What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the LHBS, bought some specialty grains, some yeast, and shot the s**t with the guy workin.

I stared at the airlock and watched it bubble whilst daydreaming about the future of the contents of the fermenter.

Finished installing the foam in the "keg section" of the new fermentation chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Today beer gets a full 8 hours of work. This morning I I cut the holes in my project boxes that will become my STC temp controllers. After that I headed to my HBS and grabbed two ball valve/cooler conversion kits and a weldless kettle ball valve kit. Later today, I'm gonna install said cooler conversion kits and drill my pot for the weldless kit. After that, it'll be on to stripping some toilet connectors for a manifold for each cooler. Maybe wash some bottles somewhere in there too.

I racked my New Albion Ale to secondary & dry hopped w/ 1oz of Cascade whole leaf hops, cleaned the carboys etc., then moved my Sylva Bullet IPA to
My lagering chamber to cold crash.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Today I got the details worked out in my kegerator so I can fit 3 corny kegs and the 10# co2 cylinder in there. I have pin locks and ball lock kegs so I have worked out interchangeable parts. My tower only has two taps so I have a Perlick jury- rigged inside the door to tap the third beer. It seems to work OK.

On tap- robust chocolate porter

Kegged and carbonating- a hoppy pale ale

Fermenters- "Tuesday's Ruby," an Irish red with a bit of extra hops

Pics? Fairly new to kegging myself. Love it!

New to this thread..posting pic of 1 month old kegorator. Have 4 kegs with beer, just need one more faucet. Kegged is an American Red, Hoppy Red, Simcoe IPA, and TIPA based on Pliny. Awating a tap is a sweet stout and heady topper clone in about 2 weeks. Bottled a hard cherry limeaid (7.5%) yesterday for the kiddos..not my thing but they like it.

1412979995915.jpg

Dry hopped my Vag-tastic Voyage (RIS) and my Janet's Imperial Brown tonight. Lil taste of each and omg.....I think could be two of the best beers I have done to date!

Ordered 8 pounds of hop from hops direct! Finally got the 2014 crop in (leaf).
2# Cascade
2# Centennial
2# Chinook
1# Amarillo
1# Citra

(Coming soon on the, "What came in the mail today" thread)

Kegged sweet stout. Used liquid yeast, English 002, and sure appears to make a big difference in flavor. Think i know what "fruity esters" mean now.

I replace the exhaust filter above my stove and it made a huge difference in the chocking hop smell usually associated with me brewing an IPA.

Started today out with a brew day brewing a buffalo sweat clone with pumpkin and spices turned out amazing missed OG by three points in not fretting tho instead of 1.061 I hit 1.058, sample tasted amazing

Started the day out with a glass of cappachino stout from lagunitas
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413152959.085828.jpg

Sample
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413153010.288771.jpg
I love the Orange hue on the edges from the pumpkin in the boil

Kegged my favorite oatmeal stout while being totally distracted by the 4th qtr of the Packers/Dolphins game.

Aside from brewing cleaned out and sanitized the kicked kegs. Now they're perfectly ready for accepting a new batch as soon as there's one ready.

I won 4 oz of hops of my choice from the LHBS at my homebrew club meeting. Too bad they don't have a very good selection. But hey, I spent $10 and got that AND Stone's 18th Anniversary IPA :rockin:

Bottled up my 10 gal split batch of pumpkin ale. The s05 batch went into bottles for holiday gifts to the family. And the other batch I fermented with danstar belle saison, that went in the kegerator for myself :)

Finally shared a beer I made with some noob friends this summer with those friends. It was an all-grain, Northern Brewer Kama Citra Session IPA, and it came out very well. I hope they'll be interested to try again!

Made a dry stout, used some of the extra wort in my chicken tinga, drank a lot of dunkelweizen, and taught a friend a few beer things

Currently running an inaugural 10g batch on the electric setup. Succeeded with a 7g yesterday and 5g the day before. Will run an auto-tune again to have those numbers handy and different batch size capabilities at the click of a few buttons. Good times.

Took advantage of Northern Brewer's order three kits special...saved $21 and will have three extract kits ready to brew!

Ordered:
Nut Brown Ale
Smash American Session Ale
Irish Red Ale (done this one once already)

Scrap that autotune 2 posts ago. Thought that I could do it while heating from post-sparge along the way to boil. Not so much. Autotune was bringing it so high I started to see hot break. Wasn't expecting that since I set the autotune at strike water temp. Made the executive decision to abandon the tuning in favour of not having giant boil over, followed by reaching maximum thermal value and having controller go haywire because firing at 100% isn't raising it anymore.

I suppose it will have to be another time.

Bought ingredients for a saison and a Baltic Porter. Finishing up the partial sour mash for the saison now.

Not necessarily all today...but over the past few days have been brewing up apple cider like crazy...

From left to right: cyser, graff, and cider. In the foreground in front of the blow off jug is a gallon of cider that I am planning on pitching with the dregs of an accidental wild cider I had brewed about 2 years ago...

Saturday the kids and I whipped up a birch beer, and yesterday I cleaned and sanitized all my empty kegs!

Today I kegged my latest SMaSH and it's on gas with the birch beer getting carbed up...

1413238936924.jpg

I had a busy beer day today.

I stopped by my LHBS and picked up a couple of additional 6 gal Better Bottles and ordered 24 gallons of wine grape juice (6 chardonnay, 6 sangiovese, 6 merlot, 6 cabernet sauvignon). This will put this fall's wine total at 42 gallons. I've gotta figure out where I'm going to put all this wine while it ferments...

20141013_193617-XL.jpg

Next I FINALLY (long, long overdue) cleaned out my kegerator. I replaced all lines, cleaned out all of my kegs, removed my taps, took them apart, and cleaned them. Then I kegged an 8 month old Belgian saison (which tasted soooo good even before carbonation), a cream ale, and a SMaSH IPA.

20141013_193726-XL.jpg

And, of course, I cleaned all of my buckets and carboys.

Back