What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
say what? as an adult, i can see you are already 120% more liked then me here!

wait a second you've only been brewing since 2013 did you say? and you're already resorting to sugar washes? ;) :p

and if hard seltzer counts now, i checked the gravity....
2016 my dear silly. SG was at 1.035, went light on this one. I do love my beer, but I also like having something different on tap for those who don't care for beer. Also it's delicious and refreshing without f***ing me up, or messing with my delicate digestion. And your scores are MUCH higher than mine...flattered yet?

The other reason I made it, is that my older sister is delving into making kilju (basically hard seltzer with a fancy name, if you ask me) and I have a strong competitive streak.

The other reason I made it, is that my older sister is delving into making kilju (basically hard seltzer with a fancy name, if you ask me) and I have a strong competitive streak.
older siblings are the WORST! ;) :mug:
And your scores are MUCH higher than mine...flattered yet?
what are you talking about? i have a 57% approval rating and just never shut my mouth...you have 170% approval! 🤣

hey, there's what i did for beer today! calculated my HBT credit score! lol :mug:

Won a contest that my flhbs was running. Got a six pack of a collab beer they did with a local brewery as well as a 5 gallon all grain ingredient kit they made to brew said beer myself and a t-shirt. Now I just have to drive over there to pick it all up! Oh, and to pay karma back, I helped my buddy who's just getting into brewing score a used grainfather for $200cdn and a free fermentation fridge with inkbird and heatbelt!

Bottle washing today:
Soak the labels off in the Ole Miss bucket then wash interior and stack.
I'll use the bottle washer again on brew day to sanitize.

IMG_9430.jpeg

Put up the portable storage shed I bought yesterday at a garage sale for 50 bucks
EE52A11F-FD47-445D-BBC8-798A10BF72AD.jpeg

Enquiring minds might wonder what a glorified wall tent in the back yard has to do with beer. Well, all of the stuff I can move from the garage to the shed will make a lot more space for brewing. :cool:

Yesterday tapped the latest version of my Citra/Sabro IPA; turned out pretty good. And killed two kegs (both had about a pint left) so I could make room in the kegerator to crash the Pineapple Seltzer. Turned out fairly tart, so bought some Stevia at the store yesterday to backsweeten it a bit when it's time to keg.

Yesterday and today, actually, since I started last night and finished this morning.

Brewed an APA last night; it’s too hot to brew during the day. I’ve been adjusting my system to larger batches at the city house since I can now keg here. My 8 gal kettle isn’t big enough for full volume, no sparge BIAB batches much larger than 3 gallons. I’ve brewed two 4 gallon batches so far. The first I mashed in with half my desired preboil volume and did a pour over sparge. That brew went off without a hitch. Last night I mashed in at my 3 vessel system 1.5 qts./lb. intending to do a dunk sparge after measuring my “1st runnings”. Bad idea. The necessary sparge volume to reach my preboil volume, plus 9 lbs of grain, filled the sparge bucket to the brim, with the grain bag taking up much of the space. Not much room to stir or do anything without slopping wort all over the patio. So, I let it steep for awhile, added the sparge liquor to the kettle, and boiled away.

With the lengthy hot spell the city water here is up to about 75°. So I put the kettle in a bathtub full of cold water and went to bed. This morning I racked a crystal clear, great tasting wort to the FV. The OG was .030, 20 points below the predicted number. I was expecting the mash efficiency to suck, and it did. OTOH, a 3% session APA sounds like a pretty good hot weather beer. I might be tempted to do brew one on purpose at some point, but I think I’d use a 6lb grain bill instead of 9lbs, and sparge more efficiently. :cool:
F41C3C32-F01F-4AC6-820B-01615EBE0942.jpeg

Yesterday and today, actually, since I started last night and finished this morning.

Brewed an APA last night; it’s too hot to brew during the day. I’ve been adjusting my system to larger batches at the city house since I can now keg here. My 8 gal kettle isn’t big enough for full volume, no sparge BIAB batches much larger than 3 gallons. I’ve brewed two 4 gallon batches so far. The first I mashed in with half my desired preboil volume and did a pour over sparge. That brew went off without a hitch. Last night I mashed in at my 3 vessel system 1.5 qts./lb. intending to do a dunk sparge after measuring my “1st runnings”. Bad idea. The necessary sparge volume to reach my preboil volume, plus 9 lbs of grain, filled the sparge bucket to the brim, with the grain bag taking up much of the space. Not much room to stir or do anything without slopping wort all over the patio. So, I let it steep for awhile, added the sparge liquor to the kettle, and boiled away.

With the lengthy hot spell the city water here is up to about 75°. So I put the kettle in a bathtub full of cold water and went to bed. This morning I racked a crystal clear, great tasting wort to the FV. The OG was .030, 20 points below the predicted number. I was expecting the mash efficiency to suck, and it did. OTOH, a 3% session APA sounds like a pretty good hot weather beer. I might be tempted to do brew one on purpose at some point, but I think I’d use a 6lb grain bill instead of 9lbs, and sparge more efficiently. :cool:
View attachment 775610

if my eyes aren't decieving me, you didn't make beer? what is this post doing here? lol :mug:

edit: i guess i should clarify my statement...."according to the hydrometer"

Last edited:
Brewed an IPA today then kegged my last golden ale. Scooped a good portion of the golden ale yeast cake right into IPA and gave a good stir.

First day brewing with 2 pumps and all went well. Was nice not having to monitor the HLT but extra cords and hoses was a bit much. Will have to see about simplifying or tidying things up some next time.

View attachment 775610
Could always add a pound of light dry malt grandpa or some other adjunct sugar. Or keep it light and 3%...quick way to make room for another batch I guess

Catching up from Friday -- opened bottle one from Lawn Mower Ale. One week in, it's carbing nicely and has a very neutral-to-slightly bready flavor with just a hint of mango in the finish. That's to be expected with Duesseldorfer Alt yeast and a bit of Vic Secret in the flavor hops.

Finally got the courage to go back to my fave LHBS yesterday after finding out 2 weeks ago the young owner passed away. Had a long talk with the main shop worker. The owner who passed , his wife wasn't involved much in the business and doesn't want to keep it. So the worker and his wife are trying to work out the finance to hold onto it and take over ownership. It's been so hard because the owner was so young I guess he didn't plan out a will or give his widow legal authority to have access to his accounts so it's a probate fight. Crossing my fingers that the best LHBS in these parts does not close its doors 😕. But that said, picked up the fixings for a Brittish Golden Honey ale my own recipe using mostly Golden Promise and Gambrinous. This will be my 1st brew since Xmas 😊.

Attachments

• 20220724_150113.jpg
    20220724_150113.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Finally got the courage to go back to my fave LHBS yesterday after finding out 2 weeks ago the young owner passed away. Had a long talk with the main shop worker. The owner who passed , his wife wasn't involved much in the business and doesn't want to keep it. So the worker and his wife are trying to work out the finance to hold onto it and take over ownership. It's been so hard because the owner was so young I guess he didn't plan out a will or give his widow legal authority to have access to his accounts so it's a probate fight. Crossing my fingers that the best LHBS in these parts does not close its doors 😕. But that said, picked up the fixings for a Brittish Golden Honey ale my own recipe using mostly Golden Promise and Gambrinous. This will be my 1st brew since Xmas 😊.
Well, at least she's keeping it open during the probate. That's a plus!

Today set every bottle I had to soak labels off, two competitions coming up. And cleaned the garage. Later going to (rather belatedly, it's been almost a year since I switched to NG) celebrate the fact that I have propane that I do NOT need for brewing anymore, and BBQ some burgers for dinner. It's a lovely day here in the PNW.

@DBhomebrew, what kind of yeast do you use for your grisette and what sort of gravity to you brew them?

I have not brewed one before but have look at grisette recipes a few times. I have some wy3655-pc schelde ale that I have been keeping alive for brewing Belgian pale ales but that is a style I am drifting away from so looking for a purpose to keep the yeast. It is fairly clean just a slight amount clove and esters.

@DBhomebrew, what kind of yeast do you use for your grisette and what sort of gravity to you brew them?

I have not brewed one before but have look at grisette recipes a few times. I have some wy3655-pc schelde ale that I have been keeping alive for brewing Belgian pale ales but that is a style I am drifting away from so looking for a purpose to keep the yeast. It is fairly clean just a slight amount clove and esters.

These are the first two I've brewed. Never done a saison. Brewed a few Belgian pales a while ago with Ardennes. Just letting you know my experience in this realm is rather thin.

I followed this recipe using Omega's OYL-042 Belgian Saison II. Bumped up the gravity a touch, still quite sessionable at 1.041.

http://www.horscategoriebrewing.com/2016/10/what-is-grisette-part-ii-updated-and.html?m=1

These are the first two I've brewed. Never done a saison. Brewed a few Belgian pales a while ago with Ardennes. Just letting you know my experience in this realm is rather thin.

I followed this recipe using Omega's OYL-042 Belgian Saison II. Bumped up the gravity a touch, still quite sessionable at 1.041.

http://www.horscategoriebrewing.com/2016/10/what-is-grisette-part-ii-updated-and.html?m=1
Thanks for the information and the link. I used to brew more Belgian ales but after I had a couple non-Belgain beers get contaminated with a diastaticus yeast I got turned off on the phenolic flavors for a while. I am pretty sure it was WY3711 that I was careless with but don't know for sure.

I used to use Ardenne yeast too and really liked it as it was self clearing and you could control the flavors pretty easy by messing with the temp. Only draw back was it was kind of messy at times even with plenty of headspace in the fermentor.

I recent seen that link you posted somewhere else on HBT and have a version in beersmith already. I was planning to use tettenang hops instead of the saaz the recipe calls out. I think bumping the starting gravity a little might not be a bad idea.

Tapped my latest WF lager; not very happy with it. Got underpitched (yeast slurry jar kinda exploded when I opened it, much went down the outside of the fermenter, oops) but it's not horrible; the more I drink the less I notice the slight off-flavor it has. Doing laundry and mentally inventorying what I need to take to Oregon brewfest this weekend as well; going to make a side trip to FH Steinbarts in PDX, they have CHEAP yeast (yay no sales tax!) and I'm gonna stock up on dry Lutra, 34/70, and whatever else I can get my grubby paws on. Taking the train down and back otherwise I would also snag some grain. Also put my IT hat on and set up my personal laptop so I can do all my work stuff from it; yes I'm going out of town, but I really love this job and want to make sure everything goes smoothly while I'm gone. Only need to work an hour or so Thursday and Friday mornings while husband is still sleeping, so nothing lost. Boss was beyond grateful when I volunteered to do my usual reports tomorrow and Friday to free up his time doing the rest of my job.

Tomorrow is my 55th birthday; boss bought us lunch today, and they all chipped in for a nice gift debit card for me so I can buy some stuff when I'm on my mini-vacation. When I compare this job to my last horrible mega-corporate employer it's like night & day; I work my ass off for this place but get to spend some of each day surfing HBT and knitting, because our boss understands that our industry is quite stressful and wants us to be happy in what we do. And we get sh*t done. Happy girl tonight.

Tapped my latest WF lager; not very happy with it. Got underpitched (yeast slurry jar kinda exploded when I opened it, much went down the outside of the fermenter, oops) but it's not horrible; the more I drink the less I notice the slight off-flavor it has. Doing laundry and mentally inventorying what I need to take to Oregon brewfest this weekend as well; going to make a side trip to FH Steinbarts in PDX, they have CHEAP yeast (yay no sales tax!) and I'm gonna stock up on dry Lutra, 34/70, and whatever else I can get my grubby paws on. Taking the train down and back otherwise I would also snag some grain. Also put my IT hat on and set up my personal laptop so I can do all my work stuff from it; yes I'm going out of town, but I really love this job and want to make sure everything goes smoothly while I'm gone. Only need to work an hour or so Thursday and Friday mornings while husband is still sleeping, so nothing lost. Boss was beyond grateful when I volunteered to do my usual reports tomorrow and Friday to free up his time doing the rest of my job.

Tomorrow is my 55th birthday; boss bought us lunch today, and they all chipped in for a nice gift debit card for me so I can buy some stuff when I'm on my mini-vacation. When I compare this job to my last horrible mega-corporate employer it's like night & day; I work my ass off for this place but get to spend some of each day surfing HBT and knitting, because our boss understands that our industry is quite stressful and wants us to be happy in what we do. And we get sh*t done. Happy girl tonight.
Happy Birthday! :mug:

Happy Bday Tazz 🎈🎂🎈 🍻

Happy birthday 🍻

Had a great time at Oregon Brewfest; did not run into any fellow HBTers, but many good beers were quaffed, giggles had at drunk whippersnappers trying to sound knowledgeable, jaws dropped at some of the characters seen (MANY people dressed in cosplay/anime garb, not to mention a guy in a very pretty white sundress sporting a full beard, NTTAWWT, just a bit of a whoa, and of course the Unipiper {look him up}). Also got to visit both Deschutes and Backwoods taprooms, and had dinner last night at Paddy's Irish Pub where I rediscovered my love affair with Harp. Wanted to get out to FH Steinbarts but decided that a trip to Powell's City of Books was more important; where I picked up a book about the history of women in beer brewing, among other reads. And it was HOT. Hotel didn't have great AC so spent a lot of time outside. Glad to be home with my well-stocked kegerator.

Today I pulled my lazy ass out of bed and slapped together a mini-mash clone of Russian River's Consecration. I made some tweaks to morebeer's recipe to make use of ingredients I had on hand, swapping hallertau mitt and magnum for the styrian goldings and sterling, then I pitched 3522 Ardennes as it is my house strain and I frigging love it. When primary fermentation peters out I'll rack it onto 2 pounds of frozen blackberries and pitch 3278 Lambic blend as Roeselaere was unavailable. In 3 months I'll add some toasted oak, and hopefully bottle it at 6-8 months depending on where its at.

Today is also a few days past the 1 year anniversary of my Flanders red so I racked it onto 2 pounds of raspberries and 2 cans of sour cherries and pitched some fresh Brett Lambicus and L. Clausenii to wake it up. Planning to bottle that one around Christmas.

Last edited:
Back