What is the need for a couple of chemicals, used in cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnman68

Reaction score
I am very new to this cider brewing. In fact this one and one more will make two.
I would like to know about a couple of things if y,all don't mind clueing me in. What is latic acid used for? And how do you make the cider sweeter? My first batch at first tasted a little scour or bitter, and I would like it sweeter. I think it is called back back sweeting. I would like to make it sweeter after I have bottled it, and I would also like to make it sparkle to. I am going to use 20 oz. plastic pop bottles to bottle it in, so I really don't them to blow up!!!!

Thanks

mtn (john)man

The only way I know of to get a sparkling + sweet cider is to let it ferment to completion and then at bottling, add enough sugar to get the desired sweetness plus a little extra for the bottle to carb. Then you'll need to check daily and pasteurize each bottle when it gets to the appropriate carbonation level (if you wait too long they'll explode).

I don't keg, but the keg people will always chime in and say it wouldn't be a problem if you kegged it :)

I wouldn't use lactic acid for cider. It's primarily used for acidifying sparge water for brewing beer. If you want a more acidic cider, you can get citric, malic, or tartaric acids, or a blend of these. I've rarely ever added additional acid to ciders, they're usually acidic enough on their own.

Back