What is "Alt" beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle362

Reaction score
Hey all!!
New to brewing and this site.
I was looking at a site that sells clones of some various brews. I am looking at one Called Northern Alt-Sposure. It is referred to a "ALT" beer. Something about needing refridgeration at some point in the process before its ready to chill & drink.
Can any body help me with this?

I am really fond of brews that are fairly rich but yet great for summer, kind of fruity or tastes great with a piece of fruit. Bells Oberon is another fav but wheat beers generally don't turn my taste buds on. Oberon is an exception.
Any help appreciated.
Looking forward to my first brew that I bottled last saturday, kind of a basic amber ale to start off.
Best to all!1!

MARK

They also typically undergo an extended lagering period. They tend to be a bit hoppier and more bitter than many other German styles. I made a batch that's a quasi-alt a while back (didn't have the means to ferment it cool, though), and it started out real harsh and bitter, but after eight or nine months has mellowed into a nice, smooth, malty brew that's one of my favorites.

Thanks so far!
The one I am looking at utilizes Saaz and cascade hopps. It id described a a rich copper color but only mildly bitter.
I have had and enjoyed bitter brews but I'm looking fo something not so bitter.
What temps are you talking. I can easily ferment at about 68 and have a spare old refrig. that I can use. What steps to consider?
Ferment at 68, rack to bottle and cool then at say 45 or let the priming work for a while, then lager at 45.
Typical questions from an analytical guy!!
mark

Wow...I've made 2 altbiers now, and neither of them seem to really 'fit the profile' I guess.

I have the 2nd one in primary right now after just brewing it this weekend. Our Alt's are more on the highly malty side of life with fairly low hop bitterness.

Depends on what the temp range is for whatever yeast you're using. 68 is typically in the middle of the range for ales. Check your yeast's range, and stay towards the lower end.

I have an Alt conditioning in bottles right now. I've brewed it three times now; it's one of my favorite styles. When I first began researching the style, I came across this article in BYO. I thought it was a great overview.

Rhooobarb: Thanks. One clarification..............
When racked to a second carboy and stored at say 38 f, what happens to the yeast?

Being new to this, I am wondering if that extended cool period, how does the yeast survive, to where theres enough to prime when sugar is added when bottled.?

Is there always enough in suspension to react to the new infusion of "food" when bottled?

Thanks for all the reference help!
mark

eagle362 said:
Rhooobarb: Thanks. One clarification..............
When racked to a second carboy and stored at say 38 f, what happens to the yeast?...
I don't secondary mine that cold unless I'm lagering, but the method would be about the same as doing a lager.

The yeast will fall out of suspension and settle at the bottom of the carboy. Scrape the racking cane on the bottom just a little to stir up the yeast and just bottle as normal. If you store the bottles at room temperature for a couple of weeks, the yeast should wake up do their thing.

I just made an Altbier 2 months ago. An altbeir is just a slightly more malty and. Bitter marzen that’s brewed with ale yeast. I targeted 40 ibus and a 15 srm utilizing a small amount of Carafa special 2 and then a blend of Munich, Vienna, and Pilsner malts. My temp control was being used for another beer so I fermented mine using Kviek Lutra at about 70. Then fined and lagered it in the keg for about 3 weeks. It produced a very clean beer with a touch of that authentic German ale “match stick” note. Came out very nice and will certainly be rebreweing. Good luck in your quest.
DA841A1F-033E-4969-8EBB-00103AA031E6.jpeg
9065EDC6-2C5F-4C1F-B915-D4F02C27CF04.jpeg

Kveik alt? How can an "old beer" German style be done with Norwegian farmhouse yeast? I thought wyeast 1007 was the altbier yeast...
Easy… pitch the yeast.lol my water didn’t target Düsseldorf either..don’t be such a purist

It was a decision due to the fermentation chamber already being used for another beer. It’s in a competition on the 6th. I’ll update you with score sheets to see if there is any mention to fermentation character.

I love the style. It's the flagship beer from Long Trail in VT. I brewed one and sent it to @aharri1 this past week. He seemed to enjoy it. I have another version of it in the fermentor right now. It's a great Fall beer.

I just made an Altbier 2 months ago. An altbeir is just a slightly more malty and. Bitter marzen that’s brewed with ale yeast. I targeted 40 ibus and a 15 srm utilizing a small amount of Carafa special 2 and then a blend of Munich, Vienna, and Pilsner malts. My temp control was being used for another beer so I fermented mine using Kviek Lutra at about 70. Then fined and lagered it in the keg for about 3 weeks. It produced a very clean beer with a touch of that authentic German ale “match stick” note. Came out very nice and will certainly be rebreweing. Good luck in your quest. View attachment 747322View attachment 747324
Very nice looking Alt. In a past life I spent many an hour enjoying some just like that in Altstadt in Duesseldorf. Fond memories. 🍻

For anyone around North Carolina, look for Copper from Olde Mecklenburg Brewing. A very good Alt. I have found it at Amazon Prime Foods .. aka Whole Paycheck. OMB has a taproom also if you are in the neighborhood.

Very nice looking Alt. In a past life I spent many an hour enjoying some just like that in Altstadt in Duesseldorf. Fond memories. 🍻
Reminds me of my time spent in Dusseldorf, also. I haven't brewed an alt yet, but it is on my list to do this winter after I finish the Koelsch that I started today. Looks very nice.

I've heard it said that when the people of Düsseldorf drink Altbier, what they pee out is Kölsch.
Even still, of the two styles, I prefer Kölsch.

While I was living in Stuttgart, I travelled to Düsseldorf with two colleagues. While we were on the train I mentioned how much I was looking forward to enjoying Düsseldorf mustard, but they had no idea what I was talking about. I explained that Düsseldorf is famous for its mustard, which they found hard to believe. After checking in we met at the hotel restaurant for dinner, and I was quite pleased that they had a separate menu of specialty dishes featuring the famous mustard,

Basically, I like beer from Köln and mustard from Düsseldorf.

Last edited:
My signature alt.
Made it 29 times now, more than any other recipe (27 times for @Yooper 's Haus Pale, but I mean, who wouldn't make that repeatedly?)
Recipe tweaked over the 29 times a bit (I prefer drier) from the original clone recipe of Alaskan Amber.

View attachment 747457

PS I use and *LOVE* WY1007 at 60F for this.
Would you be able to share the "tweaked" recipe? Looks nice

I've heard it said that when the people of Düsseldorf drink Altbier, what they pee out is Kölsch.

While I was living in Stuttgart, I travelled to Düsseldorf with two colleagues. While we were on the train I mentioned how much I was looking forward to enjoying Düsseldorf mustard, but they had no idea what I was talking about. I explained that Düsseldorf is famous for its mustard, which they found hard to believe. After checking in we met at the hotel restaurant for dinner, and I was quite pleased that they had a separate menu of specialty dishes featuring the famous mustard,

Can't disagree. Between Duesseldorf and Koln, I've spent far more time in Duesseldorf. I really like Alt (and Kilipisch), but much prefer a good Kolsch. But the mustard in Duesseldorf is an extra special treat. Like a creamy Dijon with alot more oomph!

My signature alt.
Made it 29 times now, more than any other recipe (27 times for @Yooper 's Haus Pale, but I mean, who wouldn't make that repeatedly?)
Recipe tweaked over the 29 times a bit (I prefer drier) from the original clone recipe of Alaskan Amber.

View attachment 747457

PS I use and *LOVE* WY1007 at 60F for this.
Beauty in a glass! Also, you're right about Alaskan Amber. It's a dead-on American interpretation of a Duesseldorf Alt, very much like American Amber. Amber's are so much like Rodney Dangerfield: they get no respect.

I've never tried mustard on my beer but I love Düsseldorf mustard on a Brat!

Would you be able to share the "tweaked" recipe? Looks nice
Yes, recipe please or it never happened..!

Consider this more a "Northern German Altbier" than a true Dusseldorf, which is more bitter according to what I read.
5.5gal out of boil kettle. I literally throw it all into bucket fermenter. All. With my system that means 27.5qt into kettle for mash.
Bairds Maris Otter 70.7%
Bairds Medium Crystal 70-80L 16.3%
Briess Dark Munich 30L 10.9%
Carafa II (or Blackprinz) 2.1%
Percentages because your efficiencies are different than mine. With my 77% eff that would be 6.5#MO, 1.5#MedCrys, 1#DkMun 3ozCarafaII
Mash 152 for 60min, single infusion, I BIAB full volume no sparge, no squeeze just drip 10min
1.047 OG, usually finishes around 1.010, 4.8%ABV; up the MO for more malt higher ABV.
36 IBU
20 SRM
Adjust (from previous iterations, I do not adjust during a mash, take notes and adjust next brew) to 5.40 pH
Aim for Ca:Mg:Na:Cl:SO4 of about 100:11:6:100:70
Boil only 30min
Magnum 14.5% 0.75oz 30m
Saaz 3.2% 1.0oz 15m
Whirlfloc 1/2 tab 5m
Saaz 3.2% 2.5oz 0m
Starter of WY1007, pitching approx 180-190b cells by this calculator (downloaded as XLSX to use offline)
Ferment, no pressure, 60F until exotherm finishes, then ramp 8F in 2days, hold a couple days, keg, cool & carb, ready in a week or 2.
1635700019977.png

As soon as you empty the fermenter, plan to make the next batch.
It will spontaneously disappear, even if not during the spooky Halloween season.
And especially if you take a gallon each week to tennis group.

Especially.

I noticed Josh Weikert's recipe linked above by @madscientist451 . I have tried that and it's drier still than mine, so the roast comes across more pronounced, and seems drier than mine. And so I hereby add my all important caveat -- you have to find what works for your taste buds, like Brussels Sprouts which I love, roasted with balsamic; or Lima Beans, which should never have been invented. YMMV.

Beauty in a glass! Also, you're right about Alaskan Amber. It's a dead-on American interpretation of a Duesseldorf Alt, very much like American Amber. Amber's are so much like Rodney Dangerfield: they get no respect
Thanks for that input. I really like Alaskan Amber and wondered how it compared to style. To me it's a "beer" tasting beer if you get my drift. Now to find an extract/steeping grain version that works. 🤔
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

Back