What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Entered Nationals, 1st competition I have ever entered.
Me, too (not today -- when the entries opened. I'm catching up).

What I did do today was move the Hubig's Revenge out into the garage to start cold lagering after carbing for 2 weeks in the house (around 70º).

I ordered a pizza and beer at a local brewpub. A schwarzbier. Well made beer. I think I’ll have another.

486D712D-C52E-46A8-96FC-C74782A7782A.jpeg

I had a double-brew and double-keg weekend. I kegged my Barleywine. It finished at 1.020 with 10.7% abv. I also kegged my Imperial Stout. It finished at 1.026 and 10.6%. I also brewed two English beers, a best bitter and a brown. My kegerator if finally back to being full.

Put together my latest Hop Dropper configuration, this one for a Flex+ I'm using on loan for a year or so. 4" to 3" adapter at the bottom to fit the Flex+ 4" port. Replaced a clear sight glass (and all its fiddly rods and cap nuts) with a straight SS pipe.

9tZtCwO.jpg

Put together my latest Hop Dropper configuration, this one for a Flex+ I'm using on loan for a year or so. 4" to 3" adapter at the bottom to fit the Flex+ 4" port. Replaced a clear sight glass (and all its fiddly rods and cap nuts) with a straight SS pipe.

9tZtCwO.jpg
My Lord ! Are you brewing beer or making a Star Trek planetary probe !?!! 🤣. Still. Looks nice... whatever it is !!!

My Lord ! Are you brewing beer or making a Star Trek planetary probe !?!! 🤣. Still. Looks nice... whatever it is !!!

It goes on top of a conical fermenter, with the butterfly valve open, and a spunding valve (serving as an airlock) on top. When it's time to dry hop (or drop in any sort of ingredient), the butterfly valve is closed, the cap is removed, hops (or whatever) are added, cap is re-installed, CO2 source is attached, pipe is purged with CO2 (alternating pressurize/release cycles), CO2 source is removed, butterfly valve is opened (dropping hops into fermenter), spunding valve is replaced.

Basically, the closed fermenation says closed.

Last edited:
I had a jar of 3711 yeast from last March, made a starter and it woke up and had vigorous action on the stir plate within twelve hours, added additional starter twice and cold crashed it, so that I can put some back up and brew on Friday or Saturday. I was surprised how fast it woke up.

Wanted to brew last couple 'o days but life keeps getting in the way . BUT I did plant a hop rhyzome today and a Muscadine .
LOL , that's what I was thinking ... impressive...don't know what it is but it's impressive.
It goes on top of a conical fermenter, with the butterfly valve open, and a spunding valve (serving as an airlock) on top. When it's time to dry hop (or drop in any sort of ingredient), the butterfly valve is closed, the cap is removed, hops (or whatever) are added, cap is re-installed, CO2 source is attached, pipe is purged with CO2 (alternating pressurize/release cycles), CO2 source is removed, butterfly valve is opened (dropping hops into fermenter), spunding valve is replaced.

Basically, the closed fermenation says closed.
So in my profession ( Deep sea diver) you made a Med lock . A med lock is what we use to pass food and supplies to the divers who are living under pressure in a saturation diving system .
well i just put malt in the dryer/deculmer for brew day either tomorrow, or day after.....going to be my first batch of beer since 10-12-22...

been too long!
Awesome that you malt your own barley . :bigmug:

InBev owns Northern Brewer ?

you didn't know that? i learned to malt late 2015 when they bought miller/coors, and they bought NB in early 2016....then sold it to some investment firm, probably under their umbrela..

the sad facts More beer is hippy pot growers, and NB is macro brew....drug DEALERS are the worst....that's why i like drinking! :mug:

Well I knew northern Brewer was buying out the other HB shops like AIH and Austin etc. but didn't know they were InBev .
I've just got back into homebrewing so am out of the loop . There was no internet when I was doing this before . :rolleyes: I just bought my **** from the local hardware store that had a homebrew section.

I transferred my one gallon Mandarin Orange Melomel onto 6 oz fresh squeezed Mandarin Orange juice today. This an experimental batch to see if it will self carbonate using a spunding valve for the next 14 days. After the initional 14 days the spunding valve will be removed to continue fermenting slowly while capturing the carbonation. It currently taste great. I can't wait till it has aged 6 months. At that time I'll adjust carbonation as needed. I'm shooting for a semi dry sparkling melomel.
20230211_090648.jpg

Checked on the WF lager I made yesterday; it's going a bit slow, possibly because I have a pressure lid on it. Valve is wide open, don't have the gauge on it yet, but it's not going as crazy as it usually does with an airlock or blowoff. Also checked the mead from yesterday as well; fermenting this one on Lutra for an experiment, and it's already slowed waaaaaaay down from the frenetic pace it started out with. Going to add some more fermax to it in a bit.

And got back not long ago from taking the oldest dog on her final journey. Was peaceful and quick, with us both there telling her how much we love her. My eyes are going to be puffy for a while. Young dog got lots of treats and love when we got home, she's a bit confused but we hope she'll be okay. Going to see how she does as an only dog for a while, as neither of us have any vacation available to acclimate a new dog into the family.

Back