What is a '1-liter starter'?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzwyatt

Reaction score
When we talk about sizes of starter, the volume of the 'starter' seems uselessly ambiguous as a way to describe it. The 'starter' includes the beer, right? So the actual yeast is maybe 10-16 oz or somehting? But if you've stepped it a few times, a '1-liter starter' could have a lot of slurry (another ambiguous term, but I interpret it and I'm saying it as the actual yeast that settles to the bottom of the container after several hours of chilling, or longer at room temp after fermentation activity is over). You could have twice as much yeast in the starter, but still have a '1-liter starter'.

So is there any standard nomenclature for yeast starters here on the site?

When we talk about sizes of starter, the volume of the 'starter' seems uselessly ambiguous as a way to describe it. The 'starter' includes the beer, right? So the actual yeast is maybe 10-16 oz or somehting? But if you've stepped it a few times, a '1-liter starter' could have a lot of slurry (another ambiguous term, but I interpret it and I'm saying it as the actual yeast that settles to the bottom of the container after several hours of chilling, or longer at room temp after fermentation activity is over). You could have twice as much yeast in the starter, but still have a '1-liter starter'.

Typically, it's the volume of starting (starter) liquid before the yeast is added. A 1-liter starter would refer to 1-liter of liquid pre-yeast inoculation.

You're over-thinking it. The volume refers to the wort. If you're stepping up, you're going to be cold crashing the yeast, then decanting. If you have 1 liter of yeast after decanting, you have a ton of yeast, and way more than you need on the homebrew level, unless you're doing huge batches.

Back