what is considered overdoing it for pellet hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyomingBrewer

Reaction score
Only reason I ask is, as some who have read my posts know, I received some free stuff that is approx 5 years old and brewed a batch of beer with it just to see what it will be. I used 2 oz of the old hops for bitterness, but I don't know what kind they were as they were unlabeled and used 2 oz of cascade hops at the end of the boil. The fermenting fumes smell hoppy as all get out. I will drink it no matter what but what do the experts think considering these pellet hops were vacuum packed but 5 or so years old? BTW, Im not a huge fan of real hopped up beers. Oh well, maybe?

ha! the moar the merrier!!!
really though without measurements it's impossible to say, but if i were to look into my crystal ball....

...not too bitter, interesting aroma.

if they are 5 years old, then sending them to a lab to be tested for alpha acid >:D

in practical terms, the only way you or I are gonna tell is by brewing with them. depending on how they have been kept, they may loose bitterness, aroma, both, or neither. but it's kinda like canned tomatoes--you won't know till you try.

however, in my opinion hops are like salt. it's easy to add more, it's hard to remove excess.

It depends on the hops, but you can expect to lose about 50% of the bittering capabilities of hops over 5 years with good storage (vacuum packed and kept in a freezer). I don't think you have over-done the bittering. Unfortunatly you don't know what they are so you will have to wait to find out how it came out. Might be perfect.

I think Austin HBS has a kit (i think I saw it on their site?) called "hop bomb" that comes with 19 oz of hops.... 260 IBU....

if you are gonna drink it anyways.... Just drink 4-8 of something else first... Then it won't matter as much :D

well being vac sealed properly, they should be 'aged hops' and not 'oxidized, cheesy, funky hops'.

I'm curious to hear how it tastes after bottling/carbing.

I just made an IPA with everything in my freezer including some 5+year old hops, some unlabeled, and some unknown homegrown hops from a friend and it is one of the better beers I have made. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back