what is the right size beer line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libirm

Reaction score
I got a beer set up for my kegerater with 5/16 lines and added 2 more taps later.

My LHB store sold me smaller lines, I want to say 3/16 or 1/4 ?
Well- I noticed quit a difference when poring a beer from the two different lines.
5/16 pours slowly- In my opinion, better, more controlled

Smaller lines pours quicker- hard to nail right head on beer.
So what is the right size? Does it matter?
Thanks

I got a beer set up for my kegerater with 5/16 lines and added 2 more taps later.

My LHB store sold me smaller lines, I want to say 3/16 or 1/4 ?
Well- I noticed quit a difference when poring a beer from the two different lines.
5/16 pours slowly- In my opinion, better, more controlled

Smaller lines pours quicker- hard to nail right head on beer.
So what is the right size? Does it matter?
Thanks

Your experience as described defies the laws of physics. The smaller the ID of the line, the more resistance it will provide, and the slower it will pour (assuming the same pressure and line length). If you're getting a slower pour from 5/16" ID line than from 1/4" or 3/16", there's more to the story, like maybe a kink or obstruction in the line somewhere.

In general, 6-12' of 3/16" ID line provides the perfect resistance to slow the flow down enough to prevent excessive foaming for kegerators and other short runs. Larger diameter lines are used when the beer has to travel over 20'.

Back