What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished brewing Brittish Golden ale
20200801_161553.jpg
20200801_162231.jpg
20200801_163132.jpg

Started the diacetyl rest on the marzen. Also kicked the DIPA, so the IPL was tapped after I cleaned the line.
Original plan was to brew tomorrow, but I just have too much beer right now, so I guess it's next week.

Kegged all this today, 10 gallons of an Irish red, 10 gallons of a lemon lime wit, 5 gallons of skeeter pee and 3 gallons of hard cider. There is also 10 gallons of an all citra IIPA in the other keg and 5 gallons in the keezer

Attachments

• 2E85E78F-A9EF-49BD-94E0-BC78238E3EE0.jpeg
    2E85E78F-A9EF-49BD-94E0-BC78238E3EE0.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
Did you use Voss for your yeast and if so how did it come out?
Nope, US-05. This is, essentially, a HB light beer. 85% Pale Ale, 12% White Wheat, 3% Carapils, Magnum and Cascade to about 25 IBU, finished at 3.9 ABV. The keg sample tasted like light beer with a little actual flavor.

Built my first recipe for an Ipa does this look good?View attachment 692511
Way too much crystal malt; I would say 1lb in an IPA is the max; some would say even less. Needs more 2-row, less Munich (I do like it in the grist though), and if it was me, less flaked oats. Also, celeia is a very mild hop and besides not being really ideal for IPA's, will get lost with the other heavy hitters.

Way too much crystal malt; I would say 1lb in an IPA is the max; some would say even less. Needs more 2-row, less Munich (I do like it in the grist though), and if it was me, less flaked oats. Also, celeia is a very mild hop and besides not being really ideal for IPA's, will get lost with the other heavy hitters.
Thanks for the input. I will make some adjustments

Sitting through an all-day Zoom conference on online education for when school starts in a week. But I'm drinking beer while learning, so there's that.

I'd rather be taking all of the bottles in the keezer with yeast dregs and making up cultures for future brews. This would allow me to drop my blonde ale into the keezer for the cold crash and CO2 as well.

Kegged my fruited sour with blueberries, vanilla beans, and cacao nibs. Made a starter with imperial julius for my once a year crazy IPA with 15oz mixture of pellet and cone hops.

Attachments

• 20200805_182726.jpg
    20200805_182726.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
Yesterday
Kegged 10g experimental cream ale, just 2row and Aldi brand corn flake cereal. 1050-1001, US-05. Higher than expected og and lower than expected fg.
Also kegged 5 g piwo Amerkanski. Home maple smoked red wheat malt. 1028-1003, US-05.

Kegged my fruited sour with blueberries, vanilla beans, and cacao nibs. Made a starter with imperial julius for my once a year crazy IPA with 15oz mixture of pellet and cone hops.
😳😖😖😖 I don't understand how you guys..and gals..can stomach all that bitterness!!! I start feeling like I'm drinking cyanide when IBUs go over 30!!

😳😖😖😖 I don't understand how you guys..and gals..can stomach all that bitterness!!! I start feeling like I'm drinking cyanide when IBUs go over 30!!
Lmfao. Mostly whirlpool and dry hop, but still around 60 IBU. Perceived bitterness is lower though because of only 1.5oz of boil hops haha. I can understand your point though, I've had some that was ridiculous.

Before work today, I managed to brew up a gallon of 1.040 wort for dregs. Waiting to see proof of life from: Allagash, Stone, Petrus, Westphale, DuPont, and Trader Joe’s Belgians.

Kegged the Black is Beautiful stout.

Tapped the Red Rye keg out by filling up a growler for a co-worker for his weekend.

Put the keg of Centennial Blonde into the keezer.

Today was week 3 of the Mexican lager for the neighbors. Dropped temp down yesterday to 36, added gelatin finnings till next Monday then will transfer to secondary, do a D rest till Thursday then bottle carb for 7-10 days. Then back into the fridge a couple of weeks for further lagering. Also the Brittish Golden is coming along nicely.

I made a mid-mash change of mind for beer today.

The plan was to make a cream ale with Nottingham, a yeast I haven't used in a very, very long time. I was also kegging a Czech lager, so with all that nice slurry ready to go, it made sense to switch gears to a domestic adjunct lager. Fortunately, my cream ale grist is nothing more than a cut-and-paste of my mid-sized domestic adjunct lager, so it was a piece of cake--just change up the hops.

It's been 25 years, Nottingham. You can wait a while longer.

Bottled 51 bottles of my Scottish 70/- which is now a Scottish 80/- and pitched a starter of WY 1099 into my English Brown(ish).

I'm jealous!

It'll be another two months before UK beer season starts for me. I'm really looking forward to some browns and porters. Yum.

Fifty-one bottles....hmmm. How's the arm feeling?

I'm jealous!

It'll be another two months before UK beer season starts for me. I'm really looking forward to some browns and porters. Yum.

Fifty-one bottles....hmmm. How's the arm feeling?

I can't wait two more months to start my dark beers, I'm ready for fall NOW! The cranking down on the caps gets a little old after a while but the worst part is watching the bottles fill up. I eventually get lax and have a sticky overflow. I'm too cheap to invest in kegging so bottling it is for me. The 10G batches will be REALLY fun to cap lol.

Put the new Anvil fermenter to use yesterday with a NEIPA that will be generously dry hopped with Citra and Mosaic.

Today has been even better. My gf surprised me with a trip to a local hop farm. I loaded up on fresh Cascade and Chinook. We hand picked them right from the bine. Brewing an IPA as we speak that will soon be continually hopped with Cascade in about 25 minutes.

I may bottle an apple cinnamon hard cider a little earlier than planned. Wouldn't mind freeing up a fermenter for another new batch to use the rest of the Cascade and Chinook while they're fresh. Originally planned to let it ferment a few weeks before secondary with fresh blueberries. Might cut out the secondary.
IMG_20200809_123120.jpg
IMG_20200809_115248.jpg

Yeast and bacteria cultures are showing signs of life!
Far left: a buckwheat & chili saison that now also includes several random bacterial cultures
Mid left: Mostly Ommegang Sour dregs, but now with some Petrus and Stone cultures
Mid right: Saison yeasts from Allagash and Dupont
Far right: Belgian yeasts from Allagash, Westphal (?), and Trader Joe's.
IMG_8135.JPG

Back