What is happening in my secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstahl

Reaction score
I just racked to my secondary after 2 weeks in the primary. After 3 days I have foam forming on the top with fine bubbles rising through from the bottom. The carboy is in a washtub since it is a little warm in my house, but the temperature of the water holds steady at 70 degrees. Any explanation for what is happening here?:confused:

IMAG0361.jpg

Fermentation can sometimes "restart" when you rack to secondary. A variety of things take place when you rack, including a bit of oxygenation and mixing. There might be some fermentable sugar still in the wort. Did you happen to take the SG when you racked?

You might want to give some details as to what style/recipe you've brewed, especially what type of yeast was used. The more experienced folks here will be eager to help, but they'll need some info in order to give feedback :mug:

I thought that fermentation may have "restarted" here but this is only my fifth batch and I have not seen this before. Unfortunately, I did not take a gravity reading before racking this time, so that information is unavailable. The style is the "Caribou Slobber" Brown Ale made from an extract kit that I got from Northern Brewer. I used the Windsor dry yeast and OG was 1.055 :eek:

If you are going to use a secondary, and they are rarely required, you must take a gravity reading and wait until you reach your FG before moving it. You need that yeast cake for post fermentation cleanup (conditioning) and by racking too soon you lose that great work that they will do for you.

Back