What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm out of town, so I facetimed my son, had him walk downstairs and show me the IPA bubbling happily away in the fermenter. Ah, that's better.

Dry-hopped my rye pale ale & added a little sugar to the beer; I am giving this method a shot, although I have no control to test against.

Interested in sharing? My favorite porter out there.

This is an email from their head brewer. I've personally modified it to have caramunich instead of Munich and light caramel, and I like to use English hops. This one most recently hit 1.072 exactly, and ended at 1.020. Perfect. So for my 1.5 gallon batches:

3lb 2-row
8oz pale chocolate
6oz caramunich 60
2oz C120
1oz black malt

Mash at 154 for 75 min

Bittered with 7g nugget for 60 min, then 14g goldings in hopstand for 30 min. That got me something like 45 ibu, I believe.

Use us-05 for a great roasted, coffee, chocolate American robust porter. I personally am really enjoying it with t-58, and am going to brew it again with trappist high gravity yeast, but I'm just weird like that ;)

Screenshot_2015-12-08-08-44-24.png

Tested an APA that is done fermenting at 20 days in. Whoa - down to 1.007 - a bit too low but still tasted pretty good - dry but not too dry. Started the cold crash on that.

Then peeked into the ferm fridge I have outdoors taking care of an IPA I brewed last weekend. I've got a heatpad wired into the controller, but still it couldn't handle the 20F outside temps and the ferm temp had sagged down to 16.5C from a desired 20C. I was away on business the last 5 days so I'm not sure when it sagged, but likely it was only Friday when the temps around here dipped hard.

So I placed an additional heatpad in there to boost it back up. Should have completed primary fermentation for the most part so I'm not really worried. I'll bring it back up and monitor for another 5 days. Then we start the dry hop.

This is an email from their head brewer. I've personally modified it to have caramunich instead of Munich and light caramel, and I like to use English hops. This one most recently hit 1.072 exactly, and ended at 1.020. Perfect. So for my 1.5 gallon batches:

3lb 2-row
8oz pale chocolate
6oz caramunich 60
2oz C120
1oz black malt

Mash at 154 for 75 min

Bittered with 7g nugget for 60 min, then 14g goldings in hopstand for 30 min. That got me something like 45 ibu, I believe.

Use us-05 for a great roasted, coffee, chocolate American robust porter. I personally am really enjoying it with t-58, and am going to brew it again with trappist high gravity yeast, but I'm just weird like that ;)

Well this is pretty awesome.

Bottled my Dankzilla heavily columbus hopped IPA and swirled the latest hoppy pilsner to get the yeast back up. Have cracked a few Racer 5 clones (my very first batch that went right) and had to take a nap because of it. Going to buy a bomber of the real thing tomorrow and subject the hubby to a blind taste test just for fun. Although will have to have the glasses in koozies as mine is a bit darker than the real thing. Looking forward to next brew day which should be Friday if things go well, will try a brewers best robust porter kit.

3lb 2-row
8oz pale chocolate
6oz caramunich 60
2oz C120
1oz black malt

Mash at 154 for 75 min

Very nice. Thank you.

Not today, but last night I tried a bottle of my new stout. It came out exactly as I hoped it would. Now I have a stout recipe that is good on it's own, or as a base for any stout I want to make.

Letting the priming solution cool to bottle my 1 Gallon AG porter in a bit. Since it's only one gallon, I want the solution cooled off pretty good, thinking there isn't enough volume to absorb the heat & still have plenty of yeast left for carbonating.

Bottled my second all grain batch today, Yoopers Oatmeal Stout. It tasted really nice! Gonna be hard to wait a couple weeks for carbonation.

Well, I got 8 1/2 bottles after trub losses & such of the AG porter gallon. Now the wait...I also pulled out a couple Hellfire IIPA's. First one poured clear, hops & peppers taste better than they have been?...:mug:

Bottled 3.5 gal of M.O./Citra SMaSH;
Stepped up the starter for my roggenbier to 3L.

Pulled a gravity sample of a light pale ale i made. After 7 days it's fallen from 1.052 to 1.012 Sample tastes very good and I am interested to see where this goes.

Nothing today unfortunately, but two days ago (forgot to post) I bought all my cpvc and little parts to make my sparge arm. Pretty stoked to get it finished up.

Tac

Wondered why my attempt at a Celebration Ale clone has a completely muted hop flavor. The only thing different about this brew from all my others was using 2015 crop hops, and this is the first time I've had this issue with hop flavors. Hopefully it is just something wonky with this batch.

Turns out that I didn't get the Spiedel clean enough and dumped the roggenbier due to a blue-green mold infection. (Thought it tasted a little funny.) Of course, I wasn't smart enough to look at it before siphoning into a keg so I had two more big things to clean today.

Close vessel transferred/kegged my Grapefruit IPA (too bitter), Belgian Dubble, and APA (more like a secondary for the APA) - harvested yeast from each (US-05, WLP 545, Nottingham.)

Set up a stout for tomorrow, going to drain off the Nottingham and pitch it.

Christmas oatmeal stout keg emptied so replaced it with my #9 clone in the kegarator. BTW I will miss the Christmas oatmeal stout can't wait to make it again for this upcoming Christmas.

just got my hops in the mail!

1# Citra
1# Amarillo
0.5# Simcoe
0.5# Mosaic (to experiment with)

Just in time to dry hop my Simcoe/Amarillo IPA that is just about done fermenting

just got my hops in the mail!

1# Citra
1# Amarillo
0.5# Simcoe
0.5# Mosaic (to experiment with)

Just in time to dry hop my Simcoe/Amarillo IPA that is just about done fermenting

Mosaic SMaSH with Marris Otter. You can thank me later.

So far today I've turned on my PicoBrew for beer. My GF started the batch for me, I'll be chilling it when I get home.

I finally decided to rinse the yeast from my beetroot belgian that I kegged a month ago. Opened the fermenter and found a nice pellicle forming. Smelt great. Tossed the fermenter. The joy of cheap fermenters. :ban:

Was making a yeast starter for my Dry English Ale, when I discovered a tiny bit of yeast left in Edinburgh yeast tube, so I made enough starter to regrow the Edinburgh, boost the Dry English, as well as revive an unkown yeast. The unkown yeast I believe was from my Sunkist Honey IPA, poured some of the wort into a shot glass and holy cow she was good, just wish I could remember which brew that was from. hhmm well I'll use it on an experiment and just drink to find out.

Racked my Farmhouse Sour and Sour Saison to secondary for a few months of aging. The saison is at 1.006 and the farmhouse 1.008 after 2 weeks in primary. Both beers taste good but clean, no souring or funkiness.

Kicked my keg of OC pale ale, and hooked up my Stone Ruination. My beetroot Belgian is almost out so looks like I'll be drinking 8.5% beer all week until I get my Black IPA kegged. Hurry up yeasties. :drunk:

Also ordered the stuff for a panhead supercharger clone.

Latest posts

Back