What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked samples: red wine barrel-aged blackberry cider, blackberry wine, wild-fermented apple & passionfruit cider, and bourbon-barrel-aged imperial stout.
Transferred the lager into a purged keg. It’s Maris Otter, Jasmine Rice, Saaz, and Huell Melon, WLP800-Pilsner. Unique and clean and maybe I might have to do it again.
Bottled the red wine, our son likes bottle filling.
Cleaned a fermenter and two kegs.
Made more mineral water for the family.View attachment 761079View attachment 761080
OK... now you are just showing off ! ;)

Got the last stage of my lager starter spinning tonight. It started out as 10ml frozen, then made a 100ml starter, then 1l, and finally now at full volume.
I'll crash and decant it before pitching into a Czech pilsner.
IMG_0877.JPG

Every once in a while I like to break out the hand crank so I can better appreciate my drill.
I generally do small batches 2.5 - 3 gallons so I didn’t think I’d “need” to set up a drill mill. I do need exercise though so… :rock:
CF47FE26-4173-42E5-8A55-72C20D2F60D0.jpeg

Last edited:
Washed and sanitized a keg. Weighed out 3.6kg 2 row, 500 gr torrified corn, 500 gr rice, 500 gr toffee malt, and put it in a bucket. Assembled my new all rounder and am looking at heating pad options. Refilled my soda stream bottle.
should be ready to brew on Monday :)

Attachments

• C620622F-AE56-4EED-A8E4-8DD2CBAE79FE.png
    C620622F-AE56-4EED-A8E4-8DD2CBAE79FE.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 11
Well, yesterday I brewed a Mexican Hot Chocolate Stout (all-grain), and dried out the 1 oz. of cinnamon sticks that were added with 10 minutes left in the boil. So, today I crushed and ground the leftover sticks into cinnamon powder. Aroma and taste is excellent, too. Didn't want to let them go to waste!

20220305_151604.jpg

Found out a few short hours ago that two of the beers I entered in SheBrew Portland won golds! Heading down tomorrow to pick them up, also hopefully a nice prize or two. Super proud of myself tonight! Brings my total medal count to six, three gold and three silver. Gratuitous pat on the back time!!!

*edit And a big congratulations to @Hoppy2bmerry for her gold for her cider!!!

Last edited:
I crossed a threshold this weekend.

... yesterday I kegged a batch of centennial blonde before I pulled any pints off of my cold conditioning pale ale.

- keg on tap (pale ale) conditioned for a full two weeks
- keg on deck (blonde ale) sat in primary for a full two weeks

today, I am brewing a batch. working my keezer up to a max capacity (4) full kegs. That way I can plan out to a (4) keg horizon.

So far, I have been consuming a keg every (4) weeks. Once I can maintain (4) kegs - I will increase my brewery to a (10) gallon capacity and plan brew days once every (2) months. Goals...

Shed a wee tear. Mom-in-law fell and now requires full-time care, so my wife has moved in with her for the next month or so as we sort stuff out. As I am traveling up there a couple times a week also to help out, brewing will probably have to wait until April. I feel like I need to cover my gear with a shroud.

On the other hand, I went crazy at Total Wine and have a fridge full of a half dozen IPA's and PA's I have never tried before, so there is a silver lining.

Brewed some beer.
Ditched a conical that can’t be used to pressure ferment.

Dongguan Brew
4.6kg 2 row
500 corn
500 rice
500 toffee malt.
250 grams Rice hulls
Tsingtao hops @ boil, 10 mins, flameout. Double the yeast nutrient add @ 10 minutes.

Mash 18 liters. 20 liters in the coffee warmer. Adjust PH to 5.2
In at 120 rest 15 minutes
140 40 mins
155 40 mins
168 10 mins
Sparge 172 @ 6.5 gallons boil

SG 1.064
Kveik Mangrove Jacks @ 90.
Hit 12 psi in 4 hours and going strong.
Sorry for mixing metric with standard units.

Attachments

• D1D45806-C472-45FE-88E4-61ED1870343E.jpeg
    D1D45806-C472-45FE-88E4-61ED1870343E.jpeg
    460.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5495.MP4
    1.8 MB
  • BAC1CD4D-E848-46C9-94D4-F5AA47C53E4B.jpeg
    BAC1CD4D-E848-46C9-94D4-F5AA47C53E4B.jpeg
    712 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
My recipe here is called Black plague. It ended up being a 16% ABV Imperial Stout. I just racked it into a Barrel I treated with wild Turkey 101. It will stay in the barrel for 3 months or so, and then age again for three more months before possibly ready.
PXL_20220308_164201537.jpg
PXL_20220308_170646723.MP.jpg

Not today but yesterday, got my semi-melted 7g fermonster back to usability. A few weeks back a badly-positioned heat lamp warped the hell out of the poor thing, and the neck was transformed from a nice circle to a horrible oval. On a whim last night I took the o-ring out of the lid, carefully screwed it onto the threads, then dipped the neck into some very hot water in my kettle. The top is now a little bit weird but the neck is now perfectly circular and it holds pressure (somewhat). A bit of keg lube and it will be fine. Not the prettiest thing but it will work.

20220309_174947[1].jpg

Made a 40mile run up to the furthest HBS close to me to drop off beers for a homebrew competition. This is first competition I have entered since the covid thing started. Picked up some grain while I was there to give them some business. The grain is malted in the bay area and grown in California, yet it costs 50% more than imported malt from Europe.

Also cleaned a keg and kegged up a golden ale.

Made by own IPA yeast blend for my hazy double IPA I'm brewing this weekend. I had some old London fog I've only used once. So, I blended it with some London ale III, and metschnikowia reukaufii wildflower yeast. It smells really good so far! Calling it London's juice haha.
PXL_20220309_151026610.jpg

Shed a wee tear. Mom-in-law fell and now requires full-time care, so my wife has moved in with her for the next month or so as we sort stuff out. As I am traveling up there a couple times a week also to help out, brewing will probably have to wait until April. I feel like I need to cover my gear with a shroud.

On the other hand, I went crazy at Total Wine and have a fridge full of a half dozen IPA's and PA's I have never tried before, so there is a silver lining.
Sorry to hear about MIL. We all go through trials and tribulations. We are all pulling for her! My wife is a Director of Admissions and Director of Marketing for a local elder care facility so it's everyday thing in this house. We all love our beer and everything it entails but sometimes it has to go on the back burner. Sending prayers 🙏

Back