What is the optimum temperature range of Beano

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komomos

Reaction score
I've searched it out and reach only one source.

We know Beano includes A-Galactosidase. However this work shows us a little bit higher temperature ranges that we think.

http://www.deerland-enzymes.com/files/Alpha-Galactosidase.pdf

Optimum Temperature Range: 55 - 60 C

So, what's the real optimum temperature range of Beano?

PS: Please don't say that I shouldn't add Beano to my batch. Ofcourse I know it but I must use it now.

Smithman said:
So, will beano keep bubbles from escaping the airlock?

Helps break down long chain sugars that are not digestible by yeast. Basically if you mashed way to high or used el cheapo brand malt extract. It can be used to unstick a fermentation, but the hazard is you may end up with a very dry beer.

I assume stuck fermentation? Personally I don't use beano but amylase enzyme instead and just leave it at primary ferm temps, maybe a little warmer. Just my 2 cents

've searched it out and reach only one source.

We know Beano includes A-Galactosidase. However this work shows us a little bit higher temperature ranges that we think.

http://www.deerland-enzymes.com/files/Alpha-Galactosidase.pdf

Quote:
Optimum Temperature Range: 55 - 60 C

So, what's the real optimum temperature range of Beano?

PS: Please don't say that I shouldn't add Beano to my batch. Of course I know it but I must use it now.
komomos is offline.[/I]

Well, I would say, as per their data sheet the OPTIMUM temperature is 55-60 C. Keep in mind, this is the optimum, where the enzymes is working it's fastest. Do you need it to work that fast? I doubt it. This enzyme certainly is perfectly happy working in our guts at 37 C. It will also work just fine at typical fermentation times, just slower. So it takes 6 hrs for it to convert all of the glucans to simple sugars instead of 1 hr. I don't think the yeast will mind. The enzyme might even be more thorough at fermentation temps as the hotter you keep the enzyme, the faster it will lose activity.

it'll work fine at ferment temps, and really should be used there so that you are better able to stop it before it cuts thru all the residual sugar. if you haven't already added it, use amylase enzyme instead.

Back