What is the best ingredient and/or yeast for young wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason4run

Reaction score
I have several carboys of different fruit wines that will be ready for drinking next year. I have just started, though, so I have nothing that will be ready in the near future. Is there a fruit and/or yeast and/or technique that generally produces something drinkable young? Aside from impatience, I would really like some quick feedback on anything I am doing wrong. I would hate to replicate a mistake for up to a year as I line my office with carboys and bottles.

Some things can help to make wines drinkable earlier- a relatively low ABV, low tannins, something that clears well and fast, etc.

Something like a wine made out of clear juice, like apple juice made into an apple wine, or Welch's juice made into a wine, will usually be ready pretty fast.

I suppose the opposite question would be useful as well. What common things should I avoid for those wines I intend to drink young? Tannins and excess sugar, I see.

Yooper - what is "pretty fast"? To my inexperienced ears, that sounds like one or two months.

I suppose the opposite question would be useful as well. What common things should I avoid for those wines I intend to drink young? Tannins and excess sugar, I see.

Yooper - what is "pretty fast"? To my inexperienced ears, that sounds like one or two months.

Yeah, some could be ready in two-three months. If you start with a clear juice, and don't push the ABV above about 11% or so (even less for a cider), then it could be ready in that time. One month is probaby not going to happen, though.

Back