What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 742795
got my beer engine finished. mini fridge below with 2gallon keg at 54 degrees. low volume of CO2. Came out as I planned. Bourbon Barrel Stout now being served.
Bracc beat me to it, but are you SURE you have enough glasses???? That is one beautiful setup!

Just explain to me why I feel the white hot need to save all posts, dip tubes and lids before tossing the carcasses.
Because those things bought by themselves are spensive; also when you REALLY need one you have none to hand (or that might just be me).

Speaking of which, anyone else have a "junk" drawer where all your small odds & ends from equipment, kegs, what have you, goes to gather dust? Yep, thought so.

Lol, @seatazz your question takes on a whole new issue for me. I've been storing bits and pieces for many years. I have two huge storage tubs with taps, quick connects, gauges, various bar items and such. Not to mention the two tool boxes with current use hardware items. My house just sold where my brewery and equipment are kept. I'm building a new smaller house and I am now task with the choir of determining what to keep and what I can let go. My new home build will have a dedicated brewery/tap room. But the bulk of the two tubs need to go. Sometimes we just have to let it go. Oh yeah, and the old tool box from back when I bottled, it even has a counter flow bottle filler, pin lock QCs, corny keg O rings etc, etc. I have a lot of things to get rid of.

Because those things bought by themselves are spensive; also when you REALLY need one you have none to hand (or that might just be me).

Speaking of which, anyone else have a "junk" drawer where all your small odds & ends from equipment, kegs, what have you, goes to gather dust? Yep, thought so.

"A" junk drawer?
Just one?

PSHAW!

well......i used the dryer with the lint screen taken out to deculm my malt today. made it easy and the malt is the cleanest i've ever seen homemalt. but i think i lost around a pound of malt. next time i do it, i'll only do it for 10 minutes, instead of 30. see if i don't lose as much.

got my strike water heating, and looking forward to trying my 9 quart HLT, for a 10 gallon batch, lol :D i also have a neat new sparge diffuser, custom built by @Jaybird

still needs some tweaking, but looking forward to seeing it in action!

i used the dryer with the lint screen taken out to deculm my malt today. made it easy and the malt is the cleanest i've ever seen homemalt. but i think i lost around a pound of malt

I would worry that the pound of missing malt, along with those nefariously sneaky single missing socks, would now be roasting and toasting each time the dryer is used in the future.

I would worry that the pound of missing malt, along with those nefariously sneaky single missing socks, would now be roasting and toasting each time the dryer is used in the future.

yeah i was thinking about it also.. thinking about the fire extinguisher.....maybe a used 120v dryer? have to look into it, dedicated just for deculming....

Today I did the unthinkable and "retired" 3 kegs.

Just explain to me why I feel the white hot need to save all posts, dip tubes and lids before tossing the carcasses.
So you plan to toss the actual kegs? If you left them in tact seem like you could easily find someone to take them off your hands if they are serviceable.

So you plan to toss the actual kegs? If you left them in tact seem like you could easily find someone to take them off your hands if they are serviceable.

yeah, I am not being kind to whatever local HB community exists, evidence of which is sporadic and fleeting. But they were serviceable. A sad recycling slash pay it fwd opportunity missed and I lose the the appropriate karma points for it.

Paid a visit to the Brass Tap on Panama City Beach to see what they have new on tap. 60 taps and not one pilsner. Oh well plenty of other options.
IMG_20210919_154813609.jpg

Kinda petty, but found out today that the competition I've been working towards the last two months, that was judged this last weekend, won't be posting results online; nope, we have to go to the awards ceremony on Saturday night where we'll find out. Only reason I'm glum is because I had psyched myself up that I would know by this Wednesday how my babies did; now I have to wait three days past that. I'm a fairly patient homebrewer (only took me three years after starting to find out that patience is THE most important ingredient in any homebrew recipe), but I'm also an antsy one who wants to know NOW how I did. Fortunately it's only about a 45 minute drive to get there. Oh well, guess this delicious homebrew won't drink itself....

Wired in a couple of outlets in my basement brewery. I hope to get a couple of sheets of drywall hung tomorrow. Also worked on a recipe for a wheat beer…considering using apple cider for part of the water. Any thoughts on this? I’m thinking 4# wheat, 4# Munich, 14# 2 row, cascades at around 30 ibu, S05 yeast. 10 gallon batch, probably 2 gallons of it cider.

A small 1.7 cu foot. Mini fridge. The keg is a 1.7 gallon. Had to cut the door shelf out and position the keg just right, but it works. I built the cabnet to fit a bigger mini fridge. Will probably upgrade in the future. For now everything works. Really built this for short pours of a dark style to supplement the other 3 taps. Right now it has a bourbon barrel stout on.

Thanks for the info @Scottyward. I have a few 1.7gal kegs I have been using for English ales and have been putting them on the shelf of my keezer. There are times I think I need a bigger keezer but have also thought about doing a dedicated mini fridge for the English ales so I can store and serve at traditional temps instead of the 45F I serve my other beers.

There also other days I think more like @balrog and possible the best solution is less kegs.

Brewed a Beamish Stout tribute (instead of clones, I prefer to brew something close based on my brewing style and preferences). Unfortunately, after getting started I realized I didn't have any black patent in stock, so made due with only Baird's chocolate malt instead of a chocolate/black mix. The gravity test came out pretty decent. Don't worry, relax and have a homebrew.

I love this concept.
Ya, I had an epiphany on yet another Guinness attempt. It was a decent drinker but not up to the standards of the nitro can. And my buddies from Ireland say that whilst the nitro can is drinkable, you have to go to Ireland for the real deal. Anyhoo, why the hell have I spent time on trying to clone but fall short of a real Guinness, which is pretty much available anywhere in the world? Instead, go back to the basics of a tribute aka something drinkable close to a beer I can't readily purchase? Hense, a Beamish tribute makes more sense to me. Ditto for say Anchor Steam. Anchor Steam was my first real beer in 1980, and still is my calibration for purchasing, as in if it ain't better than an Anchor Steam, why pay money for it?

Likewise, one is hard pressed to find a CAMRA style real ale of 3-4% ABV in the US. But it's pretty easy to brew your own, so that's what I do. Tribute and not necessarily a clone. Your mileage may vary ;)

Anchor Steam was my first real beer in 1980, and still is my calibration for purchasing, as in if it ain't better than an Anchor Steam, why pay money for it?
This is also awesome. Sam Adams is my calibration beer.

It sounds like @kmarkstevens is a philosopher (and a good brewer) and is another that we need to recruit into the next round of Fellowship of the Homebrew!

nope, 10 gallon cider batches! suck it up, you're off the brewing, but you don't have to lick boot because of it! some cheap juice, and you'll have a great new house warming!
Oh I'll definitely be making meads and most likely ciders if I can get the time to go pick apples. I might even set my brewery up at a family members house. I'm just worried they might get used to it there.

Kegged my festbier/Marzen as well, although it was only on the yeast a week. I'm pushy that way. Tasted great, came down to 1.020, just 2 points over the projected which is good enough for me. Now it sits on serving pressure for a week before giving it a small taste, and hopefully a couple weeks more if I can keep my impatient hands off of it.

Kegged my festbier/Marzen as well, although it was only on the yeast a week. I'm pushy that way. Tasted great, came down to 1.020, just 2 points over the projected which is good enough for me. Now it sits on serving pressure for a week before giving it a small taste, and hopefully a couple weeks more if I can keep my impatient hands off of it.

I'm in the same boat. I kegged a batch of CAP today and it was soooooooo enticing coming out of the fermenter, nice and clear and the Liberty hops were popping in a big way. I am sorely tempted to give it the shake it and crank it treatment, but I know it'll be even better in a few weeks.

Waiting sucks.

I'm currently chilling a batch of something that I need a name for. I'm currently thinking of it as a Modern German Pils, perhaps a Nouveau Bavarian Pils because I've had a pint and I'm proud of the fact that I can spell "nouveau?" Anyway, it's bog standard German ingredients and mash techniques coupled with modern, West Coast hopping doctrine. A 2oz whirlpool of Hallertauer Mittelfruh at 170 for 45min is amazing. It really showcases just how floral HM can be. I'm eager to have this one on tap again. At any rate, its current name is "German Pils IV," it deserves better than that.

Yeah, waiting sucks.

Last edited:
Back