What is the best way to warm a two carboys fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majd

Reaction score
Hi,
During winter fermentation need to be warmed up. While I do have a temperature control device with one probe that I can ether put in a thermal well or tape to the side of the carboy. I cant seem to figure out how to deal with two carboy temperature control setuation. I always brew 10 gallons and end up with two carboys at the same time fermenting.
my questions are the following:

1- do I use fermawrap? if so do I lay it underneath the two carboys? and which carboy should I put the thermal probe in?

2- Do I warm the medium of the fridge using some thing like low rate heat gun (very low setting) hanging from the shelf of the fridge?

3- or do I go the extra mile by having two PIDs, with two probes and two fermawrap. but only one PID control the fridge power source, while the second PID is just to make sure that the other carboy is at good temperature?

Any advice?
Thanks

a 100 watt light bulb would heat a fridge no prob.. beats a heat gun which sounds a bit dangerous.

i would also just worry the temp of the air in your fridge instead of the temp of the fluids. keep the air temp stable and the fluids will come down eventually. the fluids take to long to respond to get a acurate reading of how things are playing out. you will be going up and down with the temps if you measure fluids.

I was just listening to Brew Strong on this: he recommends, with no shortage of jokes, that you want to place your carboys right next to each other and insert your probe right between them, about half way between the top and the bottom. You can just tape it to one and then set the other right by it. Then wrap a little insulation so that the air around the prob is blocked from the ambient air but the prob still touches both carboys. This, according to his reports, gets you two carboys a that are within one degree of each other if they are pitched the same way, etc.

Heat the inside of a fridge with a heat lamp or a 75 W incandecent bulb (in a can, to keep the light off the fermenters.)

Latest posts

Back