What is my gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhead22

Reaction score
I started with 1.056.
At 1.018 I added 1 pound of honey.
Two days later I am at 1.016. How do I find out what my actual FG is?

It really depends in how many points per pound per gallon (Ppg) your honey contains.
Now that you know the points per pound per gallon of your honey you calculate the specific gravity contribution it will make to your wort. Multiply ppg by pounds of honey then divide by gallons of wort.

For example, if your honey's ppg is 24 and you use 4 lbs in 5 gallons you have:

24 * 4 / 5 = 19.2

Your honey adds 19.2 points, or 1.0192 specific gravity, to the wort. Use software to figure the wort without honey (or do it by hand), then add 1.0192 to the SG.

Sent from somewhere to someone

If you don't know the PPG of your honey all you need do is take a pound of honey, add pure water until you have a gallon and measure with a hydrometer. Instead of wasting a pound, you can get the equivalent concentration with two ounces honey by weight and pure water topped off until you have two cups by volume

Sent from somewhere to someone

It "Pure Harmony Dakota Clover Honey" I don't have any left. Is there an average ppg for honey?

I found a good average of ppg for honey is 42.
42x1/5= 210
So I take my original of 1.056 + .021 = 1.077

OG of 1.077 FG of 1.016 is 8.1% ABV

Did I do this right?

Sorry i can't math in the morning..

42x1/5 is 8.4 so I added .008 to my OG

1.056 + .008 = 1.064
Making my ABV 6.4%

Back