What is the Bible of cheesemaking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cj8scrambler

Reaction score
So now my interest is piqued and I'd like to learn more about cheese making. Is there a standard introduction book to cheese making like How to Brew or Joy of Hombrewing for homebrewing?

That looks like an interesting book, I may pick that up next time I'm cruising around Powell's

posted by "Home Cheese Making"There are stories about artisinal as well as home cheesemakers, recipies for using your cheeses, hints on how to store and cut your cheese, recipes from customers and much, much more.

*snicker*, am I the first one to make a 'cut the cheese' joke in the cheese forum?

Caroll's book is a good place to start. I warn you though, if you want in-depth information I think it is lacking. But it may be all one needs to venture into cheese making. I'd say it's more of the Papa-san version rather than the Palmer version. :D

zoebisch01 said:
Caroll's book is a good place to start. I warn you though, if you want in-depth information I think it is lacking. But it may be all one needs to venture into cheese making. I'd say it's more of the Papa-san version rather than the Palmer version. :D

Well, then what is the "Palmer" version?

(actually, I'd prefer the "Noonan" version, but that's just me.)

Dude said:
Well, then what is the "Palmer" version?

(actually, I'd prefer the "Noonan" version, but that's just me.)

I have looked and looked and haven't settled on anything yet. I am sure there has to be something out there. Caroll herself mentioned that this book is more advanced scientifically, but I don't wanna buy it and find out it wasn't worth it.

Back