What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegged up a Hazy Pale …

Attachments

• 20865847-451B-4732-9FFC-B74FC8E292CE.jpeg
    20865847-451B-4732-9FFC-B74FC8E292CE.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 948B8ED6-E26D-49AF-8B29-6EFBB9F3942D.jpeg
    948B8ED6-E26D-49AF-8B29-6EFBB9F3942D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Bottled my Christmas Sugar Cookie blonde ale, and organized my supplies.
Wow that's great! I had planned on a sugar cookie white ale too but wasn't quite sure how to go about flavoring it. Not alot online. I thought about sugar cookie extract from Amazon or a combination of vanilla, almond, and butter emulsion extract with cinnamon and nutmeg and a bit of lactose to sweeten it a bit but chickened out and decided to go with the ubiquitous spices that I've always used in the Xmas Porter or stout, sweet orange peel, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Have you made this before? Very interested to know how it comes out and how you flavored it if you don't mind. I have not brewed it yet but was planning on doing it this week. Already bought the grains and spices.

Wow that's great! I had planned on a sugar cookie white ale too but wasn't quite sure how to go about flavoring it. Not alot online. I thought about sugar cookie extract from Amazon or a combination of vanilla, almond, and butter emulsion extract with cinnamon and nutmeg and a bit of lactose to sweeten it a bit but chickened out and decided to go with the ubiquitous spices that I've always used in the Xmas Porter or stout, sweet orange peel, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Have you made this before? Very interested to know how it comes out and how you flavored it if you don't mind. I have not brewed it yet but was planning on doing it this week. Already bought the grains and spices.
Never made this before! I made the mistake to add Vanilla and almond extract i secondary and it came out a bit over done. Too much extract. I posted a recipe earlier on this thread and I think if I only added a small amount of almond extract it would have been perfect. I believe it would have been good without adding anything to it. I’m hoping that once it gets carbonated and settles a bit it might end up smoothing out. It smells like sugar cookies. Taste meh…

Never made this before! I made the mistake to add Vanilla and almond extract i secondary and it came out a bit over done. Too much extract. I posted a recipe earlier on this thread and I think if I only added a small amount of almond extract it would have been perfect. I believe it would have been good without adding anything to it. I’m hoping that once it gets carbonated and settles a bit it might end up smoothing out. It smells like sugar cookies. Taste meh

Never made this before! I made the mistake to add Vanilla and almond extract i secondary and it came out a bit over done. Too much extract. I posted a recipe earlier on this thread and I think if I only added a small amount of almond extract it would have been perfect. I believe it would have been good without adding anything to it. I’m hoping that once it gets carbonated and settles a bit it might end up smoothing out. It smells like sugar cookies. Taste meh
What size batch and how much extract did you use ? I was thinking an ounce of each for 5 gallon batch...vanilla, almond and butter emulsion. I'm too chicken though 🤣 ! Only enough time for 1 batch before Xmas so I'm leaning on being safe and going with the normal spices. Please post how it taste when you keg or bottle.

I'm giving you a LIKE even though I have no idea what I'm looking at 🤣
Thank you, (takes a humble bow) that mangled piece of plastic is the bung from a cask. Both wood and plastic are single use, so there’s no need to preserve it. Having the tool or a really hefty long screw driver would have left it more recognizable.

What size batch and how much extract did you use ? I was thinking an ounce of each for 5 gallon batch...vanilla, almond and butter emulsion. I'm too chicken though 🤣 ! Only enough time for 1 batch before Xmas so I'm leaning on being safe and going with the normal spices. Please post how it taste when you keg or bottle.
I made it up myself. My wife makes sugar cookies for Christmas and suggested I make one. So here goes.

12 lbs 2-row
2 lbs c-20
3-11 oz boxes of Crav’n vanilla wafers in the mash
158 degree mash 1 hour.
2 oz Styrian Cardinale hops 60 min.
1-11 oz box Crav’n vanilla wafer in boil 10 min.

I plan on vanilla bean in secondary and addition 4oz almond extract in secondary. Not sure about that but will taste it first.

We will see

This is the recipe I followed. The Vanilla wafers really was enough by themselves. But I added 1 more fl.oz of Vanilla Extract and 4fl.oz of Almond Extract.

I could send you a bottle?

I made it up myself. My wife makes sugar cookies for Christmas and suggested I make one. So here goes.

12 lbs 2-row
2 lbs c-20
158 degree mash 1 hour.

I plan on vanilla bean in secondary and addition 4oz almond extract in secondary. Not sure about that but will taste it first.

We will see

This is the recipe I followed. The Vanilla wafers really was enough by themselves. But I added 1 more fl.oz of Vanilla Extract and 4fl.oz of Almond Extract.

Would have never thought of using Vanilla wafers. 🤔 hmmmm

12 lbs 2-row
2 lbs c-20
158 degree mash 1 hour.

We will see

Post your thoughts on your finished product. Sounds D-Lish !

12 lbs 2-row
2 lbs c-20
158 degree mash 1 hour.

We will see

Don't Vanilla wafers have preservatives ?

Post your thoughts on your finished product. Sounds D-Lish !
This is roughly what I've settled on. But if I'm gonna try sugar cookie...don't know yet , ... I would just take away the sweet orange peel and ginger and add in the vanilla, almond and butter emulsion extract..?? . The yeast is WB-06 to impart a natural clove taste. I've never had success with adding cloves to the boil. Much better success with clove taste from yeast. I think I'll stick to the recipe you see, then after Xmas scale all this down to a 1.5 gallon sugar cookie beer experiment . Better safe than sorry !! 🤣😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221122-132640.png
    Screenshot_20221122-132640.png
    274.4 KB · Views: 0
Brewed up two beers after two abysmal failures at NA. First beer was an imperial honey lager that went without a hitch. It’s going at 65 with 34/70 and I’m very excited for it.

Next beer was from the 2nd runnings of that beer, came in at 1.005, put a couple ounces of centennial, and small amount of yeast to hopefully make a successful NA beer this time. Calling it 3rd Times a Charm since it’s both my 3rd attempt at an NA and for my wife who is pregnant with our third kid. (Crosses fingers)

Checked on the carbonation of the honey Brown. Only been carbonating for 2 days at 20 psi but I guess I should have turned it down to 10 after 1 day. Micro stone really carbed it up. A little too much foam even with the perlick flow control. Darn tasty though.

Attachments

• IMG_20221123_171700580.jpg
    IMG_20221123_171700580.jpg
    836.9 KB · Views: 0
Finally removed my tail that was stuck between my legs after getting a horrible (24.5 aggregate) score for my last competition. Entered in wrong category, should have known better. Today kegged latest Lutra Blonde that should be ready to tap during brewday/cooking marathon tomorrow. And milled grain for said brewday. And prepped what should be some really tasty homemade dinner rolls for dinner tomorrow. Turkey is in the fridge under a thick coat of salt and herbs, first time trying the 'dry-brining' method. Every year I tell myself I will use one of the kettles to deep-fry a turkey, and every year I nope out of it. Have a nice oven now with air-fry function so going to go that route. Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday tomorrow.

Finally removed my tail that was stuck between my legs after getting a horrible (24.5 aggregate) score for my last competition. Entered in wrong category, should have known better. Today kegged latest Lutra Blonde that should be ready to tap during brewday/cooking marathon tomorrow. And milled grain for said brewday. And prepped what should be some really tasty homemade dinner rolls for dinner tomorrow. Turkey is in the fridge under a thick coat of salt and herbs, first time trying the 'dry-brining' method. Every year I tell myself I will use one of the kettles to deep-fry a turkey, and every year I nope out of it. Have a nice oven now with air-fry function so going to go that route. Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday tomorrow.
Wrong category happens to many… be nice to yourself, and do enjoy your thanksgiving. Cheers! 🍻

Just finished what was nearly a perfect brewday; I say nearly, because gotta be something every session. This time I forgot to shake up the Imperial Loki before I opened it, oops. But I'd sanitized the pack, and my hands; so just dunked the open pack into the wort, shook it a bit, and all the yeast is now in the fermonster. Did another batch of my House Citra/Sabro NEIPA; haven't had it on tap since late summer, when I brewed it for a competition that got cancelled. Green goo all up the sides of the BK, even an hour later and the brewery still smells wonderfully of those tasty hops. All cleaning done, sitting here gloating because I can. Still 2.5 hours before the turkey goes in the oven, gonna go sew. Happy Turkey Day, All!!

Kegged the American Wheat I brewed a few weeks ago. It’s my month to cook for the local Lion’s Club meeting next week so I thought I’d bring some real beer to go with the Busch Latte that’s usually available at these functions. :cool:
Other than my 1st cousin I've never seen anyone here in S.E Michigan drink Busch. It's ALL he drinks. I did however enjoy Busch Copper lager for the short amount of time it was in production.

Other than my 1st cousin I've never seen anyone here in S.E Michigan drink Busch. It's ALL he drinks. I did however enjoy Busch Copper lager for the short amount of time it was in production.
I actually enjoy a good Busch Light every once in a while. I live in northern Michigan and it a lot of what the locals drink. I can drink any kind of beer but prefer craft. And of course my HB and our clubs members HB. I’m originally from SE MI. Grew up drinking Miller High life and Budweiser.

I actually enjoy a good Busch Light every once in a while. I live in northern Michigan and it a lot of what the locals drink. I can drink any kind of beer but prefer craft. And of course my HB and our clubs members HB. I’m originally from SE MI. Grew up drinking Miller High life and Budweiser.
And….. Strohs!!!

Ok so now there's 2 people who I know in Michigan who drink it 🤣😂. Most of the guys I grew up with... a century ago...drank bud man in a can. I was a Strohs and Moosehead kind of teen myself. Then at 19 in the Army in Germany discovered the real world of German and other European beers. Have not really had many American beers since then except I do like Sam Adams and their seasonals. Love me some Old Fezziweg !! 😂

Brewed an el dorado golden ale, everything went smoothly. Gravity shot before adding some invert sugar.
IMG_4554 - Copy.JPG

Took a torch to the cracked bottom of my skinny hydro tube and got it hot enough to stop leaking. Before heating I could only see a semi circle fracture around the edge, the star impact fracture showed up after heating. Also pictured is the crusty back up ready for when I break it real good.
IMG_4552 - Copy.JPG

Milled grain for tomorrow's brewday; trying to recreate the American Strong I aged on bourbon soaked oak cubes, for spring competitions. THIS time will enter the beer in the right category. And just sat here for 15 minutes rethinking how I want to brew it. I have the capacity to brew either 3-vessel or BIAB; and I'm thinking this time will do a mishmash of the two. My mash tun is just a 10g igloo cooler, and with the temperature in the brewery/garage hovering at 50°, doesn't keep temperature very well, even if preheated. Grain bill for this recipe is 17lbs, bit big for the tun. So what I'm planning is to mash in the 16g BK (aka the BIAB kettle) so I can increase the temperature if needed; run off 2g first runnings for a reduction, then run the rest into the warmed mash tun. Sparge into the BK with what I need, pull the bag with the hoist, squish the bag, then dump the mash tun into the BK and go to town on the boil. Will adjust boil time as needed depending on what volume I get. Reduction goes in towards end of boil, depending on where the volume is/hop additions (all CTZ) are at. Going to add some more time/work to the brewday, but I'm thinking it will work well. This is one of the things I love about brewing beer; makes me think.

Back