What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the Mighty Orange HD, bought SWMBO a shelf to install above her sewing table. I also happened to maybe pick up some Reflectix to wrap the kettles now that I am using induction, I mean, it's environmentally friendly, right? Tasted the NZ PA I brewed for Big Brew, but it has an off flavor. Guess I have to wait for the yeast/lagering period to handle itself.

Moved the FW Wookie Jack clone to the kegerator to crash, since the yeast cake is over the spigot and it needs to compact down before I keg it. Should dry hop the Sabro/Citra IPA tonight but (being a girl) decided to do my nails instead. Yes, I work a full-time job, am a housewife, brew a lot, but I still like to have pretty nails (sorry no pic because can't find cord for phone but they are a very pretty hot pink). For those who may think I am superwoman let me dash your imaginations by stating that my house (other than the brewery) is a sh*tshow because I have better things to do than keep house. That's what husbands are for. I will get some laundry done because reasons but damn this homebrew is tasty.

but I still like to have pretty nails

hmmm, i've biting my nails a lot, trying to figure out if i want to add 8oz's of 60L to my store bought munich experiment....i've got till saturday to decide....

I have better things to do than keep house.

doing better then me, i don't have an excuse.....

White Labs WLP820 Oktoberfest/Marzen
starter
20210513_230023.jpg

Last edited:
The punted bottom of jugs and jars drove me crazy. Partially from always fiddling to get the right speed and position so it did not throw the stirrer and also the noise. Went to large opening beaker for a little peace of mind.

I made a starter of Wyeast 2042 Danish lager and made a few slants too. Been putting off canning more starter wort so I had to make fresh wort. Not sure what I will brew with it but I have a couple days to figure it out.

Making my first yeast starter for a batch of my smoked porter, using WL007-Dry English Ale. I am making 1 1/2L, so that I can pitch 1L and save 1/2L for next week.

A co-worker was finishing a work-related class on the Big Brew Day, so tomorrow's his introduction to home-brewing! Better late than never.

EDIT: Covered the HLT & BK with Reflectix. I am expecting tomorrow's brew day to be faster.
IMG_9957.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG

Last edited:
Finished brewing and cleaning up after making a Saison for the warmer weather. This was also my first time making a yeast starter. No clue why it took me so long to come around to since it's so simple.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to split the batch into 2 or leave as 1. I haven't used fruits yet and thought this might be a good time to try throwing in some blueberries.

I also need to finish off what's left of my prior batch which was a lightly hopped honey ale. It really came together with a couple extra weeks of aging.

Cleaned my new-to-me kegs during my lunch break. The previous owner was apparently a clean-before-you-keg kind of guy instead of a clean-after-it-kicks kind of guy. Either that, or he was storing vinegar in them. New O-rings should be here today, and then I'll keg and carb the American wheat beer that's in my fermenter.

Set up the brewery on the back lanai tonight for brew day tomorrow. Got my salts and ph all set and tomorrow morning when I wake I will turn on the electric element and have some coffee and breakfast. After that I will grind the grain and mash in when the temp is reached. Gonna be a great day!

John

I maybe had an epiphany. I like Guinness nitro cans. It's one of the few beers that I actually purchase occasionally (and I typically get a case or three from Costco around St Paddy's daythat lasts at least half a year ). My Guinness clones are ok and drinkable, but why try to clone Guinness when there is also Murphy's as well as Beamish? So, tonight trying my hand at Beamish to see how that turns out...

Husband decided he likes my lager, to the point that the keg I just tapped last week is ready to kick. Wasn't planning on brewing today, since we're going on vacation in 2 weeks, but I'm gonna want beer when I get home, so why not? Later I'll keg the Wookie Jack clone that's been crashing a few days so I can use the fermonster it's currently occupying. Gonna be a good day.

Prepping my barrels for a second use. Filled them with some boiling water to let them sit and seal well. I'll clean them out afterwards and add rum to one and bourbon to the other. One wanted to be extra leaky.
IMG_20210515_145944508.jpg
IMG_20210515_145950205.jpg
IMG_20210515_195027016.jpg

Last edited:
Had a buddy over to brew his first beer. We made my Ould Porter recipe. I smoked the dark malts on 1/1/21 for 3 hours with applewood chips and irish whiskey. Dried them in the oven and kept them on ice until today. Using my new-to-me setup, we learned more about the boil-off rate with my induction burners (just insulated the kettles with Reflectix), how much we lose to hose/pump transfers, or just stays in the plate chiller, and losses due to us making dumb-@$$ mistakes. Used my first ever yeast starter on this batch as well. Learned lots and it didn't take any more time than I expect-6 hours. It was a very good day.

2018 Honda fit sport. For a small car that gets good gas mileage it's fast. It has the sport mode where I can switch all six gears on the paddles. Which is fun!

Cool, I had a 2013 Fit Sport and it was such a great car.

On topic! Boiling a NEIPA, will use Idaho 7, Strata, and Citra this round. Can’t wait! Thanks @Dgallo for the hop suggestion in the NEIPA thread!

9C43B9D0-BB43-40AD-AAF5-3D50CC557499.jpeg

Bought a keezer on Craigslist for $800. Five faucets (3 Perlick), 20 lb CO2 tank (~half full), Johnson controller, and four kegs (uncleaned; currently sitting with PBW inside). I've never minded bottling too much, but I'm still excited to join the ranks of keggers! I have a wheat beer that's finished up and sitting in my fermenter. It will be going into a keg tomorrow!

View attachment 728953
great find man! how many kegs can ya fit on the floor (not hump?).

Hops went in the 15g mesh containers today (2 weeks later than planned).

(2) Cascade
(2) Cashmere
(2) Columbus (only 1 in now ran out of mesh pots)

View attachment 729278
haven't even thought about growing my own hops as of yet. This looks like a darn ropes challenge course for my two beagle pups to go chasing squirrels though! 😂 killer fireplace btw!

haven't even thought about growing my own hops as of yet. This looks like a darn ropes challenge course for my two beagle pups to go chasing squirrels though! 😂 killer fireplace btw!
My neighborhood is all big oaks, I’m pretty confident we have the worlds fattest squirrel population.. you doggos would have a field day! Lol. Thanks about the fire place, this summer the left side is being turned into a wood fired pizza/bread oven.

This will my first year growing them. Looking forward to doing two wet hop beer; IPA & Red.Going to be pretty cool to go from bine to being dropped in the wort in less than a minute lol

great find man! how many kegs can ya fit on the floor (not hump?).
It came with four pin-lock kegs. They all fit, plus the CO2 tank, and there's definitely room for one more keg. I'm keeping bottles on the hump for cold-conditioning, and I'm planning to buy one more keg to keep soda for the kids on that fifth tap.

Planning to brew my Tripel Black Pearl Ale (All Grain BIAB edition) this Friday, I went out to check my DME supply for the starter... good thing I did, since I only have about 1/4 cup at the bottom of the bag. A quick run to Brewtensils for a 3lb bag of light DME and I can start my Wyeast 3787 starter tomorrow.

Planning to brew my Tripel Black Pearl Ale (All Grain BIAB edition) this Friday, I went out to check my DME supply for the starter... good thing I did, since I only have about 1/4 cup at the bottom of the bag. A quick run to Brewtensils for a 3lb bag of light DME and I can start my Wyeast 3787 starter tomorrow.
If you use a lot of DME, I'd talk to the LHBS folks to do you a deal on 50 pounds of Briess' finest. It's a sticky hour to scoop all of that into ziplock bags or other plastic jars, but it is hella cheaper than buying a 3# bag at a time. I get a 50# bag about once a year for the odd DME batch, fixing an OG undershoot, yeast starters, etc. Takes me about a year to get thru one big bag.

Kegged my first all-grain BIAB, a Dry Irish Stout 5 gallon kit from Northern Brewer. O.G. 1.042 spot-on as predicted per kit, but F.G. 1.015 a tad bit high. Mashed at 153F for 60 min. Was hoping for F.G. 1.011 using Safale S-04 yeast @68F ambient conditions. Sample (ABV ~ 3.54%) tasted excellent though.

If you use a lot of DME, I'd talk to the LHBS folks to do you a deal on 50 pounds of Briess' finest. It's a sticky hour to scoop all of that into ziplock bags or other plastic jars, but it is hella cheaper than buying a 3# bag at a time. I get a 50# bag about once a year for the odd DME batch, fixing an OG undershoot, yeast starters, etc. Takes me about a year to get thru one big bag.
I don't, really -- just 100 grams to make starters and about 1 1/4 cups for priming 5 gal batches at a time.

If I had unlimited air conditioned storage space, yeah, that's the way to go to save $$$.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, got my starter of Wyeast 3787 going in the flask on the stir plate. Should be ready to pitch Friday afternoon.

ETA: OK, it's Friday. Got the boiler out back, with my water, the BIAB bag, all the gear I'll need during the mash/boil and my tunes all set. I'm about to disassemble the fermenter spigot and sanitize it, then sanitize the whole fermenter.

All I need now is the Assistent Braufraulein to join me and we can grind the 16.5 lbs of grain we'll be mashing. I'll start heating the water when she's available.

With any luck, we'll be done by 1600 local.

ETA: It was 1730 local when we finished up. I hit my predicted OG of 1.080, so I expect ol' 3787 will chew that right down to 1.011. I've got a lot of trub in the fermenter, tho'... I wonder if that's because my strike water was a couple of degrees high -- because it was so warm outside, the mash in didn't lower the water as far as I expected.

Anyway, it smells good and tastes exceptionally sweet, so the yeasties have lots of sugars to play with!

ETA: realized just after midnite that I hadn't installed a blow-off tube, despite warning others about 3787 in another thread. So I fixed that oversight and I'm glad I did, 'cause I've got a hot yeast storm going on in the fermenter this morning.

Last edited:
Back