What infection is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuNchBoX1371

Reaction score
What infection is this and will it be fine. I used abbey ale yeast from white labs.

DSC_0121.jpg

I am sorry to say this, but your beer looks like it's been infected with YEAST. Yes! Something like an Abbey Ale Yeast! The beer will inevidably end up tasting....BELGIAN!

Looks like krausen, not an infection.

EDIT to say, Oops, guess I should have clicked to enlarge the pic. Does look like a pellicle forming. My bad!

This is at the end of fermentation though. shouldn't the krausen have subsided? Srry just be extra sure; thank you for the quick reply.

A raft of pellicle forming would be more of the case. Zoomed in on the photo and that is the start of a infection. May turn out to be a good belgian sour, how old is the beer?

Definitely a pellicle.

When the bubbles have veins,
A sour is at the reigns.

Hard to say what it is, maybe brett? Best thing to do is let it ride and get new soft equipment that touches it to stop future infections.

This is at the end of fermentation though. shouldn't the krausen have subsided? Srry just be extra sure; thank you for the quick reply.

How long has this beer been in the primary? When you say ,"This is at the end of fermentation though," are you going by time or specific gravity. If you are going by time in the fermentor, it may not be done fermenting.

Its been in primary for 2 weeks, we were bottling it today; gravity was good and it tastes good- a hint of sour but not much, and some fruitiness.

Its been in primary for 2 weeks, we were bottling it today; gravity was good and it tastes good- a hint of sour but not much, and some fruitiness.

You won't be able to bottle it until the infection is finished doing its thing, otherwise you run the risk of bottle bombs, just the same way as if you tried to bottle a brew that wasn't done fermenting.

so i decided to dump it but what should i use to clean out the plastic fermenter with and the keg with? I heard of vinegar maybe but would that absorb into the plastic and rust the SS. Any Suggestions?

Personally, if I were you, I'd let it go, and see what it does. You could end up with a pretty cool beer... Or something undrinkable... But I'd roll the dice and see what happens.

As far as kegging, rather than bottling, if you like how it tastes now, I don't see a problem with doing that personally... But I don't really have any experience with this, so maybe someone who has done something similar can chime in.

ok cool thank you all for the quick help. But yea i think the keg will be fine we'll see how it goes, but thank you again.

The keg can soak in star san for a while. Your bucket is lost, unless you want to make more sours in it.

It's why most of us recommended you to let it ride.

I had an infection in my mrbeer keg when I first started. Mrbeer told me to use a diluted bleach solution and rinse really well and let it air dry a few days to get rid of the infection.

Back