What is the Weirdest thing you have ever brewed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmiser

BrewMiser
Reaction score
I was just reading about Artichoke beer in a book & was wondering what is the weirdist Beer you have brewed. :fro:

I haven't brewed anything very odd yet, but I once filled a growler with an ESB and 1/3 cup of maple syrup which very quickly showed an infection. I just left it alone for 3 months and then drank it. It was actually quite good.

chocolate jalepeno ale when i first started - had quite a kick- the last bottle 6 months after brewing was quite enjoyable though.
the mountain dew brew in my primary tasted pretty good from the hydro sample - time will tell.

I take grains, soak them in hot water until they give up their juices. Then I boil that with flowers for an hour and then let it sit for weeks while I allow microorganisms digest it. Then I drink what they leave behind.

When you really think about it... How much weirder does it get? :D

I take grains, soak them in hot water until they give up their juices. Then I boil that with flowers for an hour and then let it sit for weeks while I allow microorganisms digest it. Then I drink what they leave behind.

Ha^^

My wierdest is still in the primary. Tomato beer?!?

By G*d, that is kinda weird after all...:drunk:

Blackberry Braggot. I would do it all over again with more blackberry this time. It was... amazingly a mix between champaign, beer, and win almost when It came out. Also because I over-carbonated the hell out of it. I'm not usually a fan of fruit in my beer.

Made a jalapeno beer once, really overdid it with the peppers, it is undrinkable. But I haven't thrown any out; i use it for cooking.

Also made a potato beer- that one turned out great. Maybe I should do that one again.

I did a hot pepper ale once. You didn't notice it until about 15 seconds after you drank it. Then it made you feel like a dragon! My friends loved it. :tank:I haven't done any since.

Made a jalapeno beer once, really overdid it with the peppers, it is undrinkable. But I haven't thrown any out; i use it for cooking.

Also made a potato beer- that one turned out great. Maybe I should do that one again.

Wow, so you actually "mashed potatoes".

Lotta starch there, I'd be interested in the recipe you used.

I make a potato pale ale often and it turns out just excellent. Very very good. Last batch was 1 pound of russets to one gallon of beer. I made a root beer beer once as a request of my daughter, it did not turn out very good. Could not get it sweet enough. She tried some with a scoop of ice cream and still was awful.

Bruce

Lemongrass Lychee Wheat. Initially was a lemongrass wheat, the lemongrass gave it a weird soapy/mineral taste, so I added pasteurized lychee juice and potassium sorbate. Ended up, drinkable, but that is about it.

Welches Grape Juice from concentrate with Flieschmanns yeast when I was 15.

They actually market KITS to do that, now!

box_only_simple2.png

It's being sold locally in convenience stores - my buddy is a manager at one and I gave him a ration of -poop- about selling "prison wine" kits. :D

(If they weren't ten bucks a copy, I'd buy one and try it, just for the halibut).

I haven't brewed anything bizarre, but the weirdest thing I drank was "chili" beer. There was an actual chili pepper in the bottle. The "heat" was fun, but the vegetal aspect from the pepper was NASTY.

still working on a cider, ummm, thing...been sitting for a couple months now. God only knows what it is...

I've brewed a pineapple-basil blonde ale. I also bottled a licorice stout about 5 weeks ago that is at the moment still pretty crappy.

I haven't done anything to weird yet, but a buddy made a peanut butter ale a few months ago. He said it turned out about as good as you'd expect. Tasty, but nothing to quaff.

i've done the peanut butter ale, pretty good. definitely not for everybody though.

This last weekend me and a friend brewed an American Pale Ale in a pumpkin. Did the mash in the pumpkin, moved everything to my mash tun to drain and sparge from there. Then after the boil we added it all back to the pumpkin to ferment. It's a 5 gallon batch, but we actually could have gotten 10 gallons inside the pumpkin solidly. 92 lb pumpkin.

Going to move to secondary in a couple of days.

No it did happen there is another thread on here with a link that has pics. Not sure if it's the same guy but there was defiantly mashing and fermenting in a pumpkin

Something like "pumpkin beer in 20 steps" or something like that. I can't seem to find it now

Nope not the same person, but I do have pictures, or rather my friend does, and I will check and see if he can upload them to post.

I did a peanut butter and strawberry jelly beer right before I left for Afghanistan. If you "breathed" over it while it was in your mouth it tasted no kidding like a PB&J! The trouble was that I don't think I got enough of the oil from the peanut butter out and it left almost the exact same texture in your mouth as the sandwich! I think I still have 12 of them left so when I get back I'll have to see how they mellowed out. It's probably been in the bottle for about 7 months now and has at least another month before I can get to it! Hopefully they're still good!

Back