What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sample from my Helles with lutra kveik.
IMG_20210116_211245722.jpg

Last night very gently felt the husband out on buying a wine kit....got the forceful "you already have too much equipment/brew stuff!!" argument so dropped it for the moment. Even the promise of trying to make moscato (the only wine style he likes) didn't sway him. So now I have to figure out how to either 1) do it on the cheap so he doesn't notice, or 2) go ahead and get the kit and deal with the storm later. All I really need is a 1g fermenter, and the ingredients; not ready to do three gallons of wine which is the smallest fermenter (barring growlers) that I own. I can make a stellar apfelwein from Edwort's recipe here, but I want to try making the real thing. Saturday I'll email my LHBS and see what she can do for me. Oh, you want a new golf club, sweetie? Let's deal.

British or Belgian golden ale?
I’m calling it American. 50% 2 row, 50% Pilsner, Magnum and Willamette hops to about 25 IBU, Nottingham yeast. I just got a wild hair to brew a very light, low gravity, top fermented beer. Purists might call it a Blonde. Using Beersmith, this recipe fits the style guidelines for either British Golden or Blonde Ale.

I’m calling it American. 50% 2 row, 50% Pilsner, Magnum and Willamette hops to about 25 IBU, Nottingham yeast. I just got a wild hair to brew a very light, low gravity, top fermented beer. Purists might call it a Blonde. Using Beersmith, this recipe fits the style guidelines for either British Golden or Blonde Ale.

Sounds like it should be good. I used to use Willamette as a 60min addition for a wheat beer I would brew for my wife. It always smelled good in kettle that I thought I should use it in a different beer later in the boil but never did.

The two style overlap a bit, I brew quite a few beer in that range. More of a british type grain bill(all base malt) but American type hop a bit more bitter and prominent than a blonde. Started as a way to check different hops, but then it sort of stuck as a easy beer to brew and drink.

Brewed ~9 gallons of the London Porter Clone, and then split into a 4 batch yeast off:
Pub
WLP085
S-04 aka Whitbread Dry and
WLP017 Whitbread liquid strain

I'm trying to reduce my yeast library down to the strains I really like. I favored WLP085 (WLP002 and either WLP006 or WLP007) but perhaps because I wanted to try it forever and was able to pick it up when I did a drive by of White Labs a couple years ago.

I had a mild batch split between S-04 and WLP085 that had been bottle conditioned for a few months. S-04 had a more mineral taste and I picked up on chocolate notes that were missing from the 085. Go figure.

I have been doing simple ordinary bitters for my yeast offs. But after having tried the mild split, this time I decided to go for the London Porter. Hops I've pretty much narrowed to Tettnang, N Brewer, EKG, First Gold, Fuggles

Like I wrote above, been trying to cull my yeast library, but for my first Steinbart order, I grabbed WLP006. Le sigh. Also got ingredients for a simple Munich/Vienna czech hack lager.

Attachments

• 1611037013348.png
    1611037013348.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 1611037054496.png
    1611037054496.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 7
Almost done with the sach rest. Mash started out a bit hinky with lots of oats and wheat threatening to gum things up but eventually got it tamed and it's been smooth sailing since.

Onwards!

20210119_114840.jpg

[edit] Missed my OG by two points, but hit the volume to the carboys on the nose, so I'm ok with it - it's still an 1.082 neipa :)

Took almost an hour longer than usual between heating up strike and sparge water and then heating up the boil - because I didn't set my tank regulator properly and was starving the burners for gas. Halfway through the boil I finally figured it out. First time I've done that :)

Otherwise it will be beer!

Last edited:
Here's one that belongs in three threads; here, Don't Do That, and What Came in the Mail for You Today. Bit of backstory, work recently changed my hours so I start at 6; I still get up at 4am so in the mornings I have some time to sit and enjoy coffee, read emails, and check on the ferment fridge. This morning when I checked, found that somehow the wire for the temperature controller probe had got stuck/melted to the heat lamp. It's fried, literally. Quick check on Amazon found the replacement, which is currently 5 stops away. Paid the extra $2.99 to get it here today. Stout already dropped its krausen before disaster hit, and the WF (not anymore) lager is only down to 58 per the fermometer, so not a huge catastrophe, but it still sucks. Next trip to the store will get some of those stick-on plastic hook thingies to keep it out of harm's way.

Almost done with the sach rest. Mash started out a bit hinky with lots of oats and wheat threatening to gum things up but eventually got it tamed and it's been smooth sailing since.

Onwards!

View attachment 715086

[edit] Missed my OG by two points, but hit the volume to the carboys on the nose, so I'm ok with it - it's still an 1.082 neipa :)

Took almost an hour longer than usual between heating up strike and sparge water and then heating up the boil - because I didn't set my tank regulator properly and was starving the burners for gas. Halfway through the boil I finally figured it out. First time I've done that :)

Otherwise it will be beer!
Is that your fresh air source running down the middle?

Started cold crashing my spitfire clone and cleaned out a keg and line after kicking my spruce tip ipa. That means I currently have two of four taps empty! Plan to make a peanutbutter marshmallow imperial stout this weekend to replace the ipa. Here’s a pic of my ghetto cleaning setup to not waste any co2.
8B43346E-C090-476E-A90A-C25EBCF1FC81.jpeg

I tasted my first all grain brew. Lady Liberty, a Sierra Nevada American pale ale clone from Palmer, How to Brew. Not bad. I'm kind of pleased. I might have gotten lucky on this one. I'm still struggling to understand water chemistry in general and more specifically alkalinity and sparge acidification. I bottled a cream ale the other day which tasted a little astringent at bottling. I'm guessing this is the result of not controlling for alkalinity of the sparge water.

Attachments

• 20210120_161500.jpg
    20210120_161500.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Soaked/scraped labels off of 24x12oz bottles that have been hibernating in the garage for just over a year or so... 48 more to go. It's good to have in-laws who will save bottles for you when you ask them to!

Oh, and almost forgot -- exchanged a propane tank that died in the middle of my last brew... fortunately, at the very moment we shut off the flame to add the LME! How's that for timing? Fortunately, I keep a spare tank on hand for just such an occasion.

Last edited:
I purposely didn't add ice to my swamp cooler because I saw no krausen after 48 hours. I think I might have under pitched so I want to get the temp up and wake up the yeast. No napping on the job!! Lol

Now I have high krausen! The little suckers are rocking the wort, throwing gas upward and outward...

Yesterday: Blew the crap off my red rye at night IPA and had a couple pints. Thanks @JAReeves for sharing the recipe, I really am enjoying this beer. The chinook and rye worked very well together, not over powering hop aroma and flavor but enough to keep it interesting.

Today: Brewed a Cali Cream Ale, but will actual ferment it as a lager. I am using Great Western California Select malt, homegrown cascade hops and a combination of glass corn and over ripe sweet corn I allowed dry on the stalk. It is only a 3gal batch, 5lb of malt, 1lb of corn and 1oz of hops. Should of used California lager yeast but it is whitelabs 835 Lager X.
IMG_2525 - Copy.JPG

This is during the cereal mash, you can see a slight purple color to the liquid from the glass corn.
IMG_2526 - Copy.JPG

Finished product, quite pale in the hydro tube but a nice golden color in the glass.
IMG_2527 - Copy.JPG

Back