What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegged another batch of Fantastic Haze clone...

fantastic_haze_3.jpg

...and am now watching Bruins vs Lightning while kitting up for tomorrow's imperial chocolate stout brew...

Cheers!

Kegged the Wheat Ale I brewed a couple of weeks ago. I used a new to me keg. Changed the o-rings but didn’t pressure test it before transferring the beer. Doh. It leaks fairly quickly, but no amount of spraying, dunking, or listening has revealed the source. So, I retrieved another empty and pressurized it. So far, so good. I do have enough hardware to rig a liquid-to-liquid line to transfer, but I’m going to give the recieving keg a few hours, just to be sure.

Stovetop 2.5 gal BIAB batch today. It's my go-to.

2-row, golden promise, and a little crystal 60. Magnum, Centennial and Chinook.
Split into 2 fermenters: wlp001 Cal ale in one, wlp002 English ale in the other. Will dry hop both with Centennial and Chinook when the krausen falls.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 20230326_090331.jpg
    20230326_090331.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230326_202708.jpg
    20230326_202708.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Today’s Goodwill finds. I especially love the design of these martini glasses. .5L mug, I now have 3.

View attachment 815538
It's so wonderful to know I'm not the only brewer who enjoys going on barbarian brew glass raids !!! My wife still scoffs and turns her nose up at my war bounty ! She just doesn't understand that to us it's priceless treasure !! 🤣😂

Stovetop 2.5 gal BIAB batch today. It's my go-to.

2-row, golden promise, and a little crystal 60. Magnum, Centennial and Chinook.
Split into 2 fermenters: wlp001 Cal ale in one, wlp002 English ale in the other. Will dry hop both with Centennial and Chinook when the krausen falls.

Cheers.
Love love love Golden Promise

My Vittles Vault cracked for the last time, so I pulled the trigger and bent my chill plate down on my mini fridge to fit a standard bucket in there. The task was as easy as described, but without the ceiling mounts, the plate just kinda flops around back there.

I modeled some crude clips in SketchUp, saved as STL, and printed off a couple, then used some double stick tape to fasten them. Works really well! Can't upload STL files, but if I can PM it, I will upon request.

20230326_153712.jpg
20230326_182932.jpg

Bottled off the mead I made last month using local raspberry honey, and champagne yeast for the first time. Came out a bit dryer than I expected, but still a very tasty drink. Not so dry that I need to backsweeten it, tastes like a good dry riesling to me. Going to let it sit in the bottles for another month then give some away, and save some for fall competitions.

Just bottled my latest batch of " Dobby the house bitter" .
Not sure about this one ... used yeast recovered from my homemade "Burton Union" system ... tasted a bit off ... not sour but not what I expected either . I'll let it carb up and then evaluate it again.
was going to use a different strain yeast on the next batch anyway.

Do have a picture to share? That sounds interesting.
Lol , I wish it was interesting ... it was just a blowoff tube and a sanitized collection jar :p Sorry to disappoint .
I have been harvesting yeast from Trub at end of fermentation successfully but I thought maybe I would get better results harvesting from Krauzen via a caveman "Burton Union" . The yeast I harvested looked nice and clean , no hops etc . so I had hopes for the technique as my one gallon fermenters always blow off Krauzen anyway so might as well collect the yeast.
I'm not sure yet if it was a failure , will have to wait and see .

Kegged my Elysian (kinda) Men's Room clone on Novalager that I brewed last week, using my tried & true pressure lid; that decided to fail on me. Probably an o-ring. So quickly set up the other pressure lid, which fortunately does not leak but was letting a ton of bubbles into the keg. Said the heck with it and let it finish (no foam, thank ninkasi) only to find out that the barb under the lid was loose. Yah, that will let in some bubbles. Also told myself no more kegging on brew days, it's just too hectic.

Back after a few years off (formerly @catdaddy66) and that was due to personal issues. I was still brewing but not as much but today my brother and I did our first batch this year, a California Common with Triple Perle hops and wlp810. Decided that at our current pace it would be better to do ten gallon batches.

Attachments

• 91665633614828280491680462483917.jpg
    91665633614828280491680462483917.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230402_203514324.jpg
    IMG_20230402_203514324.jpg
    769.6 KB · Views: 0
Working on getting past the disappointment of not getting a medal in last competition; I know a three of the five didn't deserve one, but the other two should have got thirds. And although I only have two scoresheets so far, my old nemesis oxidation is getting mentioned in one that I thought had the best chance, an NEIPA that was less than 10 days old when it got sent in. I go as LODO as I can with my system, the only thing I can think of is the bottling. Next time going to purge the bottles with co2 before filling them. Big surprise was the Witbier I entered, first one I've ever sent to a comp; got a 38 aggregate, don't have the scoresheet yet but anxious to see what went right with it. Personally I think it's a bit too belgian-ey. Oh well, somebody has to drink all this beer.

And trying my hand tonight at a 1g batch; doing an english porter. Got way too low a preboil gravity (did a modified BIAB) but it smells and looks great.

Bottled my 2.5 gal split batch, WLP001 Cal Ale vs. WLP002 English Ale in an American IPA. Just wrapped up a 2-day dry hop with Chinook and Centennial. Filled to within .75 in (~2 cm) of the top and pushed a shot of wine preservative (argon+co2) under the cap before sealing. Stoked ... both tasted great out of the fermenter.

Attachments

• 20230403_210128.jpg
    20230403_210128.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
So far I got my starter of Czech yeast going for tomorrow's Pilsner Urquell Clone brew. Constructed a temporary make shift temperature controlled fermentation chamber for an IPA I brewed Sunday. And still pressure testing this leaking conical and getting the water ready for tomorrow.IMG_20230404_125839686.jpgIMG_20230404_125819644_HDR.jpgIMG_20230404_125846677.jpg

And the wife thinks that I don't think about anything but beer. Ha Ha, I didn't even mention the word beer.

Working on getting past the disappointment of not getting a medal in last competition; I know a three of the five didn't deserve one, but the other two should have got thirds. And although I only have two scoresheets so far, my old nemesis oxidation is getting mentioned in one that I thought had the best chance, an NEIPA that was less than 10 days old when it got sent in. I go as LODO as I can with my system, the only thing I can think of is the bottling. Next time going to purge the bottles with co2 before filling them. Big surprise was the Witbier I entered, first one I've ever sent to a comp; got a 38 aggregate, don't have the scoresheet yet but anxious to see what went right with it. Personally I think it's a bit too belgian-ey. Oh well, somebody has to drink all this beer.

And trying my hand tonight at a 1g batch; doing an english porter. Got way too low a preboil gravity (did a modified BIAB) but it smells and looks great.
Bolded a sentence for emphasis - definitely do this! Bottling has been my nemesis for years; for competitions especially, it is a critical step. For me it took getting a tapcooler bottle filler to mitigate the oxygen exposure and more consistently medal.

Keeping track of the early fermentation process at about 48 hours it's off the chain! Active doesn't begin to describe it lol there was good krausen at 24 hours but the liquid is churning vigorously.

Attachments

• IMG_20230404_205821939_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230404_205821939_HDR.jpg
    922.2 KB · Views: 0
Back