What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
imagejpeg_0_01.jpg

imagejpeg_1.jpg

Scored 220ish 22oz bottles from Berkeley Beer Company in Taunton, MA. I was taking a tour of the brewery and mentioned that it was a pain that the 16oz can craze with craft breweries was making it hard for me to get empty bottles, so the owner said I could have all of his, that had been collecting dust. I thought he would give me a case or two, but he loaded my car up!

View attachment 751071
View attachment 751072
Scored 220ish 22oz bottles from Berkeley Beer Company in Taunton, MA. I was taking a tour of the brewery and mentioned that it was a pain that the 16oz can craze with craft breweries was making it hard for me to get empty bottles, so the owner said I could have all of his, that had been collecting dust. I thought he would give me a case or two, but he loaded my car up!

That is awesome!

Went to my fave LHBS to get the fixens for my 3 gallon 🎄 spiced brown ale. I love the place but I hate when you ask for something specific , they don't have it and they want to give you a substitute. If I ask for English Crystal I don't want Crystal 120L. If I ask for 4oz light Chocolate I don't want 2oz 400L choc 😕. Just too late to order my specifics online cutting it close already. Just have to hope it comes out the way I envisioned. Also went to 4 more stores in a different town in search of the elusive Leinenkugels Chocolate Bock. No dice. Only Toasted Bock.

Went to my fave LHBS
Which place do you go to, Sean?
I ran into much the same disappointment at the place on Chicago Rd and Mound, across the parking lot from Kuhnhenn Brewing. I don't use them anymore. I now use Adventures In Home Brewing (ridiculous name but whatever). They seem to stay on top of things. Considering where you live, they're a little far but they do online ordering and have been competent, in my experience.

Attachments

• 1638582379583.jpeg
    1638582379583.jpeg
    5.4 KB · Views: 8
I ran into much the same disappointment at the place on Chicago Rd and Mound, across the parking lot from Kuhnhenn Brewing. I don't use them anymore. I now use Adventures In Home Brewing (ridiculous name but whatever). They seem to stay on top of things. Considering where you live, they're a little far but they do online ordering and have been competent, in my experience.
I went to that LHBS on Chicago once years ago. I didn't have good vibes in there at all, like they didn't really want my business. So for 10 years I've been going to Cap N Cork on 21 mile and Garfield. Love it !!! It's a small place but really nice. Great bunch of guys in there, Andrew, Kevin, Justin. Andrew is the owner. They have a tasting room with a mini micro brewery. They usually have what you need on hand. Kits are a bit expensive but i get my grains, hops and yeast there. I highly recommend them !! They even have a rewards program of earning store credit for future purchases. Very Good inventory but I wish they would expand a little on the types of grain available like English Crystal or Carared..little things. They are extremely helpful and pretty much helped me with great advise going from all extract to all grain. Tell them Sean Walker sent you ! I'm pretty sure I'm the only brown faced home brewer who goes there ! 😂

Yeah AHB would be about an hour drive. I have ordered some things from them before. I should use them more. I just order most of my big ticket items from Northern Brewer. They are really great at getting you your orders and solving any issues. Just became kind of a loyalty thing but I may start doing more ordering from AHB...home state store and all. Speaking of which tomorrow GO BLUE !!!!

Cap N Cork on 21 mile
That's the one my nephew goes to.
Looks like your place is sound which is good to know.
Ironically, the one thing Brewingworld (the LHBS) had was LOTS of different grains.
When the dude was sleeping in the back of the brewery across the parking lot from the homebrew store and I had to walk over there to get him up, that's when I said enough.

That's the one my nephew goes to.
Looks like your place is sound which is good to know.
Ironically, the one thing Brewingworld (the LHBS) had was LOTS of different grains.
When the dude was sleeping in the back of the brewery across the parking lot from the homebrew store and I had to walk over there to get him up, that's when I said enough.
😂😂😂 A little too much of his own product maybe !!!

A little too much of his own product maybe
I had the notion that the clerk had gotten hammered.
I could have backed a truck in and taken whatever I wanted. I waited ten minutes before I went over to the bar to go get him.
When I used to go in there, all the employees were mid drinking a pint.

Last edited:
Its also kind of a plus going there. I'm in Oakland county but my mom lives in Shelby Township on 23 mile which is just 4 miles from Cap N Cork which then puts me 1/2 way to Joint Base Selfridge A.N.G where we shop sometimes. It's like killing 3 birds with 1 stone. Too bad the LHBS on Chicago is not that great, I cross right over Chicago Rd 2x a day dropping my wife off at work in Warran.

Side note...have you run across any stores carrying Leinenkugels Chocolate Bock ??? I only see the Toasted Bock. Strange cause Wisconsin is right next door. I mean they have every other Leinenkugels beer here , why not Chocolate Bock ??

Today I cleaned up a keg and some bottles to package my best bitter tomorrow.

Yesterday I brewed a WCIPA using galaxy, azacca and cashmere hops. I came in slight over my expected gravity as over boiled, but then I added some spring water and a little sugar and got it close to my expectations.
IMG_3490 - Copy.JPG

Cleaned the brew kettle, Avil 4 gal fermenter and the Chapman fermenter to use as a HLT in preparation for tomorrow's brew day of 3gal spiced brown ale. Was gonna do it today but opened my sanitizer bucket to shock. Was a cloudy yellow and the bucket lid had mold 😯😵. What bad mamba Jamba bugs/mold can survive in a starsan environment ?!? Never had that happen in 17 years. And of course didn't have 5 gallons of distilled water on hand so put off till tomorrow. Did a good soapy chlorine wash of the bucket. I'm still freaked out about mold in a starsan bucket !!! SCARY.....Yeah, SCARY. Solution was about 6 months old. I've gone a year without problems with the same solution. Never turned yellow before.
16388321430118051789148643153234.jpg

Cleaned the brew kettle, Avil 4 gal fermenter and the Chapman fermenter to use as a HLT in preparation for tomorrow's brew day of 3gal spiced brown ale. Was gonna do it today but opened my sanitizer bucket to shock. Was a cloudy yellow and the bucket lid had mold 😯😵. What bad mamba Jamba bugs/mold can survive in a starsan environment ?!? Never had that happen in 17 years. And of course didn't have 5 gallons of distilled water on hand so put off till tomorrow. Did a good soapy chlorine wash of the bucket. I'm still freaked out about mold in a starsan bucket !!! SCARY.....Yeah, SCARY. Solution was about 6 months old. I've gone a year without problems with the same solution. Never turned yellow before.View attachment 751459
I keep a bucket of starsan that I dump and remake every few weeks. I used RO water and it keeps it from turns cloudy so quick. I put a cover over top of it to reduce evaporation and keep gnats out of it. I get mold on the lid from time to time, it looks like the mold is growing where I had touched the lid. If I remember I rinse the lid with starsan before replacing it and that seems to help keeping it from growing. With the lid on, inside of bucket is a pretty ideal place to grow mold. Never had mold grow in the starsan itself just on the lid.

This is a pic of stuff growing on/in an aeration stone that was stored in starsan. So it can happen.
How to clean aeration stone

I keep a bucket of starsan that I dump and remake every few weeks. I used RO water and it keeps it from turns cloudy so quick. I put a cover over top of it to reduce evaporation and keep gnats out of it. I get mold on the lid from time to time, it looks like the mold is growing where I had touched the lid. If I remember I rinse the lid with starsan before replacing it and that seems to help keeping it from growing. With the lid on, inside of bucket is a pretty ideal place to grow mold. Never had mold grow in the starsan itself just on the lid.

This is a pic of stuff growing on/in an aeration stone that was stored in starsan. So it can happen.
How to clean aeration stone
Just never happened before. Kind of a shock. I used to dump my starsan every 2nd or 3rd batch but decided to stop doing that as long as the solution was clear or not full of floaters it was good. Never ever had mold grow on the underside of the lid I squirt the lid too after I'm done. Maybe I'll go back to more frequent changes.

Cleaned the brew kettle, Avil 4 gal fermenter and the Chapman fermenter to use as a HLT in preparation for tomorrow's brew day of 3gal spiced brown ale. Was gonna do it today but opened my sanitizer bucket to shock. Was a cloudy yellow and the bucket lid had mold 😯😵. What bad mamba Jamba bugs/mold can survive in a starsan environment ?!? Never had that happen in 17 years. And of course didn't have 5 gallons of distilled water on hand so put off till tomorrow. Did a good soapy chlorine wash of the bucket. I'm still freaked out about mold in a starsan bucket !!! SCARY.....Yeah, SCARY. Solution was about 6 months old. I've gone a year without problems with the same solution. Never turned yellow before.View attachment 751459

Wow, you are lucky that you haven't had an issue keeping starsan in solution for extended periods of time. It is a mild sanitizer and doesn't retain its sanitizing ability for long periods once diluted with water. Your post reminds me it's time to remake my solution in my spray bottle. I try to remake it at least monthly. I rely on it to help keep faucets, beer post etc sanitized regularly.

Wow, you are lucky that you haven't had an issue keeping starsan in solution for extended periods of time. It is a mild sanitizer and doesn't retain its sanitizing ability for long periods once diluted with water. Your post reminds me it's time to remake my solution in my spray bottle. I try to remake it at least monthly. I rely on it to help keep faucets, beer post etc sanitized regularly.
I'm going back to changing it every 2 or 3 batches. I only brew about 4-5 batches a year so maybe that's why it lasted. Nope no more. 1 mold scare was quite enough thank you !!!

Finally brewed my Christmas Spiced Brown Ale. I was getting nervous time was running out. Seemed like fate was trying to make me miss brewing my annual Xmas beer. I'm a 3 week primary ferment type but may have to cut it back to 10-14 days. Gonna split 1/2 between bottles and half in my new 1.75gal keg. Bottles probably won't be ready till New Year but at least I'll be able to force keg half of it for Xmas evening. Sweet orange peel, sweet tangerine peel, Cinnamon, Ginger , Clove (just a few) and Allspice...YUM 😁
20211207_132211.jpg
20211207_135456.jpg
20211207_135757.jpg

That's what I saw today at the new Kroger on 9 MILE and Harper. They had a lot of it. I'll keep looking.
I actually wrote Leinenkugels and heard back from them today. They said like everyone else they are feeling the pandemic crunch, short workers, short packaging supplies and transport so they have not been able to get all their brands to all the markets they normally do. They are doing their best and will try to get Chocolate Dunkel and Snowdrift Vanilla Porter to SE Michigan but no promises...so that was probably their politically correct way of telling me to bugger off 😂😂😂😂

I actually wrote Leinenkugels and heard back from them today. They said like everyone else they are feeling the pandemic crunch, short workers, short packaging supplies and transport so they have not been able to get all their brands to all the markets they normally do. They are doing their best and will try to get Chocolate Dunkel and Snowdrift Vanilla Porter to SE Michigan but no promises...so that was probably their politically correct way of telling me to bugger off 😂😂😂😂

Maybe your inquiry for SE Michigan got the shipment bumped up the list. You never know I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

That's what I saw today at the new Kroger on 9 MILE and Harper. They had a lot of it. I'll keep looking.
Wow I wasn't too far from there today. 13 mile and Groesbeck. Been awhile since I been down Groesbeck, I forgot it's same road as North Avenue. When I was in High School in Romeo, I did my Army Reserve drills on Groesbeck.

How about that? Wa
I actually wrote Leinenkugels and heard back from them today. They said like everyone else they are feeling the pandemic crunch, short workers, short packaging supplies and transport so they have not been able to get all their brands to all the markets they normally do. They are doing their best and will try to get Chocolate Dunkel and Snowdrift Vanilla Porter to SE Michigan but no promises...so that was probably their politically correct way of telling me to bugger off
I'm never happy with communicating to a large company. They're terrified of negative publicity and so give a wishy-washy response no matter what. 99% of us wouldn't consider suing them but that's how they behave. It's utterly frustrating trying to have an actual conversation.
Who knows? They could be on the up and up with why they aren't distributing.

The supply chain is really messed up. I do China sourcing work. Most suppliers are not even quoting lead times any more, you have to place a PO for 52 weeks and then they try to pull it in. I think we are still 2 years out from a new equilibrium. Amazon has thrown a monkey wrench into drivers and the lower end wage structure. You can do crappy restaurant work or go drive for Amazon. And there are shortages of everything that crops up.

Sniffed the airlock of the Brown spiced Ale...WONDERFUL !!! Bubbling away ! Delightful
1639004808137304431871855660039.jpg
smell of chocolate candy covered spiced oranges. I thought I was being slick when I snuck into the basement storage room to get my sniff fix. The fermenter is on the floor of the storage room where it's about 67°. I had to get down on my knees to sniff it. Turned around and the wife was standing there sadly shaking her head at her airlock sniffing addict husband 😳. She went back upstairs and abandoned me to my nefarious activity.

Back