what info is needed for a clone recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shady oaks

Reaction score
So I just found a beer that I love, and want to brew a batch for spring/summer. I haven't got it all figured out yet, so what info is needed to come up with a similiar recipe? Here is the info I did get from Sierra Nevada's website:
alcohol content 5.9% by volume
yeast Top-fermenting Ale Yeast
beginning gravity 14.4 Plato
bittering hops English Challenger
ending gravity 3.6 Plato
bitterness units 45-46
finishing hops English Challenger & East Kent Goldings
malts Two-row Pale, Maris Otter & Crystal
dry hopping English Challenger, U.S. Challenger, U.S. Goldings, & Crystal

Looks like their ESB, yeah?

From that, it seems they go from about 1.058 to 1.014.

I would go 50% MO and 50% pale on the main bill, and do like 1 pound of 60L for the color and some flavor (fairly typical crystal used in ESB recipes. Depending on how dark you want it, maybe up it to 80L)

You can just figure out the bittering level of Challengers at 60, and then finish with the challenger and ekgs at 15. I'd do 1/2 oz. each at 15 minutes.

As for the dry hop, I'd probably use about 2 ounces total. You could split it into .5 each, or you could blend a bit differently.

I haven't seen an exact clone for this online, so you just have to wing it. plug it all into beersmith or whatever program you want to hit your numbers.

Back