What is the most unique beer you've made so far?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
I was reading through Radical Brewing last night and had some inspiration for unique recipes.

The one that caught my eye and that I'd like to create was an IPA that should mimic historical IPA's. Basically assuming that the original IPA's were stored in barrels, this recipe suggested an IPA with some Brett added and some oak to mimic historic storage conditions. I'm going to brew this bad boy eventually, probably as part of my other late night inspiration (which is nothing new), the SBE (Small Batch Experiment).

Just curious what other unique/one of a kind beers have been made by my fellow HBT brewers.

I made a wheat with Agave nectar and the juice of two limes. I thought it was unique at the time but then discovered Breckenridge made Agave Wheat. I finally got to try some a couple of months ago at a beer festival and they actually taste a lot alike:D

Nothing too crazy here. I did a Blonde Ale last summer with some fresh mint in the last 5 minutes of the boil. It was a very drinkable refreshing summer beer. The mint did not add any "mintiness", but more of a refreshing green (not in a bad way) taste.

My Drunk Owl Mango

A big golden Belgian( started as a Duvel clone) aged 8 months on fresh off the tree mangos and the bugs from the dregs of bottles of Orval. Deceptively easy to drink at 9+% ABV

I made a beer with half malt, half homemade bread. It turned out quite well! One judge from the National competition asked me for the recipe!

A rye CDA all the dark and hoppy of a CDA with some red color and the unique flavors only found in rye. So far my Rye CDA (called Ryenier) is my most popular home brew to date, a staple that I'll resume brewing as soon as the temperature drops a bit in Washington.

I made a wheat with Agave nectar and the juice of two limes. I thought it was unique at the time but then discovered Breckenridge made Agave Wheat. I finally got to try some a couple of months ago at a beer festival and they actually taste a lot alike:D

I did the same. Mine was terrible. Too much agave and probably fermented too hot. I couldn't drink it without squeezing about half a lime into each one... :(

I made a brown nut ale added orange peel and let it bottle condition only a week. Light crisp flavor up front and light carbonation makes it a good summer beer. Big hit among my friends.

My buddy has a beer in the secondary right now. He threw the top tier of his wedding cake in during the boil. Should be interesting.

I have an ordinary bitter brewed with rose petals and hips on tap.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I made a Mexican coffee imperial stout. There are variations of the recipe, but commonly it calls for Kahlua, Tequila, vanilla, cinnamon and almond in a cup of coffee, I made a simple imperial stout, and added cold brewed Kona Coffee, vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks, almond extract, oak, Kahlua and Tequila to the secondary. It was certainly unique. Very boozy. It's usually a 'last call' beer. Or a session beer after a bad day.

I wanted to try doing a chocolate stout, but base it around the Mayan chocolate with chilies and cinnamon in it. I'm not crazy about the aggressively hot chili beers, so I just added enough to give a hint of heat. It turned out decent...but probably could have stepped up the roasted barley a bit more. Then I saw stuff like Prairie BOMB! in stores. Guess I'm not as creative as I thought.

My buddy has a beer in the secondary right now. He threw the top tier of his wedding cake in during the boil. Should be interesting.

With all that extra sugar from the cake, that seems like it could be a really unpredictable fermentation.

I brewed a "spiced pumpkin festbier" for a fall beer, and also brewed a "Jameson Whiskey Irish Red" for St. Paddy's day once......... My floor drain loved them both.

I like brewing with peppers, never done anything I consider extremely crazy. I've got a mango habanero IPA recipe I've done a couple times that has always been a big hit.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I brewed a Sahti earlier this year. Way too much juniper. It is the only beer I have ever brewed that I have dumped due to recipe design. The only other one was infected. Not sure if I will ever brew it again.

I am doing a Koyt this upcoming week. Not too far out there but hey when it is mostly oat malt it will be different.

I've brewed NB's Hopquila DIPA (all Mosaic hops and Tequila into secondary) twice now and love it. I can't keep it around as my beer drinking friends quaff it down.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've brewed with agave before. I drank it way too soon as it aged very well. the one that really stands out for me though was a Belgian Strong I made with horehound candy. I'm gonna grow some white horehound and make an AG batch someday next year.

I haven't even seen horehound candy since pop was alive. They used'em for throat lozenges in his day, according to the old timers. Sounds interesting. How'd it taste??:mug:

Does a 1/2 gallon batch of "Sumerian Beer" fermented with a homemade lacto starter count?

Tastes kinda like lemonade.

2B_bucket.JPG

2B_glass.JPG

I brewed a Chocolate Peanut Butter
Stout. Was the most unique I've done anyway. Turned out great but I missed the gravity big time. Was way too strong. Everyone who tried it loved it though!

Been toying with the idea of a mango ipa for a little while. Sounds like that could be a good brew for football season!

I haven't even seen horehound candy since pop was alive. They used'em for throat lozenges in his day, according to the old timers. Sounds interesting. How'd it taste??:mug:

it tastes great after a few years in the bottle! the horehound comes through a little. it's not overpowering, but it's noticeable if you know how horehound tastes. that's why I want to grow my own and play with it a bit.

Mine was nothing too crazy... I tried making a cinnamon roll inspired beer with some spices, homemade cinnamon rolls, and what I thought would be a decent grain bill for the recipe... I quickly found out that I am slightly allergic to cinnamon and couldn't get through a whole glass without some swelling. I dumped most of it and pawned some off. Other people seemed to like it.

One of my next beers is going to be a split batch gruit with mostly home grown herbs/spices. One of the batches is going to be left out open to ferment with whatever is around (tried a small tester like this last week and it seemed decent enough to try this experiment). The other batch is just getting some S04 so I have a good comparison.

I've got what I'm calling an imperial blonde ale w/lime finishing up bottle conditioning now.

It stemmed from a request from SWMBO's father, asking for a "light, drinkable, refreshing lime beer with at least 8%".... basically a jacked bud light lime... :/

so I gave it my best shot, and shot for quite a bit higher than the 8% he wanted and ended up at 10.3%... Lime zest in boil, lime juice and simply limeade in secondary.... It actually tastes pretty great, IMO. Took some time for the alcohol burn and lime flavors to mellow out and meld, but so far I'm very pleased.

Carrot ale, the base beer was what most people use for their pumkin beers. 2 lbs organic carrots added in secondary. Two vanilla beans added to 1 small ball jar filled with white rum for two weeks. Two days before bottoling I added cinnamon and nutmeg and then added 8oz of the extract when I bottled it.
The cinnamon overpowered the beer at first but 3 months in the bottle it has finally mellowed out into something decent.

I'm still waiting for the Bavarian hefe with watermelon juice to finish conditioning. I don't brew fruit/spice beers, so this is another unique one for me, anyway. I have the ingredients for version 2 of the dampfbier waiting. Fridge repairman had to order a fan motor. Better than a compressor price-wise anyhow. Gotta wait till I can chill the top off water. The BYO recipe for the dampfbier was pictured in my previous post. Wrong yeast & needs a bit more orange/amber color to be correct. The yeast it uses is the wrong one for the bubblegum ester the rare beer is known for. WY3638 seems to be the correct yeast for it. We'll see?...:tank:

I made a big stout that wouldn't carb in the bottle so i got the idea to put it and every brew i had and didn't like in a 15 gallon dimijohn and put the sour bugs to it and let it fly. over about a year id added anything i didn't like. i bottled it about 2.5 3 years ago and i try one every so often it changes every time. but has always gotten better. never throw away a bad batch get yourself a 15 gal. dimijohn and use it for bad batches and funk

The most unique brew I've made was a jalapeño cream ale with help from a member here. SWMBO would like for me to do it again but with hatch chilis next time.

Otherwise it would have been what I called a dark hybrid, which was supposed to be black as night with the flavor of an amber. Little did I know that a lot of midnight wheat still imparts a roasty flavor and so it was more porter-like, though odd as 1/2 of it used pilsen LME along with 1 lb of brown sugar. It was still good though despite the failure.

I would say a Pepper IPA. IPA infused with habeneros and Anaheim peppers. I'm not a huge fan of pepper beers but my brother loves them. Made him 10 gal and I'm pretty sure he set a record on how fast he kicked 2 kegs

Back