What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegged two, my WF lager and Citra/Sabro IPA. Brewing up an American Strong that will rack directly onto the yeast cake of the IPA, it's a big beer that needs a big yeast cake. Have only dark stuff on tap right now and getting damn tired of it, gonna force carb these two this afternoon and hope to tap later this evening.

Gelatin injection on my 3/14/21 Oktoberfest, 1.068 using W34/70.
9FEB8240-9A66-4C43-BF58-7541D3C71DF1.jpeg

pitched A24 into my wort yesterday at about 4pm after waiting a little while for all the trub to settle to minimize trub into the fermenter. Just had to switch over to blowoff lid from the modified ball lock lid because the ball lock was clogged and the fermonster was as tight as a damn drum. 3 beers in a row now needing to do this with A24 since I changed my process of waiting for kettle trub to settle before getting mostly clean wort into the fermenter. My fermentations are aggressive as hell with A24 now. Really thought that more trub made the fermentations more vigorous but my anecdotal experience says otherwise. The krausen is huge. Wondering if the trub into the fermenter is the explanation OR A24 blend has changed somewhat. 🤔

pitched A24 into my wort yesterday at about 4pm after waiting a little while for all the trub to settle to minimize trub into the fermenter. Just had to switch over to blowoff lid from the modified ball lock lid because the ball lock was clogged and the fermonster was as tight as a damn drum. 3 beers in a row now needing to do this with A24 since I changed my process of waiting for kettle trub to settle before getting mostly clean wort into the fermenter. My fermentations are aggressive as hell with A24 now. Really thought that more trub made the fermentations more vigorous but my anecdotal experience says otherwise. The krausen is huge. Wondering if the trub into the fermenter is the explanation OR A24 blend has changed somewhat. 🤔
Less trub more foam! You should get great head formation on this beer too!!

Less trub more foam! You should get great head formation on this beer too!!
Yes! My head retention HAS improved big time since Ive been getting less trub into the fermenter and more clean looking wort. I just thought my step mash routine was helping with that. I hadn't read this about less trub/better foam but I completely agree looking back at my previous two beers with A24. Its really vicious! And I do love the foam.

Yes! My head retention HAS improved big time since Ive been getting less trub into the fermenter and more clean looking wort. I just thought my step mash routine was helping with that. I hadn't read this about less trub/better foam but I completely agree looking back at my previous two beers with A24. Its really vicious! And I do love the foam.

I'm excited to read this. The beer that's fermenting now was transferred with a hop bag over the syphon as a filter. I did it as an attempt to reduce my kettle dead space, but if it secondarily fixes my lack of foam I'd be stoked!

Last edited:
Having some HB piwo grodziskie while chilling the wort down to pitch the yeast. I did a tropical Stout with Cascade bittering hops and 2 oz of zamba hops in whirlpool. I made a tincture with vanilla beans, cacao nibs, and rum to put into secondary. I also plan to toast a pound of coconut flakes too. We are having a fruited beer club competition for June.
PXL_20210522_230334560.jpg
PXL_20210522_213037568.jpg

Starting to brew my 12BOC-Crabapple Lambic. Doing it Wheat Wine-style, so I am heating the strike water right now and will mash in 20# of grain tonight. It will mash overnight ~12 hours or so, and then I'll finish it up tomorrow. I was worried that my wheat malt hadn't gone through the mill properly, but every piece I pulled out just broke apart into grits, so I guess the water and enzymes will be able to get in and do their thing. I have been stepping up my starter all week, and should be able to pitch at high krausen tomorrow.

Last night tapped the WF lager I kegged yesterday; was a bit worried about this one, yeast was 5th gen and the first taste out of the fermenter wasn't great, also I pushed this one fast; 7 days grain to glass. Crashing & carbonation took care of the slight offness, just a nice light crisp lager now. Yay something other than heavy dark beer on tap again!

Read I-don't-know-how-many pages of forum posts in preparation for my first forray into the world of kveik.
You will be amazed, trust me. I absolutely cannot wait until July when I can use it again, made the best IPA of my life with that and Citra/Sabro using Loki last summer. Threw some huge pineapple esters, fermented super clean, and since I used citra/sabro for the hops it only made it better. This summer I'm going to see what it does with Mosaic.

Kegged my first brut neipa (FG: a solid 1.000) and cleaned the carboys, then used my siphon tank to refill the 5# cylinder I use for transfers and carbonation.

Then took The Spousal Unit out for a sit-down dinner for the first time in 14 months and 17 days.
It was just like I remember it :)

Cheers!

Kegged up my latest NEIPA, this one with about 2/3 rakau and 1/3 mosaic for the hop bill, with more dry-hops than I usually do. Gravity sample was already quite tasty, can't wait until it's fully carbed! Also brewed up a schwarzbier, great efficiency, fingers crossed.

Checked the fermentation progress on Why Is The Beer Always Gone... and forgot to pull the airlock (DOH!). So the little yeasties DID get to taste the vodka... but it didn't pull the whole volume into the tank, so I guess I'm lucky.

Fermentation seems very slow or complete -- SG was 1.026, ABV 7.35, roughly 67% attenuation, which is 7 points lower than the specs call for (74 - 78%). Very little gas is bubbling out, and the tank is starting to clear from the top. The flavor is very clean, somewhat estery, with a solid hint of orange-citrus in the back of the throat. Maybe a whole ounce of orange peel was a bit too much...

Obviously, I'll check it again in 3 or 4 days. It'll be drinkable. And I'm sure it will age well.

Only thing I'm doing for beer this week is drinking it. Preparing for massive road trip vacation starting on Friday after work. Driving to Vegas (yes from Western Washington, we are batsh*t crazy), staying there for a few days to play and visit the husband's best friend, then taking a foray up into Idaho to visit inlaws and kids, then home through Montana with a stop to visit my uncle and aunt who recently relocated to Ennis. Eager to take the new-ish (last October) car on its first road trip, and getting the hell out of dodge and away from work for a while. Tomorrow need to bottle up a few to take with us, with four on tap it's going to be a hard decision to make which ones get to go. Lager for sure, Citra/Sabro IPA as well, and maybe a couple bottles of the hard root beer to see if anyone likes it (it's weird but I can't bring myself to dump it). Is it Friday yet?

Brewed my big ass stout today, hit all the good numbers including the 1.106 OG :rock:
But I was making tiny messes all friggin' day - which as this stuff is black as night makes it all the more evident I was a slob :)
It actually added up to real time lost - probably totalled a good half hour - and this beast takes long enough already!

stout9_27may2021.jpg

I'm pooped...and I need a beer...

Cheers! ;)

Brewed a really simple Blonde/Amber ale. Sitting in the shade watching the IC irrigate one corner of the front yard.View attachment 730419

YOU FARMERS ARE BRILLIANT! I’ve been catching my chiller out water for irrigation but never thought to also water the grass!!! I’m absolutely doing that this summer.

Dan

Only thing I'm doing for beer this week is drinking it. Preparing for massive road trip vacation starting on Friday after work. Driving to Vegas (yes from Western Washington, we are batsh*t crazy), staying there for a few days to play and visit the husband's best friend, then taking a foray up into Idaho to visit inlaws and kids, then home through Montana with a stop to visit my uncle and aunt who recently relocated to Ennis. Eager to take the new-ish (last October) car on its first road trip, and getting the hell out of dodge and away from work for a while. Tomorrow need to bottle up a few to take with us, with four on tap it's going to be a hard decision to make which ones get to go. Lager for sure, Citra/Sabro IPA as well, and maybe a couple bottles of the hard root beer to see if anyone likes it (it's weird but I can't bring myself to dump it). Is it Friday yet?

LOL Friday was yesterday, when you get back, i'm glad you got some time off!

I'm breaking in a dog food 50lb vittels vault with something more worth while for beer! :mug:

Opened a nip of English barleywine, first taste of batch #16 bottled six months ago in the last few hours of 2020.

Prepped water and grain for batch #29, tomorrow's AK.

#16 huh, just wait another 14 years. you'll be telling to get out of the basement! and then another 20 years, you'll wish it visted more often, ;)

(speaking of which, i feel like taking a smell of my 13 year old brandy on memorial day, getting ready for yearly snifter on the 4th! :mug:)

Latest posts

Back