What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked my blonde ale to a keg with priming sugar. I only hope I did it all right. Purged with CO2 a few times and now it sits. I don't have the equipment (or space) to force carb so I'm hoping this works out okay.

Racked my blonde ale to a keg with priming sugar. I only hope I did it all right. Purged with CO2 a few times and now it sits. I don't have the equipment (or space) to force carb so I'm hoping this works out okay.

Did you use about half as much priming sugar as you would to bottle?

Not today, but last night I checked on my all brett beer. 1.050og down to 1.012 in 12 days. Gonna let it sit around another month and bottle if stable.

Finally finished delabeling bottles. It was a multi day effort. Trying to decide if I need a ball valve on both the inlet and the outlet of my new pump, or if just one on the outlet is good enough. Any thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Most people just have one on the outlet because they don't want to choke the flow of liquid going into the pump causing it to lose its prime.

Took the latest quiz in the OU on-line brewing course> Missed one. My own stupidity!
Also picked up a floor corker that will do Belgian Bottle corks @ the LHBS along w/ an extra 5 lb. CO2 tank.

Finally finished delabeling bottles. It was a multi day effort. Trying to decide if I need a ball valve on both the inlet and the outlet of my new pump, or if just one on the outlet is good enough. Any thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Don't put a valve on the inlet of a pump to regulate the flow. It can damage the pump due to induced cavitation from loss of suction head.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I dry hopped 2 carboys. The first on I used a bag with an ounce of leafs and it was tuff to get it into the carboy. The second i just funneled them in. The bag of hops is about 10x the size now so... I look forward to the adventure ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Checked the gravity of my first brew ( Red Ale ) that had been in the bucket for 2 weeks today. It is a brewers best kit and it says to have a FG around 1.011 -1.015. It was at 1.016. Going to leave it for for a few more days then bottle next Friday.

Bottled my IIPA tonight. Tasted and smelled pretty damn good. Can't wait for it to be ready to drink.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Home Brew mobile app

Made a pineapple Graf (hopefully to be ready by Easter) based on a basic brewing podcast. Had to make several adjustments on the fly given some ingred I didn't get enough of, and to adjust for high efficiency, but all went well...

I am hopefully going to brainstorm an inexpensive fix to keep my vinator spring (which is all kinked, need to get a replacement for that as well) from bending sideways and getting kinked during use. If its badass, I will post it in the DIY. Testing today, then an order to Mcmaster for a PTFE tube. I almost might go with stainless.

I'm making a starter for an AG Bell's Two Hearted ale clone (my 1st clone attempt!) that I will brew tomorrow. Also doing the cleaning/prepping for said brew day.

I transferred a five gallon batch, of my "Toasted" Amber Ale, to a keg. Superb caramel malt aroma, from my home toasted crystal malt. Wlp007, put in work and finished clean in less than 9 days. Gotta love it... Given the O.G. was only 1.040.

Also, harvested that yeast slurry, to pitch into my next couple batches.

I drank beer today... Thats bout it! Im working on kicking a keg to refill it. Yeeehaaawwww!!

Yesterday I made a yeast starter. I wanted to pitch at high krausen, but I got started brewing later than anticipated, and missed that by a few hours. Oh well.

DSC_0872-XL.jpg

I'm about 15 minutes into a 90-minute boil on a Briess 2-row/Crystal SMaSH IPA.

DSC_0873-XL.jpg

This is weird brewing in temperatures above freezing for a change! :ban:

Brewing a partial mash Cold Smoke scotch ale clone kit from Austin Homebrew right now (got the mash rest started, just waiting impatiently). This is my first ever partial mash after several extracts. So far, so good (knock on wood)!

Bottled a 2 hearted, dry hopped an amber, brewed a Blue Moon, harvested yeast, drank a variety....Life is good

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Yesterday I made a yeast starter. I wanted to pitch at high krausen, but I got started brewing later than anticipated, and missed that by a few hours. Oh well.

DSC_0872-XL.jpg

I'm about 15 minutes into a 90-minute boil on a Briess 2-row/Crystal SMaSH IPA.

DSC_0873-XL.jpg

This is weird brewing in temperatures above freezing for a change! :ban:

I've also got two homebrew virgins come over in a few minutes that I'm hoping to introduce to homebrew... and if they want to drink, they'll have to be introduced, since all I've got is homebrew on tap and in bottles here! :rockin:

Brew buddies came over and we bottled the black IPA and brewed a White House Honey Ale. Hopefully that will be my last extract batch! :ban:

We also shared a 2012 Dark Lord (a bit too raisiny, but still a very special beer) in honor of one of my friends having started a new job, and we discussed plans to acquire DLD tickets for this year.

Hooked up my IIPA named "Ball Grabber" to the keg last night to carbonate, checked it today, the CO2 was empty. Got to the LHBS just after they closed, but they saw me with tank in hand, opened the door for me.

Also cold crashed my brown ale.

And, finally, worked on kicking my almost empty keg of chocolate porter, since I need an empty keg for my brown ale.

DSC_0872-XL.jpg

I've just recently used a stir plate for the first time, and there was no stage recognizable as "high krausen." The stirring actually kept anything like krausen or even foam from building up. What am I missing or doing wrong?

I've just recently used a stir plate for the first time, and there was no stage recognizable as "high krausen." The stirring actually kept anything like krausen or even foam from building up. What am I missing or doing wrong?

I never see anything that I could call high Krausen, and I pitch it anyway, and I'm making pretty good beer! RDWHAHB!,

I don't know. I'm fairly new to using starters, but every starter I've made definitely had a significant amount of krausen build up, even on a stir plate.

Today I'm brewing my take on a Fat Tire. I borrowed from a recipe I found online called "Flat Ass Tired". Here's the start of the 60 min boil.1394995270166.jpg

Sent from HBT mobile

Pri: empty
Sec: empty
Keg: Vienna Lager
Bottled: Robust Porter and American IPA

Need to figure out this mobile app. Sorry for two pictures and for the orientation being sideways.

Sent from HBT mobile

Pri: empty
Sec: empty
Keg: Vienna Lager
Bottled: Robust Porter and American IPA

I saved a 6 gal ale pale with spigot along with a bench capper and hydrometer from someone's trash. Stuff looks like its never been used.

Im thinking of kegging an IPA thats only been dry hopped for 2 days now... Whatda think?

Im thinking of kegging an IPA thats only been dry hopped for 2 days now... Whatda think?

Do it! If the beer was at room temp, the hops will have had enough time to be infused. I dry hopped w/ 4oz's for two days, on my last IPA and the aroma was crazy.

I'm postponing my brew day, until tomorrow, because it's pretty hot outside. I don't even want to attempt cooling down 5 gallons of hot wort, right now.

Scrubbed out my new 15 gal BK & attached the SS QD to the faucet so I'll be ready for at least three brews this coming week.

Attended my brew clubs monthly meeting and got to hear a special presentation by Adrian Barrera, brewer at Tioga Sequoia. He brought some awesome beers and an almost overwhelming amount of information. He seemed like a great speaker, but the Double Hopped Sherman IPA, Tecumseh Imperial IPA and his yet un-named Black IPA might have biased my opinion.

Finally bottled my Flemish red with grapes after 19 mos in the fermenter. My first sour. A pic of the liquor pre-carb and the pellicle pre-bottling. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395020790.736034.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1395020808.992611.jpg

Back