What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottling day for Lagerpalooza -- 5.25 gal of Citra lager and 5.25 of Zappa Kellerbier. Yielded 52 bottles of each.

Taking a break before the cleanup. After that, beers!

20240208_125701.jpg

Bottled Irish Red. Pitched 2 gal of Mott's on yeast cake for 1st attempt at cider. Hopefully, I'll have something drinkable for St Pat's.

Attachments

• 20240210_133743.jpg
    20240210_133743.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240210_133747.jpg
    20240210_133747.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240210_133857.jpg
    20240210_133857.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240210_141209.jpg
    20240210_141209.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Pulled a gravity sample of the CCC Blonde I brewed a couple of weeks ago and went to the LHBS for ingredients to brew a Brown Ale (Moose Drool clone). Also picked up a new sample cylinder. The old one is so cloudy it’s hard to read the hydrometer.

B3BED973-5A90-472E-9EF9-62AAC43DE098.jpeg

Pulled a gravity sample of the CCC Blonde I brewed a couple of weeks ago and went to the LHBS for ingredients to brew a Brown Ale (Moose Drool clone). Also picked up a new sample cylinder. The old one is so cloudy it’s hard to read the hydrometer.

View attachment 841367
Would you be willing to post your Moose Drool recipe?

Found this little beauty on a beer glass treasure hunt at the local Salvation Army store. Authentic made in Germany, not a Japan knock off. I love my little beer glass raids 🥹. The bourgeois wife will snort and scoff at my " Love for unwanted cast off trash".. Scoff away madame ! It is Precious to me ! It will sit with honor on my kegerator ! Along with the other cast away trash !!!

Attachments

• IMG_20240211_140339070.jpg
    IMG_20240211_140339070.jpg
    875.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240211_140131027.jpg
    IMG_20240211_140131027.jpg
    683 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240211_140219008.jpg
    IMG_20240211_140219008.jpg
    760.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240211_140149520.jpg
    IMG_20240211_140149520.jpg
    805.1 KB · Views: 0
Forcefully kicked the smoked ale, cleaned the line, and threw the weizenbock on (needed it on to bring to our club meeting tonight). Since I already had it on CO2, it was ready to go right off the bat. Sample was tasting nice!

Found this little beauty on a beer glass treasure hunt at the local Salvation Army store. Authentic made in Germany, not a Japan knock off. I love my little beer glass raids 🥹. The bourgeois wife will snort and scoff at my " Love for unwanted cast off trash".. Scoff away madame ! It is Precious to me ! It will sit with honor on my kegerator ! Along with the other cast away trash !!!

Nice find!

I've scoured a few too many thrift stores and garage sales. I can't help myself. :D Now I have way too much glassware. I have a cabinet I built for the barware, and it's perched on top of my beer fridge. It was so full I couldn't reach stuff in the back.

Yesterday I sorted out some of the excess and packed them away (not tossing any away...yet).

The cabinet is more manageable now.

20240213_082331.jpg

Nice find!

I've scoured a few too many thrift stores and garage sales. I can't help myself. :D Now I have way too much glassware. I have a cabinet I built for the barware, and it's perched on top of my beer fridge. It was so full I couldn't reach stuff in the back.

Yesterday I sorted out some of the excess and packed them away (not tossing any away...yet).

View attachment 841667
Now that is SWEET ! I've just over the last few years started finding beer glasses after I had stopped for many years. Many moons ago, I was in the Army stationed in Germany and I had a field day collecting beer mugs and steins from all over Germany, Austria and even 2or 3 from France. Unfortunately for me, when my personal goods were shipped by the Army to my next duty station, every single glass was shattered, including my stereo cabinet glass, tv screen , my curio cabinet glass. Everything that had glass was shattered. 2 years of exploring many cities and towns for beer mugs up in smoke ! So I guess the shock and awe of having my collection unceremoniously destroyed by some crappy moving company knocked the wind out of my beer mug collection desires. That and I'm getting on in years. But now and again, I get the fire burning and just can't help going into a knick knack shop with my reader searching for that elusive cast away authentic European beer mug. 🍻 Cheers

Now that is SWEET ! I've just over the last few years started finding beer glasses after I had stopped for many years. Many moons ago, I was in the Army stationed in Germany and I had a field day collecting beer mugs and steins from all over Germany, Austria and even 2or 3 from France. Unfortunately for me, when my personal goods were shipped by the Army to my next duty station, every single glass was shattered, including my stereo cabinet glass, tv screen , my curio cabinet glass. Everything that had glass was shattered. 2 years of exploring many cities and towns for beer mugs up in smoke ! So I guess the shock and awe of having my collection unceremoniously destroyed by some crappy moving company knocked the wind out of my beer mug collection desires. That and I'm getting on in years. But now and again, I get the fire burning and just can't help going into a knick knack shop with my reader searching for that elusive cast away authentic European beer mug. 🍻 Cheers

Damn, that's heartbreaking. Uncle Sam's lowest-bidding movers. If you're ever in Minneapolis, look me up. I'll give you some of my excess glass.

I did score some snazzy Czech Budweiser stem glasses when I was in Germany in the '80s. In a bar in Nurnberg, and after having a few pilsners, I asked the bartender if he'd sell me a few. Gave him 20DM (about $5), and he handed me a carton of 4 new glasses. Then he pocketed the money. :p

They all survived the trip home, but not the years since. I still have 2 left.

20240213_125205.jpg

My "trophy" Bierstein, I bought at a shop in Munich. Think I paid around DM200. I wrapped it in t-shirts and took it home carry-on. I didn't trust the mail.

20240213_124705.jpg

Last edited:
Nice find!

View attachment 841667
I've got one of those Samuel Smith glassed, a longtime fav. Also a Guinness like it. Recently acquired, it was my step-dad's.

Damn, that's heartbreaking. Uncle Sam's lowest-bidding movers. If you're ever in Minneapolis, look me up. I'll give you some of my excess glass.

I did score some snazzy Czech Budweiser stem glasses when I was in Germany in the '80s. In a bar in Nurnberg, and after having a few pilsners, I asked the bartender if he'd sell me a few. Gave him 20DM (about $5), and he handed me a carton of 4 new glasses. Then he pocketed the money. :p

They all survived the trip home, but not the years since. I still have 2 left.

View attachment 841680

My "trophy" Bierstein, I bought at a shop in Munich. Think I paid around DM200. I wrapped it in t-shirts and took it home carry-on. I didn't trust the mail.

View attachment 841688
Very nice ! I was there in the 80's too. Schweinfurt mostly , 3rd ID medic and Wurzburg Army hospital. Made it to Nuremberg a few times, raising Cane at Monsters of Rock and Club Jacko lantern, getting chased by local gestapo and German shepherds the size of ponys' through the bahnhof...a thousand years ago. 😂

Don't even have any empty kegs but I have an empty chamber and a brewin' jones going on and need to brew something tomorrow!
Started by firing up my RO controller to fill the brew rig (LCD screen doesn't photograph well)...

ab_14feb2024_1.jpg

....and I kegged my latest batch of Juicy Bits clone to free up a chamber.

ab_14feb2024_3.jpg

While the rig was filling and the keg contents were transferring I got the grains measured out for tomorrow's batch of Fantastic Haze neipa clone...

ab_14feb2024_2.jpg
ab_14feb2024_4.jpg

Measured out the water salts to be added to the kettles in the morning while the empty carboys soaked their krausen rings.

ab_14feb2024_5.jpg

All set for the morning!

Cheers!

Nah, my 16 five gallon cornies have served me well over the many years. I'm just jumping the gun on my brewing schedule because the weather isn't conducive to anything outside, really, and I've run out of indoor winter home projects. And I recently found out that I'm going to need another knee surgery to fix what didn't get fixed a year ago May, and when that happens - likely in March - I'm going to be off line for probably a couple of months...

Cheers!

Nah, my 16 five gallon cornies have served me well over the many years. I'm just jumping the gun on my brewing schedule because the weather isn't conducive to anything outside, really, and I've run out of indoor winter home projects. And I recently found out that I'm going to need another knee surgery to fix what didn't get fixed a year ago May, and when that happens - likely in March - I'm going to be off line for probably a couple of months...

Cheers!
This is smart.

Prior to doing the kidney donation, I realized that I had a rare opportunity to have my brewery, fermenters, and kegs idle for...erm, an undetermined amount of time.

Unfortunately, kidney donation doesn't happen on a hard schedule. Everything is fluid and dependent on the prior test. There are no hard dates and the whole thing can come crashing down at any point. You simply can't make any plans.

And then the next thing you know...

You're stuck in Oregon for three months wondering WTF just happened?!

I sure wish I had brewed a nice big Baltic Porter before I left, that's been a decades-long dream of mine. Unfortunately, because of the way kidney donations work, I had no clue when anything was going to happen so I wound up coming back to a couple of kegs that were about to kick.

Would that I could've done it differently.

I won't bore y'all with the play-by-play on this batch - you've seen my stuff lots of times already ;) But I did brew my Fantastic Haze neipa clone today, and aside from missing the OG by a point it went great, capped by perhaps the best kettle lautering experience with my Hop Blocker V2 to date.

We start near the end - the whirlpooling just below 170°F - and comparing my 2 foot long Thermoworks digital against the Blichmann BrewMometer. I'll take that correlation :)

ab_15feb2024_1.jpg

Post kettle-lautering with the mass of hop sludge left behind...

ab_15feb2024_2.jpg

Brilliant wort!

ab_15feb2024_3.jpg

Gassed up and in chamber 3, as chamber 1 is full of filled kegs, and the overflow two kegs from yesterday's filling went in chamber 2...

ab_15feb2024_4.jpg

Next mission: kill a couple of kegs! :rock:

Cheers!

Already "doing for beer" this morning, had a cup o' java then went down to check out how yesterday's batch was doing. Decent krausen happening and plenty of bubbling going on.

ab_16feb2024_1.jpg

Then I look closer at the LCD strips and they're sitting at 62°F - and that ain't right. I check the chamber's BrewPi controller and notice it has the heater on, but the fridge was running as well and was down around 48°F. I took the controller to the shop, verified it had a stuck-on "Cool" relay, grabbed a spare dual relay module, swapped it in, and verified no more "hot Cool".

ab_16feb2024_2.jpg

Plugged it back up to the chamber and it's doing normal stuff again.

ab_16feb2024_3.jpg

Have to say I'm impressed my brave 1318 wee beasties were hanging in tough while their world turned chilly. I usually start them off at 66°F for 4~5 days then bump up a couple of degrees 'til it's time to soft crash. This time things went in an opposite direction but they still managed a good looking head after just 10 hours.

Onwards!

Cheers!
Been there done that my friend. My left knee replacement was the worse pain of my life and I've been putting off replacing the right for 3 years. Wouldn't wish that on anyone. Good luck

Ran up to one of the Last Standing LHBS's within driving distance to pick up some random stuff, then came home to do even more for beer! :rock:

Started by swapping out a pair of kicked kegs in the keezer - my Juicy Bits clone and an original recipe All Your Citra [Are Belong To Us] (packed to the rafters with Citra) both neipas...

ab_20feb2024_3.jpg

Fired up the Mark II and cleaned both kegs...

ab_20feb2024_5.jpg

Decided my keezer's drip tray needed some love. After 4 years of use our hard water deposits had added up to "a lot".
Attacked it with a BKF paste, a scrubby and a toothbrush...

ab_20feb2024_1.jpg

Not bad but needs more love than I had time for today. I'll hit it again when I get a chance, clean up that west end, and remove the rinser head to really get under it...

ab_20feb2024_2.jpg

Cleaned and polished up the tower and faucets and got everything brightened up. It'll do :)

ab_20feb2024_4.jpg

Cheers!

Brewing my 1.107 OG chocolate stout today. Always a bit of an adventure mashing 46 pounds of grains in a 20 gallon mlt. Can barely reach the bottom with my big spoon to give the underlet dough in a good stir...

20240222_093754.jpg

Onwards!

[edit] The lautering begins. Goes in clear, comes out black! Magic! And almost an hour to chill...

20240222_120606.jpg

Ever onward!

[wrap up] Had to boil two extra quarts of wort pulled from under the FB as I missed my original pre-boil gravity by two points. But I had nothing better to do than spend an extra 20 minutes boiling and with that the OG came in dead nuts on at 1.107 with 11 gallons to the carboys.

Having had four back surgeries including the last one - a three unit lumbar fusion - I have to be hella careful moving this MFer!

ab_22feb2024_3.jpg

Carboys pitched, gassed and stuck in the chamber next door to last Thursday's neipa...

ab_22feb2024_4.jpg

Gear cleaned up and stashed away, with a celebratory pour to end the session...

ab_22feb2024_5.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
If was me I would have already showed it to the pipe cutter
It’s the pipe cutters fault! While I was reaming the cut end the blade folded (because it is really too big for that tube) and something got me. Probably the jagged cut end. It’s not operator error! :no:

Back