that was our beer of choice back in the college/no money days. It was awful but the cheapest you could get by the case.

Recently my folks had a 6 of Miller High Life, I tried one and for a piss beer, I'll take it over any Bud or Coors. (Tho' Bud's American Ale is better, but that's not as cheap so not sure that counts...)

For cheap stuff I will have a Hamm's or Blue Moon from time to time.

I would say the best cheap beer I have had is Yuengling, but sadly I cannot get it up here. Would love to see that stuff make it out west and north.

Steel reserve, its the only "crap" beer I would actually pay for. As cheap as the beast in most places and miles ahead of anything like it.

Now i guess im about as trash as you get, on just about any given night you will catch me drinking a Budwiser, Pbr,......and..... coors banquet.... bah feels good to get that off my chest. But in all honesty dont mind em at all. Annything else that lands in my fridge be it homebrew or cases i order "family owns a grocery store" I treat it like gold. I try for one or two of the "gold" beers, and if im havin more and not feeling wealthy... back to the el cheapo.

I love me some busch light! After all, it would be a shame to pour a nice craft brew into a red plasic cup! PBR will also do in a pinch.

Pbr is a semi common occurrence, as is miller light. I have drank them since college, so its more of a throwback than anything

Really liked Bud Light Lime for about a case and now it's too sweet.

Corona with a lime. Even High Life Light with a lime in the summer.

See I don't view Yeungling as "bad" beer! It is my "go to" commercial beer when I'm out. And I like a Blue Moon and New Castle too.

A beer that I am embarrassed to say I like is Rolling Rock. LOL There I said it.

My wife's family lives up in a super small town south of Pittsburgh. We went to visit at the end of last winter, when there was still lots of snow/ice on the ground. My mother-in-law put about 12 Yuenglings in a bucket of snow, and it was damn good. There was a bar I went to all the time in college where, as soon as I walked in, the barkeep popped a Yuengling for me. You could say I like Yuengling, just a little. I have also been known to drink a few PBRs when I need something on the cheap.

I am glad to see so many commercial beer drinkers coming clean. For a while I felt like I was the only one.

Back