What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled an 8.5 month batch of Belgian Triple (12.5% ABV). I used a pack of MJ-41 in 2 cups of water and 1/4 cup sugar and let it ferment until today. I'll add 1/2 cup of priming sugar the usual way for bottling.
Im not a triple expert but why 8.5 months ? I got a pal who makes Triple Terror and it's 3 weeks ferment 3 weeks lager.

Up until the MegaPots I now use with induction, my HLT was a 5G stockpot from my cheffing days.
What kind of induction unit ? I bought an 1800w about 5 years ago and still have not tried it out, just to heat up the HLT. I use my electric stove top and though with one kettle it's great, , 2 kettles at the same time is alittle hard on the Juice . Bought a turkey burner too but very reluctant to boil outside, our air quality is not the best...always something floating around 😕. I may dig out the Induction and give it a try.

Im not a triple expert but why 8.5 months ? I got a pal who makes Triple Terror and it's 3 weeks ferment 3 weeks lager.
That's what I normally do too. I tweaked my back and other things came up. I'm interested in how this one will turn out. FG read 1.000. Should have read 1.004. Smelled great. I paid attention to the aroma and it was very nice. I re-yeasted with 2 C of water and 1/4 C sugar and let that turn into a starter-type deal. Then the usual 1/2 C of priming sugar.
Edit: By the way, the super Kroger at Nine and Harper has KBS, Backwood Bastard, Dragon's Milk and a beer called Bourbon Barrel Quad by Boulevard (12% ABV). I'm in a little bit of heaven going to Kroger now.

That's what I normally do too. I tweaked my back and other things came up. I'm interested in how this one will turn out. FG read 1.000. Should have read 1.004. Smelled great. I paid attention to the aroma and it was very nice. I re-yeasted with 2 C of water and 1/4 C sugar and let that turn into a starter-type deal. Then the usual 1/2 C of priming sugar.
Edit: By the way, the super Kroger at Nine and Harper has KBS, Backwood Bastard, Dragon's Milk and a beer called Bourbon Barrel Quad by Boulevard (12% ABV). I'm in a little bit of heaven going to Kroger now.
Wow I have not been down to 9 mile and Harper in a few years. I mainly do all my shopping in Rochester Hills, Troy sometimes Royal Oak, everything 16 mile and North and East and far East of Woodward. Sounds like that Kroger is much better than the beers in all my local Krogers. Would love to taste that Boulevard Quad. One of my daughter's graduated U of Kansas and I got a chance to visit Boulevard brewery. Fell in love with their Boulevard Wheat. That was 4 years ago and I still have 2 left !

What kind of induction unit ? I bought an 1800w about 5 years ago and still have not tried it out, just to heat up the HLT. I use my electric stove top and though with one kettle it's great, , 2 kettles at the same time is alittle hard on the Juice . Bought a turkey burner too but very reluctant to boil outside, our air quality is not the best...always something floating around 😕. I may dig out the Induction and give it a try.
I use a 3500W for the boil and an 1800W for the HLT. It takes about 1 1/2 hrs to heat up 8 Gallons for mash, but only about 15 minutes to bring 7 gallons up to a boil from mash temp. I only had the one 220 outlet, but I may upgrade later on.

I use a 3500W for the boil and an 1800W for the HLT. It takes about 1 1/2 hrs to heat up 8 Gallons for mash, but only about 15 minutes to bring 7 gallons up to a boil from mash temp. I only had the one 220 outlet, but I may upgrade later on.
Wow 1800w takes 1.5 hours to reach sparge temp ? I thought maybe 45-60 min. Guess I better invest in a stronger Induction unit.

Bottled a best bitter. Harvested two 1/2 pints of 4th generation Pub.

Rather clear after three weeks in the fermenter.

20210724_221233.jpg

Man we were running for cover last night from the tornado passing near by. I've been all over the world, endured training in every kind of weather but last night was the loudest thunder and lightning I've ever experienced. Did you guys get the same where you are?

Did you guys get the same where you are?
I was tracking that storm and it looked like we were going to get walloped but it was no more than a moderate to below-moderate storm. We live in the NE corner of the city and it's odd that really bad weather, deep snow, etc. skirts north or south very often.
We were actually prepared to take our pets and ourselves to the basement under the stairs but we got lucky.

I was tracking that storm and it looked like we were going to get walloped but it was no more than a moderate to below-moderate storm. We live in the NE corner of the city and it's odd that really bad weather, deep snow, etc. skirts north or south very often.
We were actually prepared to take our pets and ourselves to the basement under the stairs but we got lucky.
Cool. We were in the basement closet for 45 min. Sounded like the lightening was hitting our patio. Could actually see the basement light up from the brightness of the strikes.

Holy cow!
My wife commented that it was the first time we either had a tornado warning or planned to take cover because of a storm in the 30 years we've lived here.
I don't know about your side of town but there's been a ton of flooded basements on this side of town from here all the way through the Grosse Pointes. Weather has been a mess for a lot of people this year. We remain fortunate.

Yesterday, I took apart the A/C unit and began the modifications (bending tubing, bypassing temperature control) for the glycol unit build. Today, we made the platform and cut the cooler. Waiting for the spray-fill insulation to finish curing. Should be able to finish it tomorrow and begin sewing the neoprene sleeve insulators for the fermenters.
IMG_1044.JPG
IMG_1045.JPG
IMG_1047.JPG

Yesterday, I took apart the A/C unit and began the modifications (bending tubing, bypassing temperature control) for the glycol unit build. Today, we made the platform and cut the cooler. Waiting for the spray-fill insulation to finish curing. Should be able to finish it tomorrow and begin sewing the neoprene sleeve insulators for the fermenters.View attachment 736791View attachment 736792View attachment 736793
I wish I had those mad skills! Kick myself for years for not learning mechanical and electrical skills.

Holy cow!
My wife commented that it was the first time we either had a tornado warning or planned to take cover because of a storm in the 30 years we've lived here.
I don't know about your side of town but there's been a ton of flooded basements on this side of town from here all the way through the Grosse Pointes. Weather has been a mess for a lot of people this year. We remain fortunate.
Growing up in Romeo I saw 2 tornados in the distance, had to jump in a ditch outside of Ft. Hood Texas as one screamed by and almost got caught by one leaving Galveston heading back toward Houston. Did about 95 mph down Texas HWY 6 to stay ahead of it. Been through 3 hurricanes, Hawaii , Florida and Texas. Bad luck for a small town Michigan guy!

I wish I had those mad skills! Kick myself for years for not learning mechanical and electrical skills.

I don't have mad skills; I'm just dumb enough to plow forward until I hit brick walls ;).

I read a lot, check up on what other people have done, and then give myself the time to F*** it up and then fix it. My designs may not be the most efficient, but I didn't crimp or crack any of the refrigeration piping, so that's a win. Otherwise, I'd be watching youtube videos on how to fix copper pipe as well! We'll find out tomorrow if my insulation solution works or not!

Cool. We were in the basement closet for 45 min. Sounded like the lightening was hitting our patio. Could actually see the basement light up from the brightness of the strikes.
Wow, I remember doing that when we lived near Detroit many years ago, Fortunately, the area in Ontario where we are now does not see many tornado warnings. Hope that you all stayed safe.

Sipping today on what just may be the best batch of WF lager I've done. And kicking myself for trashing the yeast slurry instead of saving it; I've got to make another batch in a couple weeks for competition, and this recipe does better on slurry than fresh. Of course, I could just bottle what I need from this batch (need 5 total for two competitions) but I'm worried it will lose carbonation. Which is silly since the last two competitions I've entered, this same recipe (bottled off the keg) had pretty good scores for head retention and carbonation levels. So maybe I will....just need to hide the bottles good in the back of the fridge so someone doesn't find them....like me when I run out of the keg!

@seatazzz, how do you fill your bottles for competitions, have you tired the method outlined in this thread? we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun

It seems to work well for me but you do loose a little carbonation. I have bumped the pressure for a day or two to compensate and deal with foamier pours at home.
Yes, I have used that method to great effect! However I bought myself a growler filler earlier this year (basically a silicone tube with a fitting that goes in the tap) that works just as well, as long as I purge some of the co2 off the keg first. Otherwise I'm dumping tons of foam. As long as I cap on foam I don't lose much carbonation. I even bought a fancy (not beergun fancy, but amazon fancy) bottle filler 2 years ago that got used once, because its a PITA to put together. *Edit forgot to add, it works on the same principle as the one outlined in the thread, except you have to hook up co2 to it. That's why PITA.

Yes, I have used that method to great effect! However I bought myself a growler filler earlier this year (basically a silicone tube with a fitting that goes in the tap) that works just as well, as long as I purge some of the co2 off the keg first. Otherwise I'm dumping tons of foam. As long as I cap on foam I don't lose much carbonation. I even bought a fancy (not beergun fancy, but amazon fancy) bottle filler 2 years ago that got used once, because its a PITA to put together. *Edit forgot to add, it works on the same principle as the one outlined in the thread, except you have to hook up co2 to it. That's why PITA.
I have a semi fancy one too, added disconnects and a carbonation cap to make connects to the keg and CO2 easy, but cleaning sucks and the picnic tap and piece of racking cane works so well it very seldom gets used. Good luck on your competition.

Last edited:
Been a very responsible bottle-drinker the last few days; bought a 12-pack of Ninkasi on Sunday, have had 6 so far and each bottle got well rinsed once empty. Tonight I soaked them in very warm oxyclean water, labels fell off in about 5 minutes. Well rinsed, they are now in the fridge to chill about an hour before filling with my yummy lager. Bench capper that usually lives in a very dusty corner of the garage is now clean and ready to go, found the unmarked caps, and also found that my nifty chalk pens will wipe off the caps once I have the competition labels printed so I know what's what. Gonna do that later too since I've already registered and paid for the entries. More excited (and prepared, I might say) for this competition than any other I've entered. Also a bit worried that for a usually huge comp that hasn't been held since 2019 because of that virus thing, there's only 79 entries (cap is 250, limit of 5 for each entrant) after 1.5 weeks.

Finished the glycol chiller build. Still need to fill it. I have heard two different recommendations: 1:2 or 1:1, glycol to H2O. Any ideas?

EDIT: the ProBrewer website recommends 33-35% glycol to distilled H2O, so a 1:2 ratio it is!

I am looking forward to chilling three fermentations at the same time, and one of my neighbors is harassing me for more PA/IPA. I guess I'm doing something right.
IMG_1232.JPG
IMG_1233.JPG

EDIT: Filled it, tested it, labelled everything. Ready for fermentation! Quiet, too! Now I need to tap the lids of the SS Brewtech Brewbuckets so they will allow for the Anvil cooling systems and make the neoprene sleeves for insulation and I will have received max efficiency (well, for my half-@$$ed construction).

IMG_1234.JPG

Last edited:
Got confused by a massive drop in gravity for the Bitter American clone (9.5% ABV when I was shooting for about 4.3%), then I realized when I dry hopped it, the mesh bag must have landed on the Tilt in the fermenter.

Luckily, I'd tied off the hops bag with a string and knotted it to a handle on the outside of the fermenter, so I just loosed the lid slightly and pulled the hops bag off the Tilt.

Back to normal.
Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 5.50.55 PM.png

Back