What is considered a high OG beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcodville

Reaction score
Hey all, just a quick question. I hear people talking about beers that are high OG, low OG, medium OG, etc...

I recently made an extract dry stout recipe that ended up with an OG of 1.07. Is this considered a high OG beer? Doesn't really matter I guess, I was just wondering what numbers people consider high for OG. I'm thinking anything about 1.1?

I consider over 1.064 is the beginning of the high OG range. Four 1.064 beers, in a hour and a half, and I begin feeling noticeable effects. Below 1.064 is a session beer.

I usually think of OG's at around 1.075 and up as being high gravity (with resulting beers in the 8% or higher ABV range), at least in terms of how I handle and worry about yeast, fermentation, etc. This may not be the common accepted definition if there is one, just how I categorize for myself.

LOL I cant wait to see the endless list of hair splitting opinions this topic inspires....

As is tradition!

I typically consider the deviation to be the split between session beers and beers requiring extended aging. I'd say the split is around 1.060 - 1.080 for me, but there are obviously outliers. Wouldn't want to keg a kriek but I definitely wouldn't bottle a DIPA either.

Like most subjects here, this one is open to interpretation and justifiably so. Brew on.

Yikes...I like my beers big I guess. 1.100 for me, and I usually exceed that. For me, homebrew is not about kicking back a 6-pack. I'm a one a day kind of guy and I love bigger beers. Got an Imperial Red on tap, a breakfast stout I'm about to cold crash, and a wheat wine I'm about to brew. All above 9%

I have three and feel nice, I'd say it's not high gravity. If I have three and I want to fight somebody, it's high gravity.

Just my 2 cents.......
1.070 is def big beer
1.060 i don't call big but imho it's right on the border
1.065 i'd call big
1.061-1.064 i'd call `small for a big beer`

Im gonna go with around 1.07 or so, for me it comes down to if i need to consider adding more yeast at bottling to achieve carbonation.

In addition to personal opinion, realize that in some regions there are legal definitions of high gravity beer. For example, in Tennessee (prior to this year) high gravity beer was legally defined as greater than 5% ABW (6.25% ABV), and could only be sold in by places with a liquor license. Whereas non-high gravity beer could be sold in grocery stores, etc. That's being raised to 8% ABW.

1.045 = Low/Session
1.050 = 1.065 = Mid Range
1.070 = 1.095 = High
1.100 = Special Consideration When Quaffing

I have three and feel nice, I'd say it's not high gravity. If I have three and I want to fight somebody, it's high gravity.

I'd add that having 3 and getting beat up would generally indicate an ultra-high Gravity beer

Back