What is cold crashing? And what it do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izuel01

Reaction score
I guys just wondering what cold crashing is and what it does and why we do it? Thanks

Cold crashing is when you cool your beer all the way down once fermentation is done to drop out much of the suspended yeast. The cold temperatures make it happen much faster than at room temperature.

Ah ok so once it's bottled an been left sitting at room temp in bottles for a week or two you cold crash by putting in fridge?

You can crash the bottles. It will work faster in bottles simply because things have less distance to fall.

Crashing not only gets the yeast to floc out but it can also get some proteins. The beer tastes cleaner in less time.

I only cold crash if it's going in a keg and force carbonated. I feel like if I cold crash before bottling I won't have enough yeast to bottle condishion

fitchbrew said:
I only cold crash if it's going in a keg and force carbonated. I feel like if I cold crash before bottling I won't have enough yeast to bottle condishion or at least a whole lot less

Back