What Is It?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gracho

Reaction score
Got this Hefeweizen with the following recipe:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
13.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 45.23 %
9.00 lb Wheat, Red (Cargill) (2.9 SRM) Grain 45.23 %
1.0 lb Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 4.52 %
.5 oz Hallertauer 4.1 [4.10 %] (90 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
.5 oz Hallertauer 4.1 [4.10 %] (60 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
.35 oz Summit [18.50 %] (20 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
.5 oz Hallertauer 4.1 [4.10 %] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
Munich Danstar Repitch Yeast

Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.39 %
Bitterness: 15.8 IBU
Est Color: 4.7 SRM

BigDogMark and I have made this recipe several times, because it's a really good smooth drink that doesn't require you to drink too many, unless you want to. I wouldn't advise it. Well, at least not during the week.

Anyway, I had harvested a Nottingham yeast cake from a blond that we made previously and was going to re-pitch that in to another blond which we were making the same day.

OK, so the last thing I really remember toward the end of the brew day was BigDogMark saying, "You're starting to slur your words." Then everything is a fog after that. Must have been the big honkin a$$ cigar he brought over, which was very good by the way.

So as it turns out my drunk a$$ pitched the harvested Nottingham yeast in to the Hefeweizen fermentation bucket, OOPS! Now, I was a little unsure about the outcome. I knew it would make beer, but...

Three weeks later it is cold and carbonated and living happily in the keggerator. I pulled a glass and it was very, tasty. It wasn't quite a hefeweizen but it ain't a blond either. Anyway we made notes to the best of our recollection in case we want to do it again. I just don't know what the heck it should be called. Any clue on how to classify this thing.

Thought about what to call it. Kinda depends on the classification. Some thoughts are:

“He Did It Wheat Ale” or “Dizzy German Blond Ale” maybe “”Weirdweizen” or how about “Grachoweizen”

:mug:

Well, I think we will have to go with the American Wheat beer as the style. It sure isn't "Light". It drinks rich and smooth with a hint of citrus from the Summit hops. Since gracho pitched in the Notty yeast, I went ahead and added gelatin to my keg right before cold crashing and it has cleared up nicely.

I may have need to encourage gracho to make mistakes like this more often. The result is worth it.

Latest posts

Back