What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Topped off the barley wine barrel with red rye ipa; last time I topped it off with an older, less-attenuated barley wine. That plus the Brett should make for some serious complexity and an ABV of about 12%.

Harvested the NeoMex hops, have them drying in the backyard because the next Brewday is at least a week away. Watching the other hops for their harvest days.
3D9BA482-E3AD-4F9D-BFC8-2F12DCD75064.jpeg
C50D3472-74D9-42C1-B33F-F0337BFFC929.jpeg
96B321F5-FA1B-4E2D-9D78-42E9CE71BE2A.jpeg

Lost my momentum last night after getting 5g of the 10g batch chilled and set up with Loki to ferment in the house (Mosaic NEIPA); so the other 5g no-chilled overnight (and today, was too tired this morning). Just kegged the last superhighpressure cream ale, and racked the lager wort right onto the yeast cake. This one won't get the three-day treatment, letting it sit at 20psi for about 5-6 days to see how it does. Forgot one of the bonuses of no-chill; left a lot of break in the bottom of the kettle, this one should turn out very pretty.

I'm not trying to brag, but damn, the two beers I've done so far under high pressure and higher temperature turned out pretty darned good. Learned a valuable lesson with the last one; gravity test had this one at 8 Brix (1.014 from 1.061) and tasted a bit sweet before I started the crash. Not anymore, it dried out a bit more to a very tasty slightly corny beer. If I do it again, I'll try for the same result.

And yes, there is a downside; it's young. Doesn't really taste it, but oh boy the hangover (if I have too much) is epic.

Not one of my best days.

It's been hella humid Doggie Days here lately so I went to swap the sodden pair of 60mm fan-driven EVA Dry E-500 desiccators in my keezer for a dry pair, and caught one of the fans with a finger and snapped off a blade. Dug into my random parts stash to dig out another fan and soldered that one in place. Good to go, made a Google Note to stock a new spare (Love Google Notes!)

Later, I totally murdered one of my beloved - and officially irreplaceable - Boulevard Brewing Tank 7 glasses. It was sitting on a granite counter, went to pick it up and instead knocked it into the sink and turned it half way back to sand. Arrgh! Fortunately I have two more never-used stashed away, but that was my go-to glass since 2017.

In memoriam...

1693281319545.png

Brewed a kolsch style beer today, pretty uneventful except for getting about 6 percent better brewhouse efficiency, more beer and slightly higher gravity.

Kegged my best bitter and Piwo Grodziskie which closes out my contest beer brewing for the year.

Took my brewlabs TT starter off the stirplate and put in the fridge to crash for a few days. Slants progressing well and will put those in the fridge in a few days.

Started the day procuring 5lbs of frozen cherries for my cherry porter, tough finding frozen sour cherries with no added sugar or preservatives..3rd stop at a "health food store " provided me with 5 lbs, back home,my wife toasted 1 lb of cocoa nibs and thawed the cherries, meanwhile, I drained off the trub and yeast cake from the previously made porter so I could add the cherries and nibs, plan on leaving these there for 4 weeks, from there I washed and sanatized 50 odd bottles , along with my transfer pump, botteling bucket and gear, from there my wife and I bottled my first Octoberfest of the season.. now I'm sitting on the front yard swing, enjoying my black IPA and a box of cheese its!
I cant think of a better way to kick off a ling weekend.

Attachments

• 20230901_154946.jpg
    20230901_154946.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230901_141422.jpg
    20230901_141422.jpg
    910 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230901_133241.jpg
    20230901_133241.jpg
    696.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230901_132252.jpg
    20230901_132252.jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230901_123520.jpg
    20230901_123520.jpg
    689.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230901_123510.jpg
    20230901_123510.jpg
    753.2 KB · Views: 0
E3FEFF32-6EE4-4FFA-ACB0-2CB9F23CF36E.jpeg

Installed some new tap handles and a drip tray. Yes, I realize it isn’t big enough for all three taps. I never have 3 on anyway 😎

If you are looking for an easy magnetic solution for a drip tray on a keezer, this CMS Magnetics tray does the job. You can find it on Amazon for about $20.

Cheers!

Bought a new HD monitor for the home 'office' (read: my garage/brewspace) as the old one was a Dell that I got from my mother about 10 years ago, after she had had it for at least 8 years. Only $79 at wallyworld, now HBT is super easy to read and youtube is a joy. Now I'll be able to watch brewing videos without squinting or lamenting on the poor resolution. Oh, and kegging off the lager from the split 10g batch from last weekend. I didn't intend for it to be a fast one, but it was done.

After a 1 week delay, Assistent Braulein and I got 5 and a fraction gallons of Hobyob American Amber Ale all the way thru the process into the fermenter. Brewtarget predicted 1.057 and we hit 1.062, once again showing how much more efficient it is to grind your own grain.

Celebrated by eating a pizza and quaffing one of the Amber Grain ales.

For years I’ve brewed on our gas stove in the kitchen. Picked up this Camp Chef stove so I can brew in the garage. This is its inaugural run. I’m brewing an Old Rasputin clone and a NEIPA. Nice cool morning to be brewing. Then I’ll mow the yard and watch college football.
View attachment 828493

I still have my camp stove (similar to yours but the cheaper version) that I used for years before I got my brewstand up and running. Still use it, on those occasions when our friends host a group brewday. I'm on natural gas now, I do NOT miss cleaning the propane soot off my kettles! Good on you for upgrading.

I still have my camp stove (similar to yours but the cheaper version) that I used for years before I got my brewstand up and running. Still use it, on those occasions when our friends host a group brewday. I'm on natural gas now, I do NOT miss cleaning the propane soot off my kettles! Good on you for upgrading.
Thanks! I’m excited for the upgrade. It’s great seeing the brew setups everyone posts here on HBT. We all may have different setups and processes, but with the same end goal in mind: excellent home brewed beer! 🍺

Made a quick trip to LHBS for more wheat, also Imperial Stefon yeast for a hefeweizen I'm planning for tomorrow. And talked to my good friend the LHBS proprietor about using molasses in the next iron brewer competition for the club; about decided on a schwarzbier.
Imperial Stefon is a great yeast and takes off quickly. I brewed my Hefeweisen and dunkelweisen a week apart so I could top crop the yeast from the hefe and pitch into the dunkel. Both came out wonderful.

For years I’ve brewed on our gas stove in the kitchen. Picked up this Camp Chef stove so I can brew in the garage. This is its inaugural run. I’m brewing an Old Rasputin clone and a NEIPA. Nice cool morning to be brewing. Then I’ll mow the yard and watch college football.
View attachment 828493
And it makes a great emergency cooktop, too!

Kegged the lager, wort was from a hombrew club brew day at Scholb in Torrance. Just added some Hallertau Magnum after bringing it up to temp. Dry, lightly bitter, looking forward to cold and carbonated.

EDIT: Had more time than expected, so also kegged the Pale Ale. Also wort from Scholb, but this one got a WP and DDH of Galena.

Last edited:
Drove 75mi one way to buy a few secondary regulators. Guy selling them, flips auctioned storage units, he had a bunch of bar equipment from a unit, that was the “extra crap” that came with some appliances he wanted in a unit.

$50 for 3 regs- but I ended up with 4 for the same price.

We talked for a while, as he didn’t know what secondary regulators were or much about homebrewing in general.

He then asked if I wanted the “CO2 tanks” that went with them free of charge, otherwise his scrapper buddy was gonna take them.

He pulled out these three beauties and I just had to save them from being melted down like Woody and Buzz… at least that’s how I justified it to my lovely wife.

IMG_0634.jpeg

Not bad for a $50 FB Market Place haul!

Just tested all the secondaries- they all function as they should!

Any ideas on how to “de-gross-ify” the inside of the regulators? Or will just leaving them on CO2 for a while kill off unwanted microbial hitchhikers?

They really aren’t bad looking, I just know they’ve been in a dusty storage place for years.

after nipping at the keg all day and going through my homebrew junk i got the weird idea of mounting a tap inside my kegerator? i dont want to drill holes anywhere so i just clamped a shank onto one of the shelves in the door. i know its very last minute but its much more fun to pour out of than my picnic taps. now im thinking of the kitchen fridge next. if i dont have to drill holes the missus will prolly let me put a tap inside there.

Attachments

• 1693967310603.png
    1693967310603.png
    954.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1693967331216.png
    1693967331216.png
    834.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back