What is Kirtabier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattMan

Reaction score
While killing time this morning, I landed on this page: http://www.ayinger.de/cms/index.php/274.html.
When I searched for Kirtabier I found lots of pages that quote, without reference, the Ayinger page.
I've never heard of Kirtabier before, and wonder if this is a style or simply a trademark.
If it's a style, is there a description other than that on the Ayinger page?
Anyone have a recipe?
Thanks for your help!

It appears to be a medium dark, full bodied, but highly attenuated, Bavarian beer that's brewed specifically for some sort of annual festival they have over there.

It's a Marzen that's brewed specifically for a huge Church festival. I was there several years ago and enjoyed it. Can't remember who makes it but it was really good.

Its basically another version of Ayinger's Märzen. They had both on tap Hessen Haus in Des Moines, IA and I got to try them side by side. The Kirtabier is slightly darker color and slightly fuller bodied than their Oktoberfest. The Oktoberfest is slightly crisper and easier to drink by the liter, but overall they are both fairly similar. I actually personally prefer the Kirtabier.

I would guess the Kirtabier has a slightly higher percentage of Munich malt than the original Oktoberfest.

Back