What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5.25 gallons in the Catalyst fermenter.
irish red.jpg

Kicked four kegs last night/wicked early this morning - hit the rack at 3 AM after updating The Spousal Unit's PC from W7P to W10P (so many updates - for some reason it started with the original Windows 10 kit then proceeded to apply seemingly every half-annum update to finally get it to October's 20H2 release. Sheesh!)

So today I had to load four freshies and clean the kickees - while doing a full system backup of Her machine...

Cheers!

Other than drinking a few pints of my latest WF lager, sadly ignoring the one in the ferment fridge that is ready to be kegged; not to mention the empty one in there from last kegging session that I just haven't cleaned yet. Yes, very very turrible of me but it's sealed, not getting hurt, just will be a bit sticky to clean when I do get around to it. Building a huge fire in the woodstove and relaxing is more important at the moment. Oh, and drinking, as aforesaid.

Bottled and kegged 10 gal batch of AHS Texas Red. ABV came in a bit higher @ 6.2 instead of 5.6. Was very smooth and balanced. Ukegs should be ready by this weekend.View attachment 714240
Do you prime beer in the mancan like bottled beer or does it get charged with external CO2?

I have some kegland mini kegs that I have had some issues with oxidation, have you had similar issues with your mancan?

Bottling my Another New Year (ANY) APA, dredging the yeast cake for a marzen that we're brewing tomorrow... so I've got to sanitize bottles, tubing, filling wand, bottling bucket, spigots, gaskets, spoons, mason jars, etc.

Then clean and prepare the fermenter for tomorrow's festivities.

ETA: yes, I know this sounds like an ad for kegging your brew...

ETAA: happy to report I got 12x22oz and 26x12oz bottles of brew out of it, along with about 1.5 liters of yeast cake/slurry from the bottom of the fermenter (see the other thread looking for advice).

Last edited:
Do you prime beer in the mancan like bottled beer or does it get charged with external CO2?

I have some kegland mini kegs that I have had some issues with oxidation, have you had similar issues with your mancan?

It's charged with external CO2 cartridge,
20210114_180036.jpg
to date I haven't had any oxidation issues with the mancan.

It's charged with external CO2 cartridge, View attachment 714384to date I haven't had any oxidation issues with the mancan.
Thanks for the reply. I suspect there might be an issue with the o-ring that seals the top. Looks your top snugs up before you get metal to metal, which does not happen with my kegland setup.

After building tonight's house-heating inferno, finally moved the Cascade APA I brewed a few weeks ago to the top shelf of the ferment fridge so I can keg it later tonight. Just need to rinse out and sanitize the already-chilled empty in the kegerator, sanitize lid and transfer hose, and good to go. Butt doesn't seem to want to get out of the comfy chair though...

After building tonight's house-heating inferno,

todays high was 71f, had to strip down to my pj bottoms.....and i ate a sandwich with ham and cheese, but the bread was made out of split peas, and you may ask "what does that have to do with beer?" it keeps my liver from exploding!

Tried out a new standard CO2 regulator on my office keg. I could never get the small regulators to quit leaking! This one is great, the big 74 gram CO2 canister holds right at 900 lbs for a week, no leakage. Dialed right up to 10 lbs like my big CO2 tank and regulator and holds it there!
IMG_2167.JPG

Got the "Munich In Tents" brewed up -- in the garage again, owing to forecast rain/snow.
Steam brew.jpg

It's really hard to see what's going on with such huge temperature differences.

Anyway, OG 1.057, and the sample was malty sweet with slight hops bitter finish. Should ferment out nice and malty. We'll see how the 2112 feels after spending the night in the garage. Prosit!

Tried out a new standard CO2 regulator on my office keg. I could never get the small regulators to quit leaking! This one is great, the big 74 gram CO2 canister holds right at 900 lbs for a week, no leakage. Dialed right up to 10 lbs like my big CO2 tank and regulator and holds it there!View attachment 714435
I think I saw that on an episode of Mission: Impossible...

Rearranged my brew space to provide a little more storage, a little more room for storing and milling grain, and a place to sit while waiting for the timer to count down on brew days.
View attachment 714577
View attachment 714578

I do like the beer items on the wall. Reminds me of when folks collected QSL cards from radio stations and put the cards on the wall.

Rearranged my brew space to provide a little more storage, a little more room for storing and milling grain, and a place to sit while waiting for the timer to count down on brew days.
View attachment 714577
View attachment 714578
I see the remotes, where's the bigscreen tv? You aren't going to cover up that beautiful 6-pack carrier wall, are you? Looks fantastic by the way.

Built a recipe for a porter/stout, then without thinking about it anymore milled the grain and got set up for what should be a pretty good brewday tomorrow. Just need to move a few more things around in the garage to give me more space. Tonight sipping on some homebrew and enjoying the fact that it's Friday, after a long long long week.

We may still have a TV like that too somewhere I think. Started with two but one did not take the second fall from the dresser well.

I have to admit it was the fridge that stuck in my mind not the TV, don't think I ever seen one that color before.

I have to admit it was the fridge that stuck in my mind not the TV, don't think I ever seen one that color before.

According to the serial # that fridge was built in 1959. In the late ‘50s Chevy had a color that was called “Surf Green”, although I always thought it looked like Turquoise. That color is an almost exact match for the color of the fridge.

My first car was a ‘59 Chevy which I bought in 1967 for $375. I’d love to find a decent project car today but even rotted out basket cases are selling for about 10X what I paid for mine.

Had just about the smoothest brewday ever this morning; everything went right, even down to hitting my mash temp right on the nose. 5.5 hours start to finish, with everything clean and put away. What was going to be a slightly stronger stout turned into an Imperial with SG at 1.081. Love days like this.

Prepped for my latest SMaSH, Maris Otter and Comet. Not sure what day I will brew-depends on my sister.

She is Ca Nat’l Guard and being shipped to DC for inauguration protection. Waiting to see when I can drop a care package off for her company before they fly out. I don’t think I can give them homebrew, but I do have to go get some diet Dr. Pepper for them. It’s the little things, you know?

Got on the scoreboard for 2021 with 5gal of Anchor Steam clone brewed, kegged 5gal of fizzy yellow swill, and measured out the grist for my first CAP of 2021: The Great 2020 CAP Bender begins its second year at dawn.

I also went full OCD with my vacuum packer and parceled out a series of 1 and 2oz acid malt charges and several 4oz Melanoidin malt charges.

Last edited:
I did my first brew day yesterday, a whooping 2gal batch Ordinary Bitter that I split 3 ways to test wlp030(thames Valley Ale), wlp033(Klassic Ale) and WY3655(Belgian Schelde Ale).

Today watched all 3 bubbling a way a few time. Looked back at old recipes to find a recipe for a bigger dark beer, thinking either a RIS or Dunkles Bock. Have been seeing Baltic Porters showing up lately so did some looking into those recipes as it a style I have thought about brewing but never have.

Latest posts

Back