What is the best bottle for storing carbonated cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtogio

Reaction score
Does anyone here know what the best bottle for storing a carbonated cider would be?

I'm looking ahead to 2014 and planning some cider making in the spring. I want to make hard, sparkling cider, but I'd prefer not to use swing-top bottles. I'd also like to bottle condition this batch.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Any off the shelf beer bottle with a crown cap (not the screw off kind) will hold carbonation just fine. (in this case, regardless of what you've heard...size doesn't matter...haha) I like those Fat Tire bottles, they have a nice sturdy feel to them.

image-2461102479.jpg

Got these from trader joes ginger beer. I know you said no swing tops but these were $3.99 with product. Not a bad price.

Any standard beer bottle should be fine as long as you follow a priming calculator. You can look up the correct calculations online. I have only had one bottle explode so far.
My fiancé found these re-sealable pouches at our local homebrew shop (think adult Capri Sun) that worked great. It looks odd, but they're easy, clean, strong, and no light or air can get in.

Any beer Bottle. I generally use standard 12 oz with a single 1L swing top for archiving.

Me too! I bottle cider & beer (and often wine) in 1 liter swingtops, they make bottling so easy & quick, I won't ever use crown caps for cider/beer again.
Regards, GF.

I still use crown caps as I haven't accumulated enough swing-tops for my production, and I feel slightly better about stove-top pasteurization with them. Plus I don't mind as much when people don't bring back my crown cap bottles.
My LHBS sells half liter swing tops for only $19+sales tax for a case of 12. I think I need to pick up a few cases.

I've been buying fancy 1 liter swing top beers so I can bottle in them. Win-win! I also buy the ginger beer every time I go to TJ's. They also take crown caps, right?

I picked up a bunch of 16 oz brown swing tops at my local Aldi store for $1.99 each. They had some kind of gross spiced pumpkin cider in them. But the bottles work great.

You could consider champagne bottles, corks, and cages -- That's my plan long-term, to age for years.

I use about half swing tops and half beer bottles. I have a friend who uses Martinelli's Sparkling Cider bottles exclusively though.

So far I have had 1 Anchor Steam bottle bust while capping and 5 22oz bombers bust a few days after bottling. That's not bad out of about 1000 bottles so far.

You could consider champagne bottles, corks, and cages -- That's my plan long-term, to age for years.

In my mind they are the best. They can be capped with crown caps, or corked. Biggest drawback is the weight.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I picked up a bunch of 16 oz brown swing tops at my local Aldi store for $1.99 each. They had some kind of gross spiced pumpkin cider in them. But the bottles work great.

Shut your mouth, that cider is delicious!!

7 oz champagne bottles are great for high ABV dry cider.

Back