What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Discovered that the Ball-Lock Connector on the tap to my stout was leaking. I lost a few #'s of CO2 and had to clean some stout off the floor of the Keezer, but the world apparently seems to have righted itself after replacement and it can continue aging without worry. One more reason 2020 is on my S**t List.

20200825_014302.jpg

Got my BIAB false bottom from Brew Hardware. Fits my Spike 20 gallon kettle really well and clears the heating element just fine. I like that the legs are made from threaded bolts so I can adjust the height easily if I see a need.

I'm hoping to possibly find a way to secure a hop spider to this thing so I can run my system with the lid on. (My default idea is to use magnets.)

20200826_003957.jpg

I'm nearing completion of my eBIAB system in my cellar/basement/crawlspace and finally finished hooking up my water. Had a leaky coupler and didn't have an extra so I swapped it with a ball valve (upper left) that doesn't serve a purpose, but oh well, I have water now! Running electric next week and should be good to start doing a couple test runs.

Last edited:
Yesterday brewed up my gruit-inspired imperial oatmeal stout; the craziest recipe that I still brew semi-regularly. A bit worried about the yeast, as the starter wasn't as active as I would have liked, and the lag time for the first signs of fermentation is by far the longest I've had to wait in a loooong time.

Dropped the temperature in the ferment fridge to 48 to start the House WF lager crashing; this one was no-chill, so it didn't get the usual late additions of mittelfruh & hallertau blanc, so I dropped them earlier this week as dry hop. Never dry hopped a lager before, eager to see how it turned out; smells great. Finally bought some aquarium glass to use as weights instead of the SS nuts I usually use, can't believe I didn't do that sooner; hop bag dropped to the bottom like a stone. Three bags was less than $10. Tomorrow will move it into the kegerator to finish crashing, so the ferment fridge is free on Saturday for a planned Citra/Sabro IPA.

Discovered that the Ball-Lock Connector on the tap to my stout was leaking. I lost a few #'s of CO2 and had to clean some stout off the floor of the Keezer, but the world apparently seems to have righted itself after replacement and it can continue aging without worry. One more reason 2020 is on my S**t List.
😒 bummer

Brewed up the Citra/Sabro this morning, which is merrily bubbling away this afternoon. Kegged the lager that had been dry hopping for a week, bit worried about it since the taster was a bit nasty from autolysed yeast; hoping it drops out. Trashed the yeast, which is a bit sad since it was the only lager yeast I had...darn it, now have to go get more. Sipping on a Mosaic SmAsh that is truly delicious to make me feel better.

Installed all my localized electric for my eBIAB. Everything from the subpanel on in other words. Put plugs on my power cables and plugged them in. Just need to put the 60 amp GFCI breaker in the main panel and run the big 6 gauge wire to the basement and I'm done!

Oh, also put in an order with Cuss Brewing for a custom immersion chiller for my setup. He's setting it up so it hangs off the rim of the kettle, with the coils hopefully juuust sitting over the heating element and probe.

Kegged my latest NEIPA yesterday. Not a style I do a lot, so fingers crossed.
Edit: how could I forget, I also helped pick some cascade and cashmere hops for a small, local hop provider.

Last edited:
Keg of Helles kicked. Went to clean it and seemed like it had couple bottles of beer left. Transferred it to 3 gallon fermenter and what do you know! 6 bottles of Helles! It was a good Keg cleaning day! Only bummer was for whatever reason, keg cleaning kit attachment won't fit on my taps 😒. Had to do it the hard way by improvising an extra beer tap line.
15990735630749063312309161854861.jpg

Just bottled my scottish heavy and now have no brews in progress! will have to rectify that this weekend. I experimented with some peat smoked malt on this one and happy with how it tastes so far. It's noticeable but not dominating. Now to see if I can be patient enough to let this one age a month or two before I start dipping into bottles!

Ordered two pounds of hops. Idaho 7 and Comet. Should be here next week.
YVH accidentally threw in a 2oz bag of Idaho 7 in my order this past week. It had never been on my radar, but Im planning on tossing it into a really simple, 1G, and possibly even extract batch to sample it. How is it?

4G of a Calista pils in the fermenter today. MIL dropped off a case of empty bottles, so cleaned and delabeled those as I was mashing. Turned a few more brew/beer stickers into magnets for my fridge, as well.

YVH accidentally threw in a 2oz bag of Idaho 7 in my order this past week. It had never been on my radar, but Im planning on tossing it into a really simple, 1G, and possibly even extract batch to sample it. How is it?

4G of a Calista pils in the fermenter today. MIL dropped off a case of empty bottles, so cleaned and delabeled those as I was mashing. Turned a few more brew/beer stickers into magnets for my fridge, as well.
I haven’t brewed with either hop before but I’ve enjoyed Idaho 7 as a SMaSH beer someone in our club brewed a while back. So it’s always been on my radar for quite sometime.

I haven’t brewed with either hop before but I’ve enjoyed Idaho 7 as a SMaSH beer someone in our club brewed a while back. So it’s always been on my radar for quite sometime.
Yeah, im torn between a quick brew on Tuesday morning before I go into work that evening, or waiting for a future date and blowing the recipe up to 3G. I think Ill be happier with a gallon in a few weeks than a case at who the hell know when.

I can't stand de labeling! Or sanitizing bottles for that matter! I did that for years and years! I still use a few bots now and then but happy I was finally blessed with a kegerator. But now....i freaking hate cleaning kegs and lines!! Can't win for losing 😂😂😁

Yeah, im torn between a quick brew on Tuesday morning before I go into work that evening, or waiting for a future date and blowing the recipe up to 3G. I think Ill be happier with a gallon in a few weeks than a case at who the hell know when.
Wait for the 3 gallon! The Brew God's will bless you...and your thirst for more brew!

I can't stand de labeling! Or sanitizing bottles for that matter! I did that for years and years! I still use a few bots now and then but happy I was finally blessed with a kegerator. But now....i freaking hate cleaning kegs and lines!! Can't win for losing 😂😂😁
Luckily the flagship beer in this town is in pop top bottles and the labels damn near fall off in a short PBW soak. Its fantastic. Case of bottles maybe takes me 15 minutes.

Wait for the 3 gallon! The Brew God's will bless you...and your thirst for more brew!
Right?! Too many times I've made a small batch and kicked myself for only having 8 bottles. Then I feel guilty when I don't share those particular beers, as well. Huff...

Kegged off the Citra/Sabro this morning, bit earlier than intended but was necessary. The ferment fridge is currently being used as the house fridge, since that decided to take a dump on us this morning. It's an easy fix but the part has to come from Amazon and won't be here til tomorrow (compressor starter capacitor went bad). And finally got the co2 regulator fixed with a lot of thread tape; had leaks at one of the gauges and the bottom connection, also the nut where it connects to the tank. Arrrgh. Stupid cheap regulator.

Back