What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I am asking the community for help in what I can do with the bounty: 6# of lemon zest (in the freezer) and 2 1/2 gallons of juice (in the fridge).
Gal at work has a lemon tree. She juices the lemons and puts the juice in gallon ziplock bags in the freezer. She makes lemon chicken with the juice throughout the year.

No brewing for me for at least 2 weeks; two in the ferment fridge currently crashing, and the Kveik Kolsch ready to keg today. Haven't touched it since I brewed it, it was done with primary after ONE day but I've let it sit because busy. Can't wait to see how it turned out.

No brewing for me for at least 2 weeks; two in the ferment fridge currently crashing, and the Kveik Kolsch ready to keg today. Haven't touched it since I brewed it, it was done with primary after ONE day but I've let it sit because busy. Can't wait to see how it turned out.
Got damn, I just tested this guy and it came down to 1.008, lowest I've ever hit. And if I did the math right, efficiency is at 76% which is one hell of an improvement on my usual 60-65%. I got 5.6%ABV out of 10 POUNDS of grain, wow. Yay new mash tun!! Also this ale promises to be pretty good; pre-kegging sample tastes great, no fruity esters that I thought I would get with dry Kveik fermented about 85-90, just a nice crisp ale. Success!!

Which Kveik?
Lallemand Dry Kveik. First time trying it, very very impressed, 10/10 will use again and again. PItched at 100, maybe got down to 85 (doubt that it's been HAWT), and finished clean. No esters, just a nice ale. I don't know what the exact ferment temp was because it was out in my garage wrapped in a blanket & towel, in a milk crate where it's hard to see the fermometer.

Maybe not exactly FOR beer, but it's related to beer, so...was rinsing a keg for my Kveik Kolsch this morning at the kitchen sink, and the cold water faucet decided it didn't want to turn off. Futzed with it for over an hour before realizing it was toast. Hie us off to HD for a new faucet, got one of the spiffy new-fangled drop-down sprayer ones. 4 hours later it's installed and pretty. Installation was easy, it was getting the old one out that took forever. Had to use the drill to get one of the stupid plastic basin nuts off and lots of Blast to loosen up old metal nuts.

Picked up my new sack of grain from the LHBS group order. I had ordered Simpsons Golden Promise, but someone made a mistake and I received Simpsons Best Pale Ale. I'm sure it'll be delicious, but I am a little bummed. At my speed, it's 4-5 months worth of mistake. Still a quality malt, it'll be great.

Lallemand Dry Kveik. First time trying it, very very impressed, 10/10 will use again and again. PItched at 100, maybe got down to 85 (doubt that it's been HAWT), and finished clean. No esters, just a nice ale. I don't know what the exact ferment temp was because it was out in my garage wrapped in a blanket & towel, in a milk crate where it's hard to see the fermometer.

no orange?!!

Maybe not exactly FOR beer, but it's related to beer, so...was rinsing a keg for my Kveik Kolsch this morning at the kitchen sink, and the cold water faucet decided it didn't want to turn off. Futzed with it for over an hour before realizing it was toast. Hie us off to HD for a new faucet, got one of the spiffy new-fangled drop-down sprayer ones. 4 hours later it's installed and pretty. Installation was easy, it was getting the old one out that took forever. Had to use the drill to get one of the stupid plastic basin nuts off and lots of Blast to loosen up old metal nuts.

I.
Hate.
Plumbing.

Seattle this weekend is finally into Kviek temperature. 95F now, 100F tomorrow and 107F for Monday. I was going to pitch PUB tonight on a pseudo golden ale, but I am now considering the Voss Kviek...Good thing I checked in today! If I pitch Voss, it's prolly done by Monday and then spund it.

Also, just to overshare, I'm prolly going to start a beer cleanse on Monday for a week or three.

Seattle this weekend is finally into Kviek temperature. 95F now, 100F tomorrow and 107F for Monday. I was going to pitch PUB tonight on a pseudo golden ale, but I am now considering the Voss Kviek...Good thing I checked in today! If I pitch Voss, it's prolly done by Monday and then spund it.

Also, just to overshare, I'm prolly going to start a beer cleanse on Monday for a week or three.
I WISH I had space to do another Kveik, the one I did last week is force carbing now and should be tappable later today. Hot as it's going to be today (I'm in east Kent/Maple Valley) and tomorrow, PERFECT Kveik brewing weather, I can't justify another batch when I still have two in the ferment fridge that need to be kegged soon. Darn it!! Oh well, July & August are coming...wonder if this is just a taster of what's to come this summer?

I made a simplified sparge arm to go with my new and improved all electric brewery. No the arm has nothing to do with electric nor does the new MT, but my old sparge set up does not work with the new equipment.

Attachments

• IMG_20210626_203653101.jpg
    IMG_20210626_203653101.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
Finally cleaned all the beer lines again, something I should be doing at least once a month but never get around to. Had one empty keg left that had a bad lid, swapped it for another lid off a keg that's missing a post and it's good to go, so will keg off the lager here shortly. And should be able to tap my Kveik Kolsch here in an hour or so, it's been on 30psi since this morning with many PRV pulls.

My Kviek sitting at about 95F garage has dropped from 1054 to 1030 since pitching about 1/4 dry Voss package at 10am this morning. It's my first time with Voss (I made a few tries with Opshaug that all were dumpers). I know everyone says that a Kviek is fast but this is just crazy. I bet I can spund it before tomorrow evening!

Nice choice as Seattle hit 104F today in the Seattle area (I'm on the Eastside in Bellevue), and forecast for the hottest temperature in recorded Seattle history of 107F tomorrow. 104F is the hottest since official records have been kept and the first time this area has broken 100F two days in a row. Whilst Seattle-ites start moaning anything over 80F, do keep in mind a lot of people don't have AC. While I grew up in the Sacramento valley, I think it's fair to start complaining about heat when it gets into triple digits.

Picked up my new sack of grain from the LHBS group order. I had ordered Simpsons Golden Promise, but someone made a mistake and I received Simpsons Best Pale Ale. I'm sure it'll be delicious, but I am a little bummed. At my speed, it's 4-5 months worth of mistake. Still a quality malt, it'll be great.

LHBS sent a message this morning. BSG is sending replacement bags of Golden Promise as ordered free of charge. No need to return the Best Pale Ale.

Guess it's time to invest in a couple 60lb Vittle Vaults.

On other fronts...

Had planned on brewing today, but this little guy decided he was cooked and blew the whistle two weeks early.

20210628_093811.jpg

i quoted this a while back with a snarky comment in mind, but then i get to the last post.....and i realize, i got a tough act to follow!

efficiency is at 76% which is one hell of an improvement on my usual 60-65%.

???? 60-65? i haven't gotten effec like that in 14-15 years! not since i learned how to sparge right!

And i just threw my almost 100% Victory batch, that i regreted adding ~2lbs of white flour too, in the fridge to cold crash for burst carbing tomorrow.

my co2 tank's HP gauge is at 500psi, and the tank is at 85f....so that's what i'll be doing for beer in a few days!

My Kviek sitting at about 95F garage has dropped from 1054 to 1030 since pitching about 1/4 dry Voss package at 10am this morning. It's my first time with Voss (I made a few tries with Opshaug that all were dumpers). I know everyone says that a Kviek is fast but this is just crazy. I bet I can spund it before tomorrow evening!

Nice choice as Seattle hit 104F today in the Seattle area (I'm on the Eastside in Bellevue), and forecast for the hottest temperature in recorded Seattle history of 107F tomorrow. 104F is the hottest since official records have been kept and the first time this area has broken 100F two days in a row. Whilst Seattle-ites start moaning anything over 80F, do keep in mind a lot of people don't have AC. While I grew up in the Sacramento valley, I think it's fair to start complaining about heat when it gets into triple digits.
It's 110 down here by Maple Valley, it is gross. I work in the Kent industrial area and we hit about 105 there according to my car's thermometer thingy. For the first time in a long time, I did NOT want to leave work today; excellent air conditioning, but....work.

reminds me of the good old days, when you could send the kid to the bar for some small beer for working!! (at least that's what i've heard)
Makes me miss my bartending days before really accurate security cameras....why yes, boss, this is just a coke I poured from the gun! (they didn't see the rum that was also poured from the liquor gun).

The Spousal Unit and I finally agreed it was time to upgrade the house to a modern AC/heat pump system this year, and I have to say I am loving it. Two autonomous systems, one north side the other south side, with per-room control so we only have to chill rooms we're using in a 3000 sq ft two story raised ranch. Went with Carrier from reputation. Installed in April and have been paying the electric bill with E-Star credits from our muni power company that should last until ~October. Four thumbs up! :D

The Spousal Unit and I finally agreed it was time to upgrade the house to a modern AC/heat pump system this year, and I have to say I am loving it. Two autonomous systems, one north side the other south side, with per-room control so we only have to chill rooms we're using in a 3000 sq ft two story raised ranch. Went with Carrier from reputation. Installed in April and have been paying the electric bill with E-Star credits from our muni power company that should last until ~October. Four thumbs up! :D
Our furnace crapped out on us in April, so since we're getting some money next month we're getting a new one with a separate electric A/C. We can't do a heat pump because our furnace is gas (at least I think that's why) so that's why the separate A/C. I am counting the days, believe me.

It's 110 down here by Maple Valley, it is gross. I work in the Kent industrial area and we hit about 105 there according to my car's thermometer thingy. For the first time in a long time, I did NOT want to leave work today; excellent air conditioning, but....work.
It's pretty hot whatever it is. Not sure the official temp. Heat pumps, in typical Seattle weather, don't work very well in these parts. At least when I looked at putting on in a decade ago.

Today, after a year of being one of maybe 10 people in a big ol' office building, had at least 50 folks in for the first time in 16 months.

Got caught up making pumpernickel bread and totally forgot to spund the Kviek today. Will do that tomorrow when it's likely at FG.

well i'm brewing another 100% Victory Malt brew....i was hoping maybe the scorced decoction was why the last one tasted burnt, but i'm not doing a decoction this round. and the mash has the same burnt smell....oh, well, it was a fun couple experiements! and either it's a huge steeping grain mash, or it will self convert...

either is possible....

Back